Cadets have a very well written and performed show and probably have the most room to grow due to the content and demand. I like Bluecoats show a lot but I had to respond to your post.

My top 4 this year are Cadets, BD, BC and SCV. They are all very very good, but if I had to give the edge to just one to win it all it would be Cadets.

So I'm going to Drums Along The Rockies and I was just wondering where I should sit in order to get the full effect of Bluecoat's show. Would lower be better than higher up?

My top 4 this year are Cadets, BD, BC and SCV. They are all very very good, but if I had to give the edge to just one to win it all it would be Cadets.

AT THIS JUNCTURE, I agree 100%.

The Bluecoats hornline is incredible. Let's agree to that.

Oh I do agree, calling them the current 4th best horn line in the world is in no way a diss. I'm sure they'll get it a lot cleaner too, just like last year. I'm still pulling for them to take home gold, but it's sad that a minor critique is enough to get people so riled up here. What is this, a Cadets thread? :silly:

• Like 2

I will not allow myself to read your posts any longer.

I guess you are referring to the antiphonal section of the opener where @2:30 the tubas start their split parts at mezzo piano, then slowly additional horn sections (by part, mind you) are scored into the composition creating a natural dynamic increase to fortissimo. This happens until the trumpets take over the leading voices and slowly varying instruments are scored out of the composition creating a natural dynamic decrease back to mezzo piano. You will notice they take their horns down--indicating that they do not have a music part there. If you knew where this happens in the production, you would realize that the two antiphonal tuba sections start 60 yards apart! Because of the nature of large conically bored instruments, that is simply amazing that their timing is together on the field.

To add to this, the entire hornline is spread across the field like a week's wash (almost 70 yards) while all this demanding antiphonal stuff is happening. And yes, they are moving. I will refer you to this video, as the corps is moving while this difficult part is happening, sans the tubas in the very beginning--but they are still 60 yards apart to start it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUR3TuKvHqU

Additionally, I find it amazing that someone now finds mezzo piano to be a "weakness" and to sound "rough." I have absolutely no idea where you believe this section needs electronics to not sound "rough."

I am supposing you have never taught a marching unit. For if you did, you would quickly realize what the Bluecoats are doing in the opener is difficult and beyond expectation. The reason it sounds "rough" to you is because they are executing at such a high level that it sounds easy. I assure you; what they are doing is not easy.

The Bluecoats hornline is incredible. Let's agree to that.

Brass is strong and I don't feel the electronics are doing any strengthening of the brass. It seems to add another dimension of sound so very nicely written. I think Cadets will over take them in brass eventually because of the demand of their show and the eventual proficiency they will have once they get the feet clean which is no easy task in that show.
  • Like 1

Oh I do agree, calling them the current 4th best horn line in the world is in no way a diss. I'm sure they'll get it a lot cleaner too, just like last year. I'm still pulling for them to take home gold, but it's sad that a minor critique is enough to get people so riled up here. What is this, a Cadets thread? :silly:

Well played.

I'm surprised that nobody on here (that I know of at least) has talked about the end of the opener. It's 4 measures of staccato quarter notes. They play the first two, then their sound is recreated through speakers all across the field (it sounds so freakin cool live) as the hornline spins in a circle and then they play the last 4 notes. It's hard to tell what's going on in a video but it is one of the coolest moments of the show live in my opinion.