Who will make the biggest jump this season?

Cadets have a monster corps this year loaded with vets and some pretty "meaty" music. I think they will be in the hunt. Also think Crown jumps back into the mix with a stronger percussion program (less of a drag) joining that glorious brass line. BD having a bad year is winning the silver. I think those are probably the top 3 with SCV and Bluecoats threatening them all season.

I just don't buy the Hannum magic anymore and don't think he'll improve them that much. I mean, what has he honestly done lately at the DCI level. Hall of Famer for sure, and deserved. But lately, what's been the quality output. I just don't buy that this will be a step up. Especially since last year he was there and nothing changed, IMO.

I don't buy it.

• Like 2

I think the Bluecoats remain top 3 and contend for the title this year. The maturity in design and performance was phenomenal last summer. I'd have no reason to believe they would slip. As for corps moving up? I'd say Blue Stars and Blue Knights. Both have truly grown in the past few seasons. Plus BK had an incredible winter! As for who might drop a bit? I think Phantom and Boston drop to the 10-11 range come finals.

Wes P

I think their position rank would have to do more with other corps moving past them as opposed to Bluecoats slipping. Surely, after last year, they've proven they have the staff to produce a quality show, but other corps (Cadets, Crown, SCV, etc.), have shown the same, so there is a reason to believe a possible slip in the ranks. Cadets show as of right now seems like it will be a beast of a show, but can't really be judged too much until we see the full product (obviously). And we really haven't seen what the other corps are going to put out this year so it is a tough call to figure out who will be where in terms of rankings at this point of the year.

I just don't buy the Hannum magic anymore and don't think he'll improve them that much. I mean, what has he honestly done lately at the DCI level. Hall of Famer for sure, and deserved. But lately, what's been the quality output. I just don't buy that this will be a step up. Especially since last year he was there and nothing changed, IMO.

I don't buy it.

Aungst is now in front of the line. Hannum is just designing.

I hear things are very different this year.

But I also share a bit of your skepticism. Waiting to see what happens during the season.

If Aungst is actually the guy in front of the line during (most of) the season (ie he's not just a 'consultant') , I'm willing to believe things can be a lot different. (and yes that's a big if) .

• Like 1

Back in 2008, one of the issues with Aungst and Cadets was he wasn't spending as much time on tour with them. Fast forward another 7 years, I seriously doubt he has the energy and stamina he had during this glory years with the Cadets but he did some good work with Blue Stars so we shall see. Overall I still think it's a positive move and Crown percussion should certainly be less of a liability which is really what they need.

Back in 2008, one of the issues with Aungst and Cadets was he wasn't spending as much time on tour with them. Fast forward another 7 years, I seriously doubt he has the energy and stamina he had during this glory years with the Cadets but he did some good work with Blue Stars so we shall see. Overall I still think it's a positive move and Crown percussion should certainly be less of a liability which is really what they need.

He's not the only staff change.

And the Aungst / Cadets history / separation is probably a bit more complex than "energy and stamina".

Agreed it was a bit more than energy and stamina but not being as willing to travel as much was one factor.

Aungst is now in front of the line. Hannum is just designing.

I hear things are very different this year.

But I also share a bit of your skepticism. Waiting to see what happens during the season.

If Aungst is actually the guy in front of the line during (most of) the season (ie he's not just a 'consultant') , I'm willing to believe things can be a lot different. (and yes that's a big if) .

What exactly does a consultant do?

I thought last season the Scouts had a really nice hornline. I think if they have a lot of brass coming back, they should be challenged a little more, and I think they'll end up being rewarded for it. Granted, their visual program was one of the easiest I've seen from a Finalist corps since...well, probably ever, the designers need to be give these guys a bit more of a challenge.

If they really want to eventually break top 6, they're going to have to do a lot better in designing a competitive program. Granted their program this season is more difficult than last by at least 50%, I can see them competing for 9th.

Boston had an EXTREMELY difficult program last season...and it was evident that the corps could not handle it enough to max their point potential. If they have a lot of vets coming back,the designers should be throwing out a program a tad bit less difficult, but more cohesive. They took a big risk last season, I hope they don't go that risky again, because this corps does have the potential to compete for top 6 with the right program.

Blue Stars looked good, and I think this season's program could be really fun to see, if done right.

I'm thinking the 3 corps that will make make the most gains from last year are the Scouts, B. Crusaders, and O. Crusaders, and I think they will all jump by 2-3. Everyone else will stay the same.

EDIT:

I went back and actually took a listen to the Blue Stars musical program from last season. I can't believe how incredibly well written this musical program is. I wasn't sure about the staff changes they had, but now that I've had another real good listen, this staff has the talent to bring the corps to the next level. Lets see if they actually do it. I'm not going to suggest 6th is a possibility.....but it could be up for grabs. Its there for the taking for a small handful of corps.

Edited by BoyWonder1911

some scenarios i could see happening

-Scouts remain in 11th or drop

-Colts move up

-Blue Devils remain in top 3 as usual

-BAC moves back into the top 8

-Cadets take gold

-Bluecoats remain in top 3 or drop

-Phantom Regiment moves up

-Blue knights stay in 8th or drops

-Cascades make semi-finals

-Pioneer breaks top 30

-Blue Stars color guard scores in top 3

(probably will add more)

Edited by cjf20

'' The Oregon Crusaders might start by putting their horn line back in the green tops instead of color guard shirts

That? That was two years ago, not last year.

• Like 2