Carolina Crown 2015

They announced last years show on May 17th. I believe it was Mother's Day weekend last year. So I would predict we should find out soon.

regardless of how stupid i think the (leaky) "cone of silence" is, it's their drum corps and they get to play the game the way they see fit. so i just accept that and move on.

if it were up to me, i'd out-cadet the cadets in releasing info. fans LOVE it -- even when there's a huge course change.

Actually last year Crown had that Fan Network special preview before the start of the season. They didn't release their show info until near last, but then we were all able to see the entire show - in uniform and with staff interviews. That was really appreciated.

I wonder if DCI, Crown or another corps have something similar planned for this year.

Crown has placed in the top four every year since 2008 with last year being the sole exception.

And as I recall, in their fifth place finish last year, they earned the highest Finals score ever achieved in that position. (Displacing SCV's Ballet for Martha of 2009, which had displaced Cadets' Les Miserables of 1989. Although the latter is probably the most impressive, having held up for twenty years.)

Well . . . after some research that piece is . . . Messi di Requiem.

http://youtu.be/Cnc1JFa0GWw

My favorite corps performance of that tune is by Colts in 1999.

Still up, actually.

Crown's production this year is going to be so....this !

Nicely done. An accurate hint, but no one got it.

Doesn't one have to be dead for Dante's Inferno???

Well, for starters, one school of thought holds that the entire story of the poem takes place in a dream, although this is never explicitly stated. But even if not, the poem explains how a living person can be in Hell.

The story is about the author, Dante, when he was, as the poem's first words say, "midway through my life's journey", i.e. 35 years old (half of the Biblical allotment of three score and ten), which happens to have been the year A.D. 1300. Having strayed from the path of righteousness, he is menaced in a "dark wood" by three beasts which symbolize different kinds of sin. The poem is full of symbolism and allusion, plus lots of references to the vicious local politics of early 14th Century Italy. Dante had been banished from his home town of Florence, for which he partly blamed Pope Boniface VIII.

Dante is saved from sin by the intercession, in Heaven, of Beatrice, a young lady, some years deceased by that point, to whom he had been devoted (but they apparently were never romantically involved). At her request, the spirit of Virgil is summoned to teach Dante the error of his ways by guiding him to the depth of Hell and then to the top of the mountain of Purgatory. (For those unversed in Christian metaphysics: Purgatory is where souls are scourged of their minor sins before being allowed to progress to Heaven: they're tortured, but all for a good cause.)

Dante loved Virgil's poetry, but theological consistency required that the soul of the Roman poet had to reside in Hell, because he was not a Christian. Dante sets him in from Limbo, the outermost circle of Hell, where the spirits of noble pagans like Virgil and Homer (plus unbaptized babies) suffer only from deprivation--because they will never know God--but are not tortured, unlike the rest of Hell's denizens.

Because Virgil died without knowing the revelation of Christ, he is unable to lead Dante on the final third of the journey, through Heaven. Beatrice takes over as they move through the various planetary spheres. In Dante's cosmology, the earth is the center of the universe, but that's not necessarily a good thing, because at the earth's center is Hell. At the end, he gets a glimpse of God, and then returns to himself. Or wakes up. Again, it's not quite clear.

I would note that Dante's poem is not very exciting by modern standards. It's basically a traveler's tale, or a tourist's guide, and in the Inferno particularly, he settles a lot of grudges. Many real people that he knew are described as being tortured in all sorts of nasty ways. And those who hadn't died yet weren't safe. In one case, he has a pope in Hell predict that the one then living would soon be joining him. In another, the character of Dante is surprised to find the soul of a man he knows to be alive in Hell. That person explains that sometimes, if you're very wicked, your soul goes straight to Hell while you're still living and a demon animates your body.

• Like 1

Some say their show will be out of this world.

• Like 1

As I read some of these concepts and ideas for shows, my concern is you need to get your point across and develop it in a ten minute show. I always thought the simpler concepts work best because the tone is set and designers have ample opportunity to layer and develop it because it's a simple concept.

Some say their show will be out of this world.

About a year late with the others that used that same hint or "joke" if that was your intention.