Indiana's New Law

I don't see Madison or Cavies as practicing gender discrimination any more or less than other private clubs/organizations like Boy Scouts of America or Girl Scouts of America. And unless I am mistaken, a private club can make whatever membership prerequisites they choose based on any criteria that they choose.

BINGO!!! :thumbup:

My guess, like all other once All Male Drum Corps before them, eventually the Cavaliers and the Madison Scouts will voluntarily end their decades long discriminatory exclusion of Females in their ranks... and within short order of that discrimination barrier coming down, we'll all wonder what took them so long to move into the 21st Century where continued gender discrimination policies were allowed to continue long after what should have been its Expiration Date.

And if that does indeed happen, it will be because enough people will have spoken up about it instead of dismissing it as some hot button political topic that will eventually fade away in the next news cycle.

• Like 2

There are analogies being made here that do not compare to the issue being discussed yet to counter argue some of the statements would end up derailing this thread to the point where it's going to be closed.

I sincerely think some do not understand what discrimination is because they have never experienced it.

I am thankful for the youth of today because more and more they just don't give two cents to the subject at hand.

you are so right. when you talk to youth today they dont see color at all and look at you like you have 2 heads when stuff like this or racial issues are discussed. Most dont give a crap anymore ( as it should be )

I do agree with you, those who dont want it or other issues thrown in their face may have no idea whats it's like to be look at differently BUT I will imagine they may with age in time. Age discrimination and disrespect unfortunately has no boundaries and neither does ignorance.

Almost 30 states have similar laws.

1. You are clearly misrepresenting the Indiana law. If not, please explain to me explicitly what religion condones bigotry and exclusion (hint: not Christianity, which is why many Christian organizations in Indiana OPPOSED this law)

But as we know all Christian beliefs are the same (just like the rest of the religions). There have been places (CO comes to mind) where gays have been refused service and the business owner based it on their religious beliefs. This law the way I've been hearing (nice radio story this afternoon) can be used by a business owner to say "You're gay goes against my religious beliefs to do business with you.... get out" without fear of legal action. Wonder if anyone with these beliefs even joins a corps knowing that some of "them" might also be members.

As for tying this into DCI, heard NFL and NBA are looking into what they can do to express their displeasure. Right now it's possible denial of Super Bowl and Al-Star games. But NFL also runs the annual combine in IN so who knows. So groups with more $$$ pull than DCI also very interested. Also heard the full NCAA response..... nice....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

yet isnt there like 37 states now with same sex marriage?. No doubt more will soon follow.It was only a few years ago there was just 4 or 5. So I guess it's not unusual for the opposing side to bark a bit. especially when they know they are losing. :wub:

Edited by GUARDLING

As for tying this into DCI, heard NFL and NBA are looking into what they can do to express their displeasure. Right now it's possible denial of Super Bowl and Al-Star games. But NFL also runs the annual combine in IN so who knows. So groups with more $$$ pull than DCI also very interested. Also heard the full NCAA response..... nice....

And that IMO is where any meaningful change will be initiated. When more high profile corporate entities get involved, whether by simply voicing their displeasure with the law, or threatening to boycott or whatever, they carry with them the kind of political/financial clout to actually get things done.***

I'm really eager to see what the NFL does here because of all these entities, the NFL has actually flung their weight around before when it comes to a political issue, threatening to boycott Arizona as a Super Bowl site. If they were to do that here, along with say, the Big Ten Conference, and the NCAA?? You can be sure that would send a very clear message and things would get done a lot quicker.

*** As it stands now, DCI has probably done about all it can do. Perhaps if they align with BOA, WGI or other youth-based arts groups who have high profile events in that state as one large block of entities, they could wield greater clout. It would take a lot of doing, but...just a thought.

• Like 1

My understanding is the original intent was so the govt could not force groups (in my area the Mennonites) to do things that go against their religious beliefs. For IN appears the law can be used by individuals to deny service to groups in the name of their religion.

Would be interesting to know how similar those laws are as far as being able to be used by individuals.

Adding a little icing to this cake, what if a girl identifes as a boy and wants to join the Cavaliers? How can denying them that opportunity be OK if denying them a drink should be a crime?

Interesting question: anyone know if this has ever come up with Cavaliers or Madison Scouts?

*** As it stands now, DCI has probably done about all it can do. Perhaps if they align with BOA, WGI or other youth-based arts groups who have high profile events in that state as one large block of entities, they could wield greater clout. It would take a lot of doing, but...just a thought.

Think DCI is doing all it can too considering the not so deep pockets they have.

Interesting will be what the NCAA does with this for two reasons:

1) Final Four coming up (great timing)

2) NCAA took a bunch of hits with their reponse to some things (I live in Central PA so figure what I'm thinking about).

DCI might actaully look at the NCAA response to get ideas as neither group can just walk away from their current contracts.