Who will make the biggest jump this season?

That seems fairly logical, with Bluecoats achieving their highest placement ever, and Blue Knights earned their highest placement since 2006. For Bluecoats especially, their only move is to win DCI (which, believe me, I would LOVE), or maybe stay at 2nd. And if Blue Stars guard continues to make strides, that will only help their visual score would could make them a threat to advance up the ranks. Blue Knights, similar to Bluecoats, both had amazing shows last year, and both corps haven't proven yet that they can design back-to-back amazing shows. Bluecoats followed up their previous best placement with a 7th place finish. Blue Knights slid a little bit last time they placed as high as 8th, placing 9th the next year, and then 11th the next two seasons. Your prediction might be unpopular, but history might be on your side

Agreed with Bluecoats. If the design staff fails to produce a killer product, they'll likely be 5th or lower if Cavies really step it up. 2010 and 2014 are anomalies right now. Aside from those two years, Bloo has essentially been sitting in 6th place since 2007. Not a bad place to be, for sure, but unlike Crown post-2008, they failed to capitalize on their 3rd place finish in 2010.

Audition numbers are nice but you pick 150 kids and then you DESIGN a show. THATS where it gets tricky.

The same guys who designed "Tilt" are still there. They've shown they CAN design a show, I hope they do it again. It's possible they just caught lightning in a bottle this one time, but I think it's unlikely. They have a great staff.

Same team that designed TILT designed 2013 and they placed 5th. I understand what your saying but Bluecoats need to be consistently hovering in the top 3 before having a shot at the gold although if you look at CROWN, they nailed the silver medal in 2009, a few fourth places, silver 2012 and gold 2013 so I guess we can see a similar trend with coats only they fell deeper and got stuck there longer after their 2010 silver medal before popping a silver medal in 2014. Hen again, there is staff retention issues but Coats certainly have a great staff in place now. Heck, they're all Cadets alumni.

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1

Bluecoats moving ahead to first place may not be al that far fetched. In the past few years, namely 2010, 2012, and 2013 many believed they were underrated, and while I probably was in that camp myself, I'm not sure who was ahead of them that I would placed behind them, but there was a recognizable spark and it's pretty obvious they are working at moving in an upward direction.

When I recall 2012 and 2013, I see great shows with amazing elements and great musical books, but some flaws. As much as I loved what the guard did in 2012, when they were completely "Unmasked" I thought they looked a bit like the Walton's in their longjohns. The guard was great in 2013 too, but their attire while in keeping with the theme of the show, was not distinct. In comparison 2014 was somewhat minimalist, but the minimalism allowed a raw energy and passion to come through that I'm not sure I always associate with Bloo. If you combine what worked in 2012, 2013, and 2014 you have a major contender. It reminds me a bit of Crown We saw amazing shows from Crown prior to 2012, with great elements though a bit flawed. 2012 had a raw energy that if it had been channeled effectively could have topped Blue Devils if not at finals, at least at times during the season, but 2013 had Crown's strongest horn line to date, along with those great Crown moments so many of us love, with some original elements. So the question is did we see a "Grass is Always Greener" from Bloo to be followed with a "A Second Chance" and a 4th placed finish or was "Tilt" their equivalent of "For the Common Good" to be followed by an "e=MC2" ?

• Like 2

The same guys who designed "Tilt" are still there. They've shown they CAN design a show, I hope they do it again. It's possible they just caught lightning in a bottle this one time, but I think it's unlikely. They have a great staff.

Totally agree: it's one of my favorite group in DCI. Even when I don't really like their shows, I think they at least swing for the fences and always deliver an interesting product (and as a percussionist they do always deliver a great percussion section lately)

I think the Bluecoats remain top 3 and contend for the title this year. The maturity in design and performance was phenomenal last summer. I'd have no reason to believe they would slip. As for corps moving up? I'd say Blue Stars and Blue Knights. Both have truly grown in the past few seasons. Plus BK had an incredible winter! As for who might drop a bit? I think Phantom and Boston drop to the 10-11 range come finals.

Wes P

Edited by wesleyrp

Agreed with Bluecoats. If the design staff fails to produce a killer product, they'll likely be 5th or lower if Cavies really step it up. 2010 and 2014 are anomalies right now. Aside from those two years, Bloo has essentially been sitting in 6th place since 2007. Not a bad place to be, for sure, but unlike Crown post-2008, they failed to capitalize on their 3rd place finish in 2010.

BAC, troops, MS.

The obvious answer would be which corps uncharacteristically dropped from their normal range without any major structural changes (big staff loses etc). I would put Crown in the few that are more likely to jump. Bluecoats winning, although not impossible, is less likely. Still need to see this team consistently in the mix, not once every 4-5 years..

I would really like to see Blue Knights move up into the top six....their 2014 show had so much heart, aided by those great Bocook arrangements.

Personal bias aside, I seriously think Troopers stand a good chance to move up this year. Just seeing what they've been putting out on their Facebook page, its clear that the corps is performing at levels above and beyond the last several years. And I feel as though I'm at least a little qualified to say that ;)

Of course, this entirely depends on how much the corps around them also improve, which has yet to be seen. That's been one of the things keeping Troop out of the top 12, the fact that the corps in their current placement range just keep getting more and more competitive. Which is awesome for the activity as a whole.