Petition to Air DCI Finals on CBS

I signed the petition proudly. I've read the the stories and the tweet and i've read all of the statements made here.

The suggestion was not that finals should be televised in primetime on CBS but on CBS Sports, the CBS cable channel. Exposure is not a bad thing and this thing of ours is becoming more narrow every year.

That'd be 10 times better than most of the stuff that gets shown on CBS Sports

Is anyone here under the thought that DCI created the petition? It was created by an individual - not DCI. Just Saying.

• Like 1

Right now more people have signed the petition than the total 2014 finals week attendance. At this point DCI & CBS should at least consider the broadcast.

50,000 people is a very tiny amount. That is not going to be enough to convince CBS to air finals on TV.

• Like 1

*Awakens from off-season hibernation*

*Gets out from under rock*

- Jim Rome isn't as relevant as he used to be. The backlash got more attention than his original tweet. That's a victory.

- The petition is a nice gesture and I will eventually sign it. At the very least, it raises DCI's profile. But ...

- Having DCI on CBS daytime/CBS Sports won't happen and shouldn't happen. I'm glad the ESPN experiment happened, but my god ... those broadcasts were awful. Too much dumbed-down filler ("this is a tuba" ... "this is a rifle" ... "this is dutting"), too little performances. Don't forget the copryright headaches. It would be the same or worse with CBS.

- Rome spending "a day in the life" of a DCI member will never happen. He likes the comfy confines of his studio (learned from the Rush Limbaugh school of media).

- If DCI wants to get back into the television game, they should raise money for a 2+ hour documentary ... something in the vein of MTV's "True Life," HBO's "Hard Knocks" or PBS's "Broadway or Bust." Have it be testimonials/video diary's from 3-5 people from various corps through out a DCI season. It's ultimately the touring aspect that sells the activity, otherwise people wouldn't commit to it. There's not as many copyright headaches and there's zero live production headaches.

- As much as I hate college marching band, it's good to see drum corps peeps involved in this. That said ...

- Don't call it the "marching arts." I know people are looking for a uniform term for all of the activities, but "marching arts" is almost self-parody. I'd almost rather call it "Music In Motion."

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar
  • Like 1

50,000 people is a very tiny amount. That is not going to be enough to convince CBS to air finals on TV.

CBS brought back the show 'Jericho' after only 4,791 people mailed in peanuts to their headquarters in NYC & LA, in protest of Jericho's recent cancelation. There was a petition that went along with the peanut effort that im pretty sure didn't even hit 40k.

Right now more people have signed the petition than the total 2014 finals week attendance. At this point DCI & CBS should at least consider the broadcast.

but...who will pay for it? DCI can't afford that, look what ESPN did to the finances.

• Like 1

Back on the topic of the TV broadcast...

In my opinion... DCI really has no business putting finals on TV. You don't televise an event to get exposure. You televise an event because you already have a huge audience and you want to make money by selling advertising. Business wise, it's simply a bad investment. If DCI wanted to make strides towards something like that again, we'd need to start small. Right now, we really don't have a unified source of drum corps action. We all get our fix by going to shows and paying ungodly amounts of money on DVDs and subscriptions. What could really do us some good, is if we could partner up with a production company to create a show for the web. Not some dumbed-down version for everyone: A show for drum corps fans. Using Drum Corps vocabulary. The closest thing we have is the field pass. 2014's most viewed podcast had fewer listens than most local DCI shows. The last podcast of the season? 571 plays. Part of the reasoning there, is now we have no idea when one will come out. Any other reason? perhaps the lack of visual stimuli? We like to watch this stuff... with our eyes. Think about it. Barely anyone buys DCI cds.... we all want to watch the drill and guard work... not to mention all those pretty soloist close ups (brought to you in part by, Tom Blair)... Anyway, I just think instead of figuring out new ways to make money on the content that we're already buying (subscriptions, finals night online, live tickets, Theater events, Blue Rays - all selling the same corps performances), maybe take a look at what else have to offer.

DCI:

You have a bunch of experts gathering all over the country every night of the summer talking about the nitty-gritty details of each corps as they improve. You have directors with complicated strategies, techs with game plans, designers with secrets. You have all of that - and no format to me to go watch it-thus giving you a product to sell to your sponsors.

Let me restate this: Percussion judge A has a bug juicy opinion about CORPS 1's battery book... but I will never hear it.

I'll close with this before I get out of hand:

We're a giant community with a common love of this magical activity... and most of the time, we have nothing to do about it. (hence the proud few of us find ourselves on DCP talking about twitter and making the same coming-year prediction jokes we have for years)

Thoughts?

I disagree with much of what you said here, but I agree that a vodcast would be very popular and would help the activity. It would be better if it were independent like Marching Roundtable. However, it would then have to get permission to use short show clips, or enough of a lawyer meeting to be confident they could get away with the use of short clips without permission (get permission).

When's the first ep?

ShutUpAndPlayYourGuitar is probably on target with his documentary suggestions. in 1976 WGBH in Boston did a documentary on the 27th Lancers and it was well received. Granted this was at a time when drum corps were pretty common in the Boston area and if Boston Crusaders and 27th Lancers and a few others were not quite household names, they were at least familiar in the local area and the activity was somewhat known.

PBS's "Broadway or Bust," would be the perfect format for drum corps. For those who missed it, it is about fifty high school students who win an opportunity to participate in an intensive Broadway experience. What made it perfect was it focused on the drama (as in theater) without focusing on the "drama" that can be such a part of reality TV. When I watched it, I could not help but think the kids were the theater equivalent of drum corps. The show also appealed to a wide audience.

MTV has a similar series a few years back called "The Paper" which followed very motivated high school journalists (this was a paper very different from the standard issue high school newspaper). It was well done, though it focused as much on the relationships as the school's paper, but it was a ratings flop. It also appealed to me at the time, in my mid to late 40's, so it missed its target audience. Though to be fair to MTV, "Two-A-Days," about a high school football program was well done and appealed to a wide audience and had guides for school use which is how I first became aware of it, so MTV could probably handle drum corps, but again I'd wonder if the show would maintain the focus on the activity.

Edited by Tim K