The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

I have to say reading all these repertoire recommendations is fairly illustrative of the difference in this activity between then and now. Ive heard about 20% of whats been listed and I'm sorry it's all just a bit too nuanced for me. I'm sure theres a fair amount of these that could be "drum corpsicized" like quite a bit of the classical and band literature played over the years, but my feeling is many folks want marching wind ensembles. Which frankly couldnt explain any better why fans from more than 5 years past are all finding other ways to spend their discretionary income.

You really think many people who started to be fans as recently as 2002 would look at today that way?

Maybe this is unfair, what modern pop music would you recognize? Back in the day, corps played music that was recognizable. To do that today, corps would be playing Fall Out Boy, Imogen Heap, Coldplay, White Stripes, Kanye, or something. Some of that has been done, and I think a lot of modern pop music would be amazing.... but I get the impression (maybe I'm mistaken) that this very frequent complaint is less about the activity being accessible and more about it not playing the same type of music that you played.

I think there is a lot of truth in the above. A lot of times when you see legacy fans complain about not playing popular music...they end up talking about popular music from 20-30 years ago or more.

• 2 weeks later...

Blue Devils + Orchestral Soundtrack to Batman Forever (Elliot Goldenthal) = Win

Horrible movie with some awesome music. (Samples)

I understand what you all are saying, but I maintain that I'll take 99% of the arrangments out there over just about any original composition for corps I've ever heard hit the field.

I would love to see corps move past using music from other mediums, and start making their own music. This is not wind ensemble. This is not orchestra. This is not ballet, broadway, film, or television. This is Drum Corps. We should embrace that, and build our own repertoire that really demonstrates what Drum Corps is capable of.

I can't believe that I haven't thought of this before. Has anyone else??

the_boondock_saints.jpg

dci07008.jpg

That's awesome. They should also look into Dropkick Murphys! Haha!

I'd like to see more John Williams and Danny Elfman. I love what they do. I know they've been done before a little here and there, but I'd like to see more.

Maybe a show that has music from "Wicked". would be very recognizable.

"O Magnum Mysterum" Morten Lauridsen

"Fusion", by Brian Balmages (at least the first movement)

"Symphonic Episodes"(not sure of the composer)