Dinosaurs acting like dinosaurs in the age of dinosaurs

What is this thread about? This is the craziest thing I think I have ever seen on the internet, and that says a lot.

I'm not sure, but I think it's this:

Jurassic-World.jpg

Haven't you heard, John Williams doesn't allow people to arrange his stuff too much any more?

Edited by jjeffeory

For me, this topic is a 'win' if it convinces even one current DCI corps member that any expressed uneasiness here, is NOT a personal attack on what they are doing. Such unrest has been a part of our wonderful activity since it all began. It's part of the aging process. A process in which, even they will participate over time. As we (or just some) age, we become increasingly uncomfortable with change. Change in any aspect of our daily lives, not just our drum corps lives. For dinner, some dinos still prefer a nice steak over applesauce. Nothing against applesauce!

Today, I enjoyed a wonderful meal with three fellow Buccaneer Alumni members. I was the youngest, at age (nearly) 64! We watched a bunch of stuff from YouTube, spanning the period from 1980 through the present. Most of our 'wows' came from what today's members are doing. We were particularly impressed by the 2014 Carolina Crown brass ensemble. We smiled in approval!

Edited by Fred Windish

I took a quick peak at corpsreps and In Lynn that year, 27th Lancers won the World Open, they also won the Danny Thomas Invitational in Lawrence. They placed 7th at CYO Nationals. Competitors in the three shows which were days apart included Troopers, SCV, Madison, Blue Rock, Blue Stars, Cavies, to name some, and of course BAC. BAC did not place ahead SCV, Cavies, and Troopers in Lawrence, and placed below SCV, Madison, Cavies, Kingsmen, and Troopers at Lynn. My guess is either a: the writer was a 27th fan who did not like the placement at CYO Nationals, and given that 1971 was not too long after the IC Reveries disbanding and the founding of 27th and there were still some hard feelings that some probably believed would have been reflected in the judging (the historical thread has tons of stuff on alleged biased judging), this could be plausible. More likely is possibility b: the writer probably believed BAC deserved better.

Now if I am correct with my BAC theory, can you imagine what the writer would have thought of "Animal Farm" or young men dressed as "Titans" in 2012? He would probably have been appalled by guys running around in what he would have considered mini skirts.

On another note, when was the last time that drum corps controversies were important enough to merit an article in one of the nation's largest newspapers?

I took a quick peak at corpsreps and In Lynn that year, 27th Lancers won the World Open, they also won the Danny Thomas Invitational in Lawrence. They placed 7th at CYO Nationals. Competitors in the three shows which were days apart included Troopers, SCV, Madison, Blue Rock, Blue Stars, Cavies, to name some, and of course BAC. BAC did not place ahead SCV, Cavies, and Troopers in Lawrence, and placed below SCV, Madison, Cavies, Kingsmen, and Troopers at Lynn. My guess is either a: the writer was a 27th fan who did not like the placement at CYO Nationals, and given that 1971 was not too long after the IC Reveries disbanding and the founding of 27th and there were still some hard feelings that some probably believed would have been reflected in the judging (the historical thread has tons of stuff on alleged biased judging), this could be plausible. More likely is possibility b: the writer probably believed BAC deserved better.

Now if I am correct with my BAC theory, can you imagine what the writer would have thought of "Animal Farm" or young men dressed as "Titans" in 2012? He would probably have been appalled by guys running around in what he would have considered mini skirts.

On another note, when was the last time that drum corps controversies were important enough to merit an article in one of the nation's largest newspapers?

• Like 1

For me, this topic is a 'win' if it convinces even one current DCI corps member that any expressed uneasiness here, is NOT a personal attack on what they are doing.

Why would they think that?

People post here for various reasons. Often, it is to promote their own favorite corps, possibly at the expense of all others. Nearly anyone smart enough to march drum corps is also smart enough to figure that out.

As we (or just some) age, we become increasingly uncomfortable with change. Change in any aspect of our daily lives, not just our drum corps lives.

Speak for yourself. Have you noticed how many of the people driving major changes in this activity are over 50?

It would be convenient to attribute criticism to a generic aversion to change. That would spare us the messy process of evaluating each change on its own merits - just write off the critics as dinosaurs. But not all changes are created equal. Some changes face opposition from younger people. Some are welcomed by people of all ages.

• Like 1

For me, this topic is a 'win' if it convinces even one current DCI corps member that any expressed uneasiness here, is NOT a personal attack on what they are doing.

This thread is a " win " already in that it is my belief that today's marchers are smart enough and mature enough to understand that the frequent use of dead animals from long ago to describe former fans and marchers on this site has absolutely nothing at all to do with them. And that one would be hard pressed to find any complaints on this site that has ever criticized the young marchers themselves. And that by far the worst complainers( behind closed doors with a computer too ) of the DCI Corps of late have been adults of Corps complaining about other adults and these Corps within DCI itself. And with every one of these behind closed doors adult complainers fitting the classic and conventional definition of a Drum Corps " dinosaur " that we frequently find as a phrase utilized on this site.

So your fear and concern that this DCP site has done, or will future do, " personal attacks " ( your words ) on the current and future young DCI Corps members and their participation in the activity will most likely continue to be a complete non issue. Hopefully this reply of mine will set you at ease on these unwarranted fears of yours that you've just expressed.

Edited by BRASSO

Thanks for the link. I'd thought that article was gone to the ether.

And, while not a newspaper, let's not forget the CBS Evening news story just this past August on Brandon the snare in BD. That there was some pretty great pub for the activity, if not so controversial.

(What was REALLY weird about that was describing the cosmic shift that night it aired. I was sitting in Lucas Oil, watching the CBS Evening News on the Jumbo-tron do a story about a kid who was to be on the field live in just a few minutes. KaBoom. Mind blown.)

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

And so his personal opinion would be what ? Invalid ? Not worthy to be expressed ? Need to be censored ? What ?

Its his opinion.. no more, no less.

Oh the horror of someone expressing what they like or don't like.

Can you imagine the outcry here if DCI marchers and instruction coaches in football stadiums today were booed, received catcalls, profanity laced criticisms, ridicules,, their mothers accused of unholy extracurricular activities (if you get my drift) during and after performances ? ( which happens to just about all 18-22 year olders in college football participation today )., Somebody, somewhere might say he or she doesn't like what adults are putting out on the Drum Corps field, and a few on here seemingly get a case of the vapors. They need to get a grip, imo. As far as we know, no marchers in 1971 were disturbed by the opinion expressed by Herb Cole of a show in 1971. They all seemed to withstand his simple personal opinion pretty well, it seems to me.

Edited by BRASSO