Drills Skills

when I marched, we used to play this 'game' to 'liven up' basics:

-the whole corps forms up in a block. sometimes with instruments, sometimes without.

-A staff member would call out marching commands, move the corps around, bring it back to a halt.

-the rest of the staff would be atop the podium picking out all the mistakes. When the corps came to a halt, they'd call out everybody who made a mistake and that member would be eliminated.

-as the numbers dwindled, commands became more complicated, the tempo increased, and the spotting of errors got pickier.

Do many corps play this game or a variation?

We took it pretty seriously, even the front ensemblers were dedicated to hoping one of their own would win it (sadly no, but very very close a time or two). the bragging would have been insufferably joyous.

Now I was at Dekalb last year and got nostalgic about DCM Track&Field day, which gets me to thinking.

I'm sure that even the mention of 'Corps v. Corps Tug of War' would probably bring many a current corps director to the brink of an anxiety attack. in that spirit, though, how great would a 'best marcher in DCI' competiton be? DCI has tried skill competions in the past (fastest drummer, etc), but they've never really taken off. Am I wrong in thinking that this Skill Drill might be a thrilling event? can you imagine the crowd going crazy if it came down to a couple members from the Big Corps and some Open Class members?

heck, I bet one of the marching shoe companies could be convinced to put up a nice scholarship prize.

finding the time would be a challenge. pre-show / intermission would no doubt exclude somebody, but that's detailwork TBD.

nevertheless, it ought to come to be.

• Like 1

when I marched, we used to play this 'game' to 'liven up' basics:

-the whole corps forms up in a block. sometimes with instruments, sometimes without.

-A staff member would call out marching commands, move the corps around, bring it back to a halt.

-the rest of the staff would be atop the podium picking out all the mistakes. When the corps came to a halt, they'd call out everybody who made a mistake and that member would be eliminated.

-as the numbers dwindled, commands became more complicated, the tempo increased, and the spotting of errors got pickier.

Do many corps play this game or a variation?

We took it pretty seriously, even the front ensemblers were dedicated to hoping one of their own would win it (sadly no, but very very close a time or two). the bragging would have been insufferably joyous.

Now I was at Dekalb last year and got nostalgic about DCM Track&Field day, which gets me to thinking.

I'm sure that even the mention of 'Corps v. Corps Tug of War' would probably bring many a current corps director to the brink of an anxiety attack. in that spirit, though, how great would a 'best marcher in DCI' competiton be? DCI has tried skill competions in the past (fastest drummer, etc), but they've never really taken off. Am I wrong in thinking that this Skill Drill might be a thrilling event? can you imagine the crowd going crazy if it came down to a couple members from the Big Corps and some Open Class members?

heck, I bet one of the marching shoe companies could be convinced to put up a nice scholarship prize.

finding the time would be a challenge. pre-show / intermission would no doubt exclude somebody, but that's detailwork TBD.

nevertheless, it ought to come to be.

Our corps used to do the same type of thing. Drill eliminations. It created some great internal competitiveness becasue ALL MM's would be equal relative to drill knowladege and ability. excpet with unique DL movement. Start with a full corps block and when soemone "ticked" out they'd go. It wirked well for brass and guard more than for percussion and obvioulsy pit.

Normally I'd think something like this would be silly as you described, but as I gave it a few minutes I though it might be afun thing. The drawback I feel may the the "language" used for drill commands. Much I am sure is similar throught units, but there must be nomenclature unique to staff anf instructors as well as the units themselves. You would have to create something to give to corps, for MM's to study so if they wanted to participate they would all be on the same page, literally.

We did this but it was in drum major camp with George Parks. Very fun but entirely nerve-wracking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYmKJXEH738

• Like 1

nerve-wracking and incredibly tense once you got down to only a few marchers left

true, you'd need an agreed-upon vernacular of commands.

and the difficulty in re telling a legit Tic from a stylistic difference may be a challenge for the Critique Committee.

and maybe this kind of thing would take too long to really captivate. (2 members per corps, cap the entries at 64?)

complications, sure. nevertheless! I remember the great time of DCM field days and this in a small way would revive some of that spirit.

Go to the videos the Cadets posted from their first four camps and you'll see the floor covered with a tarp where every so many feet is lined to form blocks. You'll see the MM and instructors following a more current version of your "game" when learning drill basics, show necessities, and skill advancement.

These same sort of taped "yard lines" and hash marks may be seen in the photo that goes with the Crown article on the DCP's new page today. Here's Crown's version.

http://www.carolinacrown.org/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=548:crowncamp4-this-weekend&catid=88&Itemid=553

"On Saturday it will be off to sectionals and more full ensemble rehearsal before working OTMs. What's an OTM you ask?

In addition to practicing their music between camps, CrownBRASS members work on assignments 'On The Move'. They take short phrases of show music and practice them while marching a box drill pattern. This drill emphasizes style, direction changes, body movement, and playing to the feet to keep a consistent tempo.

When the brass get together for camps, they put these OTM assignments together in sections. They also rehearse exercises and show music on the move every day throughout spring training and tour. More insight on this practice can be found in Crown Brass Caption Supervisor Matt Harloff's book "Inside the Circle" …"

Similar goals, slightly different strategies...

Since there is no "I" in either "TEAM" or "ENSEMBLE" or "CORPS" or "GUARD" or "BATTERY." individual honors are left to the end of season banquet. There are "Soloists" however, in the horn line, ... sometimes not intended by the arranger. :-)

Edited by xandandl

Sounds like it could be an interesting supplement to I&E.

Sounds like the worst idea ever for an event, sorry. No spectator appeal whatsoever.

I did this "game" in high school. Whittling the corps down to the best few marchers a waste of time in technique block that can be spent on making the corps AS A WHOLE march better.

Sounds like the worst idea ever for an event, sorry. No spectator appeal whatsoever.

I did this "game" in high school. Whittling the corps down to the best few marchers a waste of time in technique block that can be spent on making the corps AS A WHOLE march better.

I still teach this with the band I work with, and the way we do it is to teach it AS part of the technique block for several weeks once the school year begins. Everyone doing the block together with nobody being pulled out, because (as with anything) they need to learn how to do it first. It helps refine their technique (at different tempos), use their eyes, and it also keeps their brains engaged because they need to listen to commands and react (and adjust) accordingly. We find it makes them better performers over the long haul, plus the kids really enjoy it because it does break up the monotony sometimes of scripted basics exercises every now and then. Then at the end of the season, we make it a competition where it's "survive and advance" until a winner is crowned. Usually it's on the day of championships and they really get into it. It's one of the highlights of the day, for sure. A tradition they all look forward to.

• Like 1