Carolina Crown 2015

Well, took my son to see ensemble today. Was fun watching Hannum work with the kids. I will have to say that the corps feels like they're a bit behind where they've been in years past, but hey, it's only April. The music is solid, but don't expect your typical crown show. This gives me kinda a feeling of Crown mixed with 1992 Star. A little dark, some funky chords, and a fun drum solo. Horns are solid, and will be much better once Matt gets hold of them. Good stuff from Crown. Do I think the show is designed to win? Not where it's at right now, but it's only April. I shot video but was told we can't post until after they make their show announcement. Bummer...

You had me at Crown mixed with 1992 Star and some funky chords!

• Like 1

And thus part of the reason Crown does not release show details. They really don't finalize their design until very late in the spring. (yeah and the other part of the reason is they think keeping a lid on the show builds more excitement in the off-season)

Anyway -- I think compared to last season's show they're in much better shape design-wise. I haven't heard anything from this weekend yet but based on previous camps they did not seem to be behind their normal progress.

Last year I think they talked themselves into believing they'd be able to "figure out" a lot of design elements in spring training and -- clearly -- they never did.

Corpsband steps in to reassure us all is well in the Crowndom.

• Like 1

Corpsband steps in to reassure us all is well in the Crowndom.

Did you expect anything less? Lol!

Um-- it's ALWAYS that way in Crowndom. It's the rest of the world that is occasionally off-kilter :biggrin:

WOW- it's just as if the kid was still marching :colgate:

For what has been leaked/ posted....it's easy to tell this IS going to be a much different show than the last bunch of years. One that nobody will be able to say they are following a "Formula" this year. This will be your year......IF you wanted to hear a Crown hornline to play dark/ evil music. Even the ballad (if you would call it that) is haunting.

They have a ton of work ahead of them, but there is a renewed focus and determination along with a impressively beefed up battery. Now, what does that mean? Right now at the end of April after their last camp.....nothing and they will let their performance do the speaking come mid June.

I know they've avoided the former Star repertoire but I'd really, really, really like to hear Crown take on Belshazzar's Feast !

If only. My favorite bit of drum corps music ever. Funky chords, wonderful fanfares, and positional sound. ....and those mellophones were especially sublime... Crown and club would most certainly do Belshazzar's Feast justice, AND a Belshazzar show could go well thematically as a transition from this year's show ( Hell theme) to a lighter show ( Heaven theme)....

This recent incarnation would also be great with other Sir William Walton music, especially Walton's First Symphony ( which they've done before). The current Carolina Crown would sound especially wonderful with the Johannesburg Festival Overture and Richard III music.

• Like 1