When was the last time this was discussed?

I spend a small fortune through Friends of DCI for my tickets, hotel, plane tickets, etc. to go to Indy every year. My butt is in my seat all three nights all night long (though the encore on Saturday). Thursday I'm in my seat by 3 p.m. at the latest. In Allentown, I'm in my seat for the National Anthem both nights. Any other shows I can get to I'm in my seat from start to finish.

While I would like to hang out and watch some warm-ups, I'm not going to do that at the cost of missing any field performances. I don't understand the folks who spend all that money and then just show up for the last few corps.

One occasional poster here, who marched in a top corps in the mid-1980s and has done some teaching at top corps recently, has said on more than one occasion that he prefers to listen to corps in the lot rather than on the field because he doesn't care for modern design elements. He's gone so far as to say that, despite teaching for corps, he wouldn't pay to see shows and only does so when his staff work gets him in for free.

So that's one reason. Another of course is that some people want to hear as much of their favorite corps as possible.

I think that neither opinion should carry much weight in DCI's determination of performance order--and I doubt they have.

That said, I do believe that there is a value in having shows progress from lower-ranking to higher-ranking corps, particularly when the line-up is large, both for the audiences' sake and for the judges' sake, although some randomization is worthwhile. And DCI already does that with its regionals.

It is 144 and please keep posting, but as an older dude, I like everyone to have the freedom to do what they want with their time and money without others telling/implying to them (minus the gov.) what they should do. If I read your initial thoughts wrong I'm sorry, but in this case I don't think so.

Wasn't my intention to come across as judgmental in any way. Everyone is free to enjoy drum corps however they like. I genuinely can't understand not watching the entire competition, but to each his own. That's why there is chocolate and vanilla :wink:

I couldn't agree more. Personally, I've never found the attraction of driving all the way to a show location, just to skip one (or more) Corps performances for the sake of watching one of the "bigger boys" warming up. If I want to learn rehearsal warm-up techniques, I'll find a clinic. But maybe that's just me.

I feel the same way.

I remember going to the local Montreal show a long time ago and convincing a musician friend of mine to join me as "he was going to be blown away by the talent he was about to see!" (my words). Of everyone appearing at that show, the only one that he was impressed with was one of the earlier smaller corps (I think it was L'Insolite). I remember him turning to me as they were parading the stands and saying "That was wonderful!"

Even after a couple of top 12 corps performed that evening, the corps that he was most impressed with was L'Insolite.

I spend a small fortune through Friends of DCI for my tickets, hotel and plane tickets etc to go to Indy every year. My butt is in my seat all three nights all night long (though the encore on Saturday). Thursday I'm in my seat by 3PM at the latest. In Allentown I'm in my seat for the National Anthem both nights. Any other shows I can get to I'm in my seat from start to finish.

While I would like to hang out and watch some warm-ups, I'm not going to do that at the cost of missing any field performances. I don't understand the folks who spend all that money and then just show up for the last few corps.

amen brother

This was tried at a finals one year and panned by nearly everyone. There's one particular issue that makes this difficult at shows: If you randomize performances then all corps need to be at the stadium prior to the first step off. Then, you'd have to let each corps know their performance order and give each sufficient time to warm up.

This will get particularly hard push-back from those corps who, by virtue of typically going on later or last, can spend an extra hour or two practicing before packing up to head to the show stadium.

It is a vicious circle, IMO, that later-performing corps get extra practice time, which helps them score well, which allows them to perform later, which allows for more practice time.

Not saying that your idea doesn't have merit, but handling the logistics of randomizing performances would be brand new. And the idea would be blackballed by those who, typically, go on later or last.

I'm not sure as to why there couldn't be two different criteria, depending on the event. In the case of shorter (I didn't say "less important"...I said "shorter"...just covering my butt here) events (say 7 or less appearing Corps), the order would be determined in a random (draw from a hat at 6PM, for example) fashion. Those shows are already shorter by nature, and a Corps is less likely to stay away for that "extra hour or two", thus losing what they feel is crucial rehearsal time. In the event of Regionals, Quarters, Semis, and Finals (which are all, by their nature, longer events) go by the current system. I'm sure in practice it isn't this simple...but to me, that at least might be a start. And any opportunity to give lower-ranked WC or OC Corps (kids who are working their butts off just as much as the "big boys") a little bit of the limelight once in a while is not only a benefit to those Corps, but in the end and by extension, DCI as well.

Edited by HornTeacher

Not to point a finger at anyone specifically, but there is a horizon of elitism about skipping the performances in the stadium in order to see the lot.

