Carolina Crown 2015

For those who haven't read the Divine Comedy, it can be an Inferno only show and still end with the Ode to Joy. Inferno ends in the pre-dawn of Easter morning looking at the stars and "the beautiful things that heaven bears."

Similarly. We can be just alive and dandy as Virgil being lead by Beatrice through the 9 rings.

• Like 2

Doesn't one have to be dead for Dante's Inferno???

Maybe only within a corporeal sense....

Well, took my son to see ensemble today. Was fun watching Hannum work with the kids. I will have to say that the corps feels like they're a bit behind where they've been in years past, but hey, it's only April. The music is solid, but don't expect your typical crown show. This gives me kinda a feeling of Crown mixed with 1992 Star. A little dark, some funky chords, and a fun drum solo. Horns are solid, and will be much better once Matt gets hold of them. Good stuff from Crown. Do I think the show is designed to win? Not where it's at right now, but it's only April. I shot video but was told we can't post until after they make their show announcement. Bummer...

For those who haven't read the Divine Comedy, it can be an Inferno only show and still end with the Ode to Joy. Inferno ends in the pre-dawn of Easter morning looking at the stars and "the beautiful things that heaven bears."

Similarly. We can be just alive and dandy as Virgil being lead by Beatrice through the 9 rings.

exactly right about the end of the Inferno.

The Guide and I into that hidden road

Now entered, to return to the bright world;

And without care of having any rest

We mounted up, he first and I the second,

Till I beheld through a round aperture

Some of the beauteous things that Heaven doth bear;

Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars.

close regarding the living -- Dante himself is alive and led by Virgil (who is presumably a spirit). in fact Charon is reluctant to let Dante cross the Acheron on his ferry because Dante is still a living being.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inferno_(Dante)

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1001/1001-h/1001-h.htm

Edited by corpsband

Well, took my son to see ensemble today. Was fun watching Hannum work with the kids. I will have to say that the corps feels like they're a bit behind where they've been in years past, but hey, it's only April. The music is solid, but don't expect your typical crown show. This gives me kinda a feeling of Crown mixed with 1992 Star. A little dark, some funky chords, and a fun drum solo. Horns are solid, and will be much better once Matt gets hold of them. Good stuff from Crown. Do I think the show is designed to win? Not where it's at right now, but it's only April. I shot video but was told we can't post until after they make their show announcement. Bummer...

This sums up my thoughts on what I saw today as well.

This sums up my thoughts on what I saw today as well.

And thus part of the reason Crown does not release show details. They really don't finalize their design until very late in the spring. (yeah and the other part of the reason is they think keeping a lid on the show builds more excitement in the off-season)

Anyway -- I think compared to last season's show they're in much better shape design-wise. I haven't heard anything from this weekend yet but based on previous camps they did not seem to be behind their normal progress.

Last year I think they talked themselves into believing they'd be able to "figure out" a lot of design elements in spring training and -- clearly -- they never did.

• Like 1

SO much rethinking is done during the season. I'm sure they're solid in all captions. Sometimes you just have to get it done and then start sculpturing it.

• Like 4