In The Past 25 Years....

.....What corps have just put together a show with great music and NO theme?

Just wondering why there has to be a THEME! Anyone?

Many descriptions of " THEME" I don't think there has to be a theme but the days of just random music without some kind of connection may be gone if that's what you are saying. Even BITD there were many with a thread which ran through ones show connecting the dots for many if not most IMO

Well, from the very article you quote:

"As 'just a performance,' the show is a sterling example of a successful non-thematic production in an era when it seemed that shows were expected to have a thematic tie-in."

True, but Mr. Boo also wrote, "The Cadets, who ultimately tied for second place and won the percussion caption with “Juxtaperformance,” presented a theme that was based on no theme at all."

Which means that there was, in theory, a theme. Just that the performance was the theme.

• Like 1

Well, from the very article you quote:

"As 'just a performance,' the show is a sterling example of a successful non-thematic production in an era when it seemed that shows were expected to have a thematic tie-in."

The theme = "we don't have a theme." That's a theme.

See, we can ALL enjoy the goofy semantic arguments on the inter webs!

Edited by perc2100
  • Like 2

BD's 2007 always strikes me as the show from the last 15 years that is the least like the other winner. No doubt it's the least 'brought up' winner post-2000, either as a positive or a negative. is that because it is very low on the theme scale? the other post-2000 championship shows have had concepts that really permeated throughout, whereas BD 2007 was just an elegant show performed very well.

I really like it, I think it has a theme, a VERY loose theme (of the Avian variety in my eyes). But of the championship shows of late, a relatively relaxed and loose one.

I really like it, I think it has a theme, a VERY loose theme (of the Avian variety in my eyes). But of the championship shows of late, a relatively relaxed and loose one.

oh yeah, i have no criticism of the show.

it was interesting that it was one of the few recent shows not being regularly brought up in the 'championships i didn't like' thread (that and PR 08 were the ones that were spared, I believe), yet I also rarely hear it championed.

watching it out of context, I'd probably guess it was an early 90s show.

Edited by 31rabbit

2003 Cadets "Our Favorite Things"

Fanfare and Allegro

Malaguena

Rocky Point Holiday

No theme other than "old stuff we liked and wanted to put back on the field"

By the way, this is my personal favorite performance of Malaguena (if you haven't heard this version check it out)