Indiana's New Law

The point is - how does on identify the LGBT? If it is because of behavior like 'public displays of affection (PDA)', that is the instructors fault. If the members (straight or LGBT) are showing PDA, then they have too much time on their hands - they should be practicing music, or cleaning drill or guard work

OK I come from the Senior/All Age corps world but my first thought was a couple walking into a store or a resturant holding hands.

Will admit the thought comes from personal experience. Every year I go to a Christmas Eve party at a relatives house and years back was told that a lesbian couple had moved nearby. So one year I meet two yong ladies at the party and didn't think anything of it. Then I saw them looking at pictures and notice they were holding hands. And I was the guy doing ---> :doh:

Still friends with them and knowing them as human beings helped change my perspective.....

• Like 1

It is kind of ironic to me ( and I'm sure others ) that a thread discussion on vestiges of alleged " discrimination " by a state legislature, will apparently find no irony at all in the long held ( and completely outdated, archaic ) clear discrimination policies that disallows the participation in 2 World Class Division Corps of marcher participants of the female gender, by virtue not of their talent, but by virtue of their gender, and gender alone.. Good grief, even the US Military itself has ended their gender discrimination practices. Setting aside the interests and the concerns of the LGBT Community for a moment here, what if the MUCH larger NOW ( National Organization for Women ) group made gender discrimination in DCI THEIR cause, and decided to elicit female marchers in DCI to boycott DCI itself until it ends its indefensible and undeniable discrimination of females from participation of 2 of its DCI World Class Division Corps. Yes, both these Corps go back to the 30's and 40's when Blacks were discriminated against. But those practices of discrimination ended decades ago. So I'm pleased that we are finally having this long overdue discussion on here about not tolerating vestiges of alleged discrimination that still remain. Perhaps we should broaden the discussion of exclusivity and alleged homosexual discrimination a bit, and include along with alleged homosexual discrimination, the very real and clearly identifiable gender discrimination that still remains in 2 DCI Corps to this very day as well. I'd be interested in all manner of responses to this from DCP'ers, as a matter of fact. Thoughts ?

Since DCI once had a number of all female corps, and it has no prohibitions on all female corps being formed and competing, I don't think the cause would have much merit. If either corps refused to hire a female staff member based on gender, that could be an issue.

A person takes in more harmful toxins from free floating frying oil particles in most restaurants; fast food or otherwise, than second-hand smoke.

Anything in excess tends to be harmful to oneself and potentially others, whether it's using tobacco products or, as example, eating too much. Bovine methane is more harmful on a worldwide basis than tobacco smoke.

In addition, the $1 federal tax (alone) on a pack of cigarettes, as example, goes to child health care as federally mandated and the American tobacco leaf is the base for the new Ebola vaccine---hence, I thank smokers for supporting child health care and saving the world from the potential Ebola plague.

In short, there is good and not-so-good in all things...............even people, well--most people.

I would love to see your science to support that viewpoint which is one I've never heard before. As a physician who deals up close and personal on a daily basis with the ravages caused by tobacco you would be hard pressed to convince me of the merits of those claims.

But I fear we are getting more than a bit off topic here.

• Like 1

Yes, Drum Corps once had All Female Drum Corps, similar to the dozens and dozens of All Male Corps that once existed . Many Corps... even into the the early 60's... had all Male Guards too. When the Cadets ( for just one example ) abandoned their decades long traditional All Male Guards to go to a Co- Ed Guard, there was a huge outcry of fierce opposition by many Cadets Alumni and many Cadets current marchers at the time . ( its in the Cadets own history to read for verification of this ) But in quick order, the Cadets got over their initial hostility to this, and later prospered competitively by the abandonment of these gender discrimination policies that the Cadets and many Drum Corps had at the time. It was the full integration of these once All Male Corps that led to the eventual non necessity of being forced to have All Female Corps too.... to the point that today there are no longer any more need for the All Female competing Drum Corps.

Edited by BRASSO

This notion that DCI should pull out of a city and stadium that has been reportedly financially beneficial ( and its people hospitable ) to DCI for several years now is just plain silly. In 1993, DCI selected Jackson, Mississippi as its Championships venue. Mississippi in 1993 was not all that hospitable to publically acknowleged homosexuals, and yet by 1993, DCI participation rates for homosexuals in the activity was pretty high then too. But one would be hard pressed to find a lot of overreacting homosexual activists people in 1993 expresssing this silly notion of boycotting DCI's chosen Championships site of Jackson, Mississippi based upon the election of state officials there, and the policies and social,political positions embraced by the majority of Mississippi citizens and their elected officials there.

The USA ( and other Western countries ) has sent its amateur athletes to Olympic sites lots of times where homosexuals are routinely picked up and imprisoned.. and in many cases, tortured and even murdered. No homosexual Drum Corps fan or current homosexual DCI marcher has anything to fear by contrast in Indianapolis, Indiana.( as others before them did in Jackson, Miss. ) This thread is interesting ( lots of pages, lots of views ) but like Shakespeare once wrote for us..... " lots of sound and fury, but in the end, signifying nothing ".

Edited by BRASSO

I do know I am now considering selling my finals tickets and canceling my hotel. Why should I visit and spend money in a state that will discriminate myself and my friends. I hope more will follow. The LGBT community has a huge fan base within DCI. Not to mention members and staff of the CORPS.

There are lesbiterians in Drum corps and gayness? Gosh I just thought everyone was just extra nice to me when I marched. It's hard to wash your back by yourself. Dam, you guys ruin every thing. Everything! Edited by Tobias

Is Pluto still considered a planet?

No. And what better example of discrimination than a decision to exclude it from solar society based on its different physical characteristics. As that discriminatory decision was made by Earthlings, I believe we should boycott Earth until it is changed. In spirit, I see some here have already started.

No. And what better example of discrimination than a decision to exclude it from solar society based on its different physical characteristics. As that discriminatory decision was made by Earthlings, I believe we should boycott Earth until it is changed. In spirit, I see some here have already started.

LOL!

The point is - how does on identify the LGBT? If it is because of behavior like 'public displays of affection (PDA)', that is the instructors fault. If the members (straight or LGBT) are showing PDA, then they have too much time on their hands - they should be practicing music, or cleaning drill or guard work

I've had at least one person tell me that if they hadn't known I was straight and married for over a decade (at the time...amost 2 1/2 now), she would;ve thlought I was gay just because of how I act sometimes.

On the other hand, while I've certainly known men so incandescntly gay you could light a cigar jusy bystanding within 10 feet of them, I've also known ones who you;d have to ask about first.

The unfortunate part is, people who ar bigoted will make a snap assumption about someone and God Himself can't change their opinion.

• Like 1