The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

Haven't yall heard that there was a double-secret probation clause inserted into the DCI by-laws in 1999 that banned any recognizable music (except to college music majors) from being played on the field. That's my main complaint about DCI to this day.

:rock:

I'm glad I was a music major for a couple of years, or I would not have recognized Also Sprach Zarathustra, Les Miserables, Hallelujah, Simon and Garfunkle's America, Lean on Me, Night on Bald Mountain, First Circle, Sweet Georgia Brown, I Put a Spell on You, Theme to Magnificent Seven, Battle Hymn of the Republic.

I can't imagine how most you folks (you non-music majors) struggled to get the music of Crossmen's show alone. If only you had been to academia to train you on Sting, Queen, Pink Floyd, Michael Jackson. You poor saps.

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 3

:rock:

I'm glad a was a music major for a couple of years, or I would not have recognized Also Sprach Zarathustra, Les Miserables, Hallelujah, Simon and Garfunkle's America, Lean on Me, Night on Bald Mountain, First Circle, Sweet Georgia Brown, I Put a Spell on You, Theme to Magnificent Seven, Battle Hymn of the Republic.

I can't imagine how most you folks (you non-music majors) struggled to get the music of Crossmen's show alone. If only you had been to academia to train you on Sting, Queen, Pink Floyd, Michael Jackson. You poor saps.

In all fairness, many of those pieces are Über-arranged montages that may or may not fit together, and different enough from the source to cause concern or confusion. Some of them, of course, were spectacular too.

Somebody at my church choir mentioned this piece this evening, Vienna Teng's "Hymn of Axciom", and I think it would make an amazing ballad for a corps like Cadets:

https://soundcloud.com/vienna-teng/the-hymn-of-acxiom-1st-draft

Somebody at my church choir mentioned this piece this evening, Vienna Teng's "Hymn of Axciom", and I think it would make an amazing ballad for a corps like Cadets:

https://soundcloud.com/vienna-teng/the-hymn-of-acxiom-1st-draft

Would you settle for Oregon Crusaders?

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/158240-2014-programs/

Absolutely! :smile:

Two wind ensemble Claude T. Smith works: "Festival Variations" (Cavies did an abbreviated opener in '87. Smith's "Prelude Variations" (rarely recorded) would be my first choice:

Two other suggestions: Wagner's "Overture to Rienzi" by PR and "Suite of Old American Dances."

• 4 weeks later...

'A Clockwork Orange' would make an excellent show. Music, esp The Glorious Ninth of Ludwig van is integral to the plot. Also opens up the possibilities for some guard equipment based , ahem, on lets say 'body parts'. But we will likely never see it because, well, it is ultraviolent.