DCI New Practice Rules

I was just curious about something I read on the website of Freedom Drum and Bugle Corps. They are listed as a Prospective Corps on the DCI website under the corps tab. I was curious about this corps, since I had yet to hear about them. I copied the following section of their rehearsal information website:

"While we are going to be rehearsing quite a bit outside, to stay above the DCI future legislative curve, we’re keeping things clothing wise a bit more modest than usual drum corps. So, please, prepare to wear shirts the whole time. Cutoffs and tank tops are fine. We’re doing this, because DCI is going to make it a requirement for rehearsal in the future. Plus, it is already a requirement for Finals as of the 2015 season."

When did this change get voted in and why? It gets so darn hot while rehearsing in certain areas of the country, and now it seems DCI is concerned about modesty. I understand rules against drug use, and underage drinking, but something like banning guys from going shirtless in 105 degree heat (sunscreen should be mandatory perhaps) seems excessive. Perhaps I am just misinformed, or misinterpreting what I read. Can anyone fill me in on these changes if they are indeed true, as I am totally ignorant about any new rehearsal clothing rules.

What is going on up there with these rules.

There's a family amusement park in southern Indiana that has "stations" where they have mustard-sized pump jugs of sunscreen, free for the taking. They can't cost that much at least compared to the new technology of practice gear.

(BTW, this park's "stations" also include drink stations. Paper cups and all the water, juice, Pepsi products you want. Free. Ticket prices are, like, $30 for the entire day to the two parks, amusement rides and the water park. A stunningly amazingly clean place.)

The No Sunglasses rule was stupid to begin with, IMO.

Just be careful what you put on your face and what you put on your hotdog. :augen51:

I'd say this amusement park is worth the $30. :tounge2:

chernobyl-amusement-park.jpg

As I recall, that melt-down was die to injury, not a mistake. But regardless, your description of why members weren't allowed to wear sunglasses is one of the more inane excuse I heard over the years for why they weren't allowed. And as Garfield stated above, those excuses were indeed stupid. No corps should ever have a no-sunglasses rule for practice (heck, for daytime parades either).

Hell, the only issues I had with my glasses in 84 wasn't because they were sun-sensors...it was because if I had to dress to the side and the dress point wasn;t through the lenses, I couldn't see jack crap.

Any practice by any Corps (or sports team, for that matter) which flies in the face of confirmed contemporary medical science is, I believe, an irresponsibly gross injustice to the members of the activity. And furthermore...it is just as injurious to the development and growth of the Corps, itself.

Edited by HornTeacher

Any practice by any Corps (or sports team, for that matter) which flies in the face of confirmed contemporary medical science is, I believe, an irresponsibly gross injustice to the members of the activity. And furthermore...it is just as injurious to the development and growth of the Corps, itself.

Yep, and don't get me started on corps that choose to stand in closed first position (toes together).

I participate in a lot of triathlons and other long distance endurance events. There is a product made specifically those brutