Harbison: Three City Blocks

Bob Margolis: Terpsichore

Frank Zappa: The Dog Breath Variations

Corigliano: Gazebo Dances

Young: Tempered Steel

Grantham: Southern Harmony

Alfred Reed: El Camino Real

Hearshen: Symphony on Themes of Sousa

the 2nd movement of Grantham's Southern Harmony would be very impressive.

I could see Crown pulling that off.

~>conner

the 2nd movement of Grantham's Southern Harmony would be very impressive.

I could see Crown pulling that off.

~>conner

Kinda like how Spirit did in 2000?

(Haven't seen the show, but I know that they played it.)

Anyway, I agree - I'm actually playing that piece in school right now, and I'd love to hear another corps go for it.

Kinda like how Spirit did in 2000?

(Haven't seen the show, but I know that they played it.)

Anyway, I agree - I'm actually playing that piece in school right now, and I'd love to hear another corps go for it.

how about that... I'm gonna go watch that show real quick.

~>conner

I'm surprised a corps has never done "Allegro Barbaro," one of Bartok's more famous compositions. I think it could be translated to brass by a good arranger, and I think it would be perfect as a basis for a percussion feature.

Totally agree. I remember being introduced to the tune about 12 years ago originally through a HS band arrangement from Arrangers publishing that was actually (surprisingly) good...

I'm just glad PR is taking one of my long-time recommendations of A Hero's Life. Yeah, I'll take credit for it... :)

In the meantime, I'll keep throwing out Sibelius - Symphonies 1, 2, and 5, Spring Song, Night-Ride and Sunrise - and Smetana's The Moldeau.

I know we've had lots of these before, but I don't want to dig them back up. I'm hoping that people will put up pieces that have never-or at least, rarely-been done. Any genre is fine, and feel free to say which corps would fit best with the piece. My list, which I'll probably update from time to time.:

Orchestral pieces

Low Symphony—Philip Glass (any corps, please just do it)

Suite for Organ, Brass Quintet, and Percussion—Craig Phillips (Cavies or Phantom)

Radical Light—Don Freund (SCV, Phantom, BK, Boston)

Symphony Concertante for Organ and Orchestra—Jongen (Phantom, please)

Prayer of St. Gregory—Alan Hovhaness (ANYTHING by Hovhaness, really)

Tabuh Tabuhan—Colin McPhee (Crown, Bluecoats, SCV)

Made in America—Joan Tower (SCV, BK, The Cadets)

Prelude and Scherzo—Brett Baker

Four Sea Interludes—Benjamin Britten (Phantom, SCV, or BK)

Symphony 6—Bruckner (Phantom or BK)

Symphony #5 ½ —Don Gillis

Variations, Chaconne and Finale—Norman Dello Joio

Symphony #1 (The Titan) —Gustav Mahler (Phantom, please)

Epigrams—Zoltan Kodaly (Would love to see the GMen tackle this)

Gaelic Symphony (in E-minor) —Amy Beach (Pioneer!, or Phantom, SCV, BK, the Cadets)

Wind Ensemble/Brass Ensemble pieces

Baron Cimetiere’s March (thanks to Nikk for commissioning this one)—Donald Grantham

Trauersinfonie—Wagner (could be an instant classic for Phantom just like Elsa's Procession)

Casanova—De Meij

Journey into Freedom—Eric Ball

Choral

How They So Softly Rest—Healey Willan

Miserere nostri, Domine—Thomas Tallis

Libera nos I & II—John Sheppard

Soundtracks

End Credits to the Film Little Children-Thomas Newman (love this track)

The Day is Yours (Henry V soundtrack) —Patrick Doyle (Crown or Phantom)

Chevaliers de Sangreal—Hanz Zimmer (the only thing I’ve ever liked by him) (SCV or the Cadets)

Other

Our Prayer—Brian Wilson (Crown or the Cadets)

Funny you should mention these particular tunes...I was just humming most of them on the way to work..

Sometimes When We Touch - arranged by Larry Moore for New York City Gay Mens Chorus - don't knock it until you hear it.
Knock it??...Why would ANYONE knock it....just because it's recognizable??

Funny you should mention these particular tunes...I was just humming most of them on the way to work..

Irony notwithstanding, most of the pieces on my list have strong themes and are quite lyrical, so yeah, they're pretty much all very easy to hum. For instance, the Glass piece is based on a bunch of David Bowie tunes from his Low album, and the rest of the symphonic pieces aren't really what you'd call abstract. The choral works and sountracks I listed are more hummable than 99% of what has ever been on a drum corps field. Our Prayer IS hummed by the performers, and it was written by a Beach Boy, not by Kristof Penderecki. It ain't rocket science.

Irony notwithstanding, most of the pieces on my list have strong themes and are quite lyrical, so yeah, they're pretty much all very easy to hum. For instance, the Glass piece is based on a bunch of David Bowie tunes from his Low album, and the rest of the symphonic pieces aren't really what you'd call abstract. The choral works and sountracks I listed are more hummable than 99% of what has ever been on a drum corps field. Our Prayer IS hummed by the performers, and it was written by a Beach Boy, not by Kristof Penderecki. It ain't rocket science.
Irony?? Was I being ironic? Like YOU said, these tunes are very easy to hum and I was humming them. Would I be able to do this if it were "rocket science"?? Likely not.

Sometimes When We Touch - arranged by Larry Moore for New York City Gay Mens Chorus - don't knock it until you hear it.

I've heard it.

407809836_da35ba32b0_m.jpg