Carolina Crown 2015

I can't believe the oversights in these comments. I love the interaction of the organ into the show. That is spot-on perfect and it belongs!

The piece right before the ballad (Adagio in G Minor), "Symphony for Organ and Percussion" is just simply bad ### awesome! Favorite part of the show. That is just owning it!

I am glad folks could figure out the ending is not at all even close to a finish product or even much of what the closer will be. Could you not see the flag line at the start of that doing simple flag twirls? LOL Sorry, just a bit of a jab.

Anyways, the point of the show is a "preview" and that is what we got. I am sure there will be uniform change at the end to seem less hellish. ;-)

The snare line is and the battery in general is playing awesome! Will be interesting when the guard gets its performance silks. This is definitely a vehicle they can drive towards a DCI championship.

There is a lot of interesting interaction during the percussion feature with the guard closely integrated with the battery. Could not see clearly from the angle of the video what was going on or in a few other spots.

​The comments about how the ballad should be played are just mind-boggling from you folks. Have you not heard that piece before??? My gosh, they are playing it just about spot-on, not deviating much at all off the proper playing of it. Again, the organ integration in the show is awesome and well thought out, even playing with the hornline in the Symphony for Organ and Percussion piece.

Can't see what hell this show gets. ;-)

That organ was super super annoying. It was practically covering the brass. I'd rather they just not use it.

I can't believe the oversights in these comments. I love the interaction of the organ into the show. That is spot-on perfect and it belongs!

The piece right before the ballad (Adagio in G Minor), "Symphony for Organ and Percussion" is just simply bad ### awesome! Favorite part of the show. That is just owning it!

I am glad folks could figure out the ending is not at all even close to a finish product or even much of what the closer will be. Could you not see the flag line at the start of that doing simple flag twirls? LOL Sorry, just a bit of a jab.

Anyways, the point of the show is a "preview" and that is what we got. I am sure there will be uniform change at the end to seem less hellish. ;-)

The snare line is and the battery in general is playing awesome! Will be interesting when the guard gets its performance silks. This is definitely a vehicle they can drive towards a DCI championship.

There is a lot of interesting interaction during the percussion feature with the guard closely integrated with the battery. Could not see clearly from the angle of the video what was going on or in a few other spots.

​The comments about how the ballad should be played are just mind-boggling from you folks. Have you not heard that piece before??? My gosh, they are playing it just about spot-on, not deviating much at all off the proper playing of it. Again, the organ integration in the show is awesome and well thought out, even playing with the hornline in the Symphony for Organ and Percussion piece.

Can't see what hell this show gets. ;-)

Wait, you can say "hell" on DCP?!?!?!?! :wow:

Sorry guy, but just because some people don't agree with your gushing synopsis of the preview show, doesn't mean it's an "oversight" by them. It's their opinion, it's different than yours and they're entitled to them. Get over it.

Agreed, and some (myself included), may have seen only one run through. From his comprehensive critique, sounds like he wrote it. I'll getore opportunities to see them and I'm sure with clarity and development, it will be a strong program. Honestly, Crown has the best track record for enjoyable shows for me personally, since 2007, last year was the first Crown show I didn't love.
  • Like 1

That organ was super super annoying. It was practically covering the brass. I'd rather they just not use it.

Agreed. Organ is NOT drum corps.

Organ was cool. Drumline made me happy. Yeah, the end feels unfinished, by I have faith they'll fix that. Overall, I really like it and am looking forward to seeing and hearing it better on Wednesday.

-Mike

(And for the record, I did not like the 2009 show either.)

• Like 1

The only faith that most people should have right now in Crown is the talent of the members, the brass, and the guard. Everything else is up in the air. Most people know that the question marks for Crown are visual, GE, and percussion. I will make no observations at this point. Everyone just try to hold off getting too harsh until we observe how the judges react to the show and more importantly how the staff deals with the feedback they get.

I think the organ is great. They may just need to turn down the volume a little. I think their staging is ten times better than last year because they can use the whole field. The music is classically dark. I would have preferred darker selections, but Crown, because of Harloff, can play anything well. The guard will be excellent as well as the brass and I think they have a good potential for visual because they have not limited themselves by putting mostly unused props on the field.

Edited by Nachfolger Christi
  • Like 1

N.E. Brigand -- re: Avon, there is a lot of design team crossover between the two programs, and the connection has been drawn before (Avon 2004, a show about football, in many ways ended up serving as a test bed for Crown 2007).

Didn't know that. Thanks.

Agreed. Organ is NOT drum corps.

That's hilarious. Nobody ever thought a synthesizer effect would ever garner one of the biggest crowd responses in DCI either -- until it happened last year. It's a new world. Get used to it, because it's just the tip of the iceberg.

• Like 2