Fan Network - Why have you forsaken me?

Well, based on the the shows that have been removed, it appears that DCI was contacted by at least the license holders for music by Leonard Bernstein, Chick Corea, Ottorini Respighi, Andrew Lloyd Webber, and John Williams.

John Williams is always one of the first names in these copyright discussions. But then why is 1978 Madison still up?

Since so many people here are telling us they know all about copyrights, we should be able to get answers to a few questions:

a. Which publisher is this? Should be easy enough to tell just from the music involved.

b. What is the nature of this new demand? Is it really "cease and desist"? Or is it a change to the cost of compliance that makes it impractical, like we have had with certain video licenses for hard copies? Or some other change in terms?

c. If a publisher is making a new demand, it should apply to their music wherever/whenever it is used. Why would it not apply to any shows after 1999?

I may be in the minority here and this is a little off topic, but I wish some of the publishing companies and composers would take notice that when the corps pick their music to play for a summer, its a wonderful advertisement for them and sells CD's and printed music for them. I am sure there are many band directors (like myself) who have heard things on the field from DCI, went out and purchased the recording, then sometimes even went a step further and decided to do it with their own band, arrange it (pay another fee), buy the stock arrangement, buy the concert band arrangement or original work, etc.

Back in the 80's and 90's, I was buying CD's of music I never would have heard of otherwise, all because I wanted the source material recordings of things corps like Star, BD, Cadets, Cavies, Phantom were playing... think of the present day - I am sure quite a few people checked the source music for Bluecoats show this past summer, and in the process, gave the various composers or artists from that music some more exposure, etc.

My point, instead of the publishing companies constantly charging more and more for video sync rights, online rights, etc., they should realize that wow, these corps performances are actually getting the composers of some of this music some exposure, which in turn puts some money in their pockets when band directors buy music, fans buy original recordings, etc.

I know this is a pie in the sky outlook about it, but I really think they could look at it another way sometimes.

• Like 4

I came up with the exact same list, and also Gershwin, but only Rhapsody in Blue, which is odd. That 84 Garfield was spared is also odd.

This was taken from the suite of 5 dances from West Side Story, and it may be that Garfield asked for permission to arrange, and it may also be that because the music is so stylistically accurate and representing of the Bernstein style that it was allowed to stay. I really don't know.

Remember, the Bernstein office, according to an article I read, will no longer tolerate arrangements that are not characteristically accurate of the Meastro's composition style.

I will also say this: clearly the bulk of the removed recordings are from the 70s and 80s, and some from the 90s. Back in those days I always had the feeling the corps were hoping no one would notice. Since 2000 DCI and the corps have seemingly done a better job of conveying their intentions with the publishing companies. Things like Permission to arrange, mechanical licenses, etc. Let's see if DCI can renegotiate with publishers/composers and get the recordings back up.

I have this feeling they can with most of them. Some of them may never return to online without there being some additional cost, and some may never return because the publishers feel the arrangements are not characteristic of the composer's style. This is becoming a big deal with the national copyright office.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 4

I will also say this: clearly the bulk of the removed recordings are from the 70s and 80s, and some from the 90s. Back in those days I always had the feeling the corps were hoping no one would notice.

Yep, always thought Drum Corps was under the radar and if noticed wasn't worth the effort to bother.

Now nothing gets missed thanks to the Internet and we have become a much more thin skinned, sue happy society. Before it stuff happened we kept going. Now it's stop and try to find fault and git 'em. And some legal team seems to be happy to help in the gitting..... (OK we watch Retro and Anntenna TV at times and lot of 1-800-BAD-DRUGS and other lawyer commercials.)

Yep, always thought Drum Corps was under the radar and if noticed wasn't worth the effort to bother.

Now nothing gets missed thanks to the Internet and we have become a much more thin skinned, sue happy society. Before it stuff happened we kept going. Now it's stop and try to find fault and git 'em. And some legal team seems to be happy to help in the gitting..... (OK we watch Retro and Anntenna TV at times and lot of 1-800-BAD-DRUGS and other lawyer commercials.)

Wait - the problem is: drum corps became TOO POPULAR and got itself noticed?

My world is exploding.

• Like 3

Yup, but unfortunately now it's play the game or it's bye bye to DCI and every corps that refuses to play the game.

Wait - the problem is: drum corps became TOO POPULAR and got itself noticed?

My world is exploding.

Nope real problem is Al Gore invented the Internet and now everythig is out in the open with the right Google search words...

Yup, but unfortunately now it's play the game or it's bye bye to DCI and every corps that refuses to play the game.

Amen brothers and sisters amen.....

Always thought drum corps (individual corps and the activity itself) is one good "Oh crap" from going away.

DCA FN has a grand total of 2 shows prior to 2000s. Understand it's because DCA is trying to make sure all legalities are correct and with a limited budget. Granted there are less older Sr corps vids but there are more than one would expect.

Edited by JimF-LowBari