Fan Network - Why have you forsaken me?

Frankly, DCI isn't selling the product that I want in a nice package.

I want the top 12 in Bluray, then the rest of the top 25 on DVD. I want the historical shows too.

I've been able to do this with the FN + Bluray, but now that I can't count on the videos being available on FN, I want the DVDs.

DCI needs to add this option ( Bluray + DVD + FN).

http://youtu.be/Fu62k4K4sQ4?t=5s (This link is safe for work) You have to watch it to understand the below "Quotes". Just some comic relief.

Fan: "Ahhh! It's Phantom of the Opera!"

DCI: "It sounds like Phantom of the Opera, but due to copyright laws, It's not."

Fan:"Still, we should cheer like it is Phantom of the Opera!"

DCI: "Though it isn't." :wink:

Just my 2-cents on the situation. In all seriousness now, Being a Fan Network subscriber, I was extremely mad to find that half of my favorite shows, plus my overall favorite, SCV '89, is no longer on the site. I personally think that they should have let us know ahead of time. It was a huge surprise, and I hope they make it up to us subscribers sometime.

Ah, but they didn't. See my next post, specifically the listings for 1985, 1987, and 1989.

At least '88 and '92 are in tact!

Sorry, maybe you've already been corrected on this. I don't believe anyone here has made that contention. DCI likely has been advised by legal counsel to take this action and make no public statement about it that might raise the ire of the copyright holder.

1. Don't you see the difference between one- or two-off emails and a "public statement"?

2. Don't you see this tact as logical and in the best interest of DCI? Especially with the knowledge, mentioned here before, that most everyone is in Chicago for some confab. The lawyer needs the time to study and prepare, they need to talk it through at the meeting, and prepare an appropriate strategy on a timeline that THEY desire.

I just don't get all the angst here.

Midwest Music Clinic. the largest band type gathering out there. incredible ensembles, famous composers, conductors, you name it

Frankly, DCI isn't selling the product that I want in a nice package.

I want the top 12 in Bluray, then the rest of the top 25 on DVD. I want the historical shows too.

I've been able to do this with the FN + Bluray, but now that I can't count on the videos being available on FN, I want the DVDs.

DCI needs to add this option ( Bluray + DVD + FN).

Why would you want BlueRay *and* DVD? That makes no sens to me. Wouldn't you just want one or the other, with BlueRay easily winning out if you have the tech to play it?

Am I missing something?

So, I'm curious about the feelings of the remaining brain trust:

The FN is $70 as I understand it. And now there is the reality that it's primary purpose is to provide streaming shows. Any older shows still available are on time-delay and, likely, will diminish in number over time.

So, taking into account the regional and finals shows you're able to attend, is $70 worth seeing 6 or 7 shows live each year? Yes, $10 or $12 per showing, no matter how many friends are viewing on the 60" Visio.

Is it still worth it?

yes. take those shows and then add up the ticket prices. blows the hell out of $70

It's a prudent action by DCI and a total catch 22 situation. Legal issues on one side and a ###### off fan base on the other...which has the greater potential cost? That's your course of action right there.

#### off a small but vocal fan base or get sued out of existence?

that's the prudent choice to consider

http://youtu.be/Fu62k4K4sQ4?t=5s (This link is safe for work) You have to watch it to understand the below "Quotes". Just some comic relief.

Fan: "Ahhh! It's Phantom of the Opera!"

DCI: "It sounds like Phantom of the Opera, but due to copyright laws, It's not."

Fan:"Still, we should cheer like it is Phantom of the Opera!"

DCI: "Though it isn't." :wink:

Just my 2-cents on the situation. In all seriousness now, Being a Fan Network subscriber, I was extremely mad to find that half of my favorite shows, plus my overall favorite, SCV '89, is no longer on the site. I personally think that they should have let us know ahead of time. It was a huge surprise, and I hope they make it up to us subscribers sometime.

DCI got no warning.

what is so hard for people to ####### understand?

DCI was given no notice this was coming. it was do it this second or else.

Why would you want BlueRay *and* DVD? That makes no sens to me. Wouldn't you just want one or the other, with BlueRay easily winning out if you have the tech to play it?

Am I missing something?

Yup. You need to read the post again because you're missing something.

I want 1-12 place corps on Bluray. Then I want 13-25 on DVD. Finally I want the FN for the current year stuff.

My reasoning is that DCI doesn't produce 13-25 place on Bluray but they do produce those on DVD. Otherwise, I'd really just prefer to have the top 25 corps on bluray. Hopefully that makes more sense now.

They don't offer that package. They DID offer something like that on VHS back in the day, which I purchased.

What I did was simply ask for something that they could offer now, without DCI making any changes to what they do.

Edited by jjeffeory

Are you skeptical of the 10% stat or am I misreading your post? Because I'm somewhat skeptical of that stat too.

No, I'm not skeptical. I just don't have the facts that, apparently, others do.

I do question whether the kind of audiences we've had on FN up to now are sufficient to justify making such broad changes, though.

But that's only because I don't have the facts. I seem to recall that last year's success in live broadcast was a paid number of, what, 8,000 or so?

In an activity that hosts hundreds of thousands of fans per year, I'm skeptical that broad changes in media production should be made based on such "young" numbers.