The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

More original music (which can actually be pretty darn good). But not esoteric stuff.

I know we've had lots of these before, but I don't want to dig them back up. I'm hoping that people will put up pieces that have never-or at least, rarely-been done. Any genre is fine, and feel free to say which corps would fit best with the piece. My list, which I'll probably update from time to time.:

Orchestral pieces

Low Symphony—Philip Glass (any corps, please just do it)

Suite for Organ, Brass Quintet, and Percussion—Craig Phillips (Cavies or Phantom)

Radical Light—Don Freund (SCV, Phantom, BK, Boston)

Symphony Concertante for Organ and Orchestra—Jongen (Phantom, please) link to mp3

Prayer of St. Gregory—Alan Hovhaness (ANYTHING by Hovhaness, really) link to mp3

Tabuh Tabuhan—Colin McPhee (Crown, Bluecoats, SCV) link to mp3

Made in America—Joan Tower (SCV, BK, The Cadets)

Prelude and Scherzo—Brett Baker

Four Sea Interludes—Benjamin Britten (Phantom, SCV, or BK) link to mp3

Symphony 6—Bruckner (Phantom or BK)

Symphony #5 ½ —Don Gillis

Variations, Chaconne and Finale—Norman Dello Joio

Symphony #1 (The Titan) —Gustav Mahler (Phantom, please)

Epigrams—Zoltan Kodaly (Would love to see the GMen tackle this)

Gaelic Symphony (in E-minor) —Amy Beach (Pioneer!, or Phantom, SCV, BK, the Cadets)

Wind Ensemble/Brass Ensemble pieces

Baron Cimetiere's March (thanks to Nikk for commissioning this one)—Donald Grantham

Trauersinfonie—Wagner (could be an instant classic for Phantom just like Elsa's Procession)

Casanova—De Meij

Journey into Freedom—Eric Ball link to mp3

Choral

How They So Softly Rest—Healey Willan link to mp3

Miserere nostri, Domine—Thomas Tallis

Libera nos I & II—John Sheppard link to mp3

Soundtracks

End Credits to the Film Little Children-Thomas Newman (love this track)

The Day is Yours (Henry V soundtrack) —Patrick Doyle (Crown or Phantom) link to mp3

Chevaliers de Sangreal—Hanz Zimmer (the only thing I've ever liked by him) (SCV or the Cadets) link to mp3

The Place Where Dreams Come True James Horner

Other

Our Prayer—Brian Wilson (Crown or the Cadets)

Lance et al, thanks for your contributions. In another recent DCP discussion involving recommendations of shows that have never been done, MikeD suggested that PR do Janacek's Sinfonietta.

I responded by saying I agreed and would expand the program ( shall we call it " Czech-Mates" ? ) to include selections from Dvorak, Mahler and Smetana, all of whom were born in what is now part of the Czech Republic.

Another suggestion is Robert Schumann's Symphony No. 4 ( the 1851 revision ).

Or how about a program built on Bartok's Mykrokosmos. I have not listened to all 156 piano pieces but loved the Ostinato selection that ended Phantom's 2003 Harmonic Journey program.

Lastly, what about mining all of Edward Elgar's Enigma Variations and add the results to Nimrod.

Any or all of these pieces might fit other corps programs as well. What matches do you recommend?

I would love to see more John WIlliams music used, and not just the "movie stuff" (which is also awesome).

He wrote a beautiful and moving Bassoon concerto calls the Five Sacred Trees. Adapted for corps would be really amazing and unique.

What about a show themed around the music of Dr. Who. I think it'd be great for the Bluecoats, what with the police history and whatnot.

I think Existentialism on a prom night could be great with the right arranging.

Pink Floyd's 'Great Gig in the Sky' could be awesome if you have a brass section that can really hold it together.

Would you have Claire Toomy's solo be a brass solo, or played by a section in the line? Good idea though

If you're looking for a show with Benoit Jutras' music, Madison did an entire show of his Cirque du Soliel music in 2003. It's a pretty good show that rocketed them back into Finals.

Pacific Crest in 2002. Probably would have been a great "getting-out-to-know-everyone" year if they had gone national.

• Like 1