While some probably do genuinely go to learn and be impressed by rehearsal techniques (sometimes to steal a trick or two in its inner details for their own units or designing,) there are other motivations underneath the surface.

a) hanging around important people gives some folks a feeling of self-importance. "Oh, didn't I see you with BD in the lot;...have you been working with them long?"

b) watching in the lot sometimes gives an advance clue to show changes or "so and so instructor for the... tells them...") It's known in the counseling trade as "pre-gossip."

c) watching in the lot allows some folks who don't identify with current designs to still re-kindle memories of their time in drum corps. Marching blocks, 100 spins and warming scales haven't really changed all that much over the decades.

and especially true for young students...

d) watching close-up and seeing things clearer than in stadium seating challenges the inspiration of future marchers and serves as a reality check for those who learn that they have to go home and practice, practice, practice, if they wish to make a DCI corps in...20...

Of course, there are the sentimentalists who just love those momentary glimpses of when parents and special folks see their favorite corps person who has been on tour since leaving for Spring training back in May. Brings a tear to the eye every time...

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

Not to point a finger at anyone specifically, but there is a horizon of elitism about skipping the performances in the stadium in order to see the lot.

While some probably do genuinely go to learn and be impressed by rehearsal techniques (sometimes to steal a trick or two in its inner details for their own units or designing,) there are other motivations underneath the surface.

a) hanging around important people gives some folks a feeling of self-importance. "Oh, didn't I see you with BD in the lot;...have you been working with them long?"

b) watching in the lot sometimes gives an advance clue to show changes or "so and so instructor for the... tells them...") It's known in the counseling trade as "pre-gossip."

c) watching in the lot allows some folks who don't identify with current designs to still re-kindle memories of their time in drum corps. Marching blocks, 100 spins and warming scales haven't really changed all that much over the decades.

and especially true for young students...

d) watching close-up and seeing things clearer than in stadium seating challenges the inspiration of future marchers and serves as a reality check for those who learn that they have to go home and practice, practice, practice, if they wish to make a DCI corps in...20...

Of course, there are the sentimentalists who just love those momentary glimpses of when parents and special folks see their favorite corps person who has been on tour since leaving for Spring training back in May. Brings a tear to the eye every time...

I think, also without pointing fingers, that the underlying rationales which you stated are most probably very apt and accurate for and of many, many people. I especially like and agree with the "outreach" factor (as applies to young, possibly future MM's) which you cited. So..let's start being proactive here. Over the course of the summer, each (and every) Corps could be responsible for one 60-90 minute clinic at the day's performance site. This could be run in the mid-afternoon (say, 3PM, thus giving the Corps enough time to rest before the evening's performance). This would be open to the public, with special attention being paid to marching bands and their members in the immediate area. If I'm going to arrange for 1, 2, or 3 buses to get my kids to a late afternoon clinic, I'm sure as heck going to keep them there for the night's performance. A 3PM clinic still allows plenty of time for my kids to walk around the souvie area, spend their money on all the goodies that Mom never serves for supper...AND gets a whole bunch more butts in the stadium for the show -- hence more money for the show organizer. If each Corps was responsible for 1 such clinic over the span of the summer, then every Corps is being "put out" equally. And to me, they aren't being "put out." It's exposure time for that corps, and that corps alone. A chance for even the smaller Corps to convey a message of "look how much fun you could have marching with us for the summer...as long as you're willing to work, of course."

Just a thought... (and if this is already "de rigueur" for the activity, then please.....)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FnpaWQJO0

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

Wasn't my intention to come across as judgmental in any way. Everyone is free to enjoy drum corps however they like. I genuinely can't understand not watching the entire competition, but to each his own. That's why there is chocolate and vanilla :wink:

I'm with you on this.

If I'm going to a show as a fan, I try to see as much of the entire show as possible. I've never quite understood the whole "hang out in the lot" thing.

Like you said... to each his own.

• Like 1

Everyone is free to enjoy drum corps however they like. I genuinely can't understand not watching the entire competition, but to each his own. That's why there is chocolate and vanilla :wink:

Agreed also, if had time and knew the locations I would watch some of my favorite corps practice session that afternoon. For the show I'd leave plenty of pre-show time to check the souvies and crowd. LOL I'm one of the people who would be there at start of DCA Prelims to see how the smaller corps would handle less than full numbers. Just a whole 'nother way to look at design.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I'm with you on this.

If I'm going to a show as a fan, I try to see as much of the entire show as possible. I've never quite understood the whole "hang out in the lot" thing.

Like you said... to each his own.

let's be honest -- the HUGE majority of "hang out in the lot" people are drummers. for them -- the lot IS the show.

of the remaining folks:

a) a good portion are FMMs

b) most of the others probably have multiple viewing opportunities and they can afford to do both

c) those left might be parents of MM's

d) or just plain lost!

I think trying to charge for the lot is silly. Could you imagine the logiistics?

And you don't go to the lot to "pick up tips". That's what going to rehearsals is for :-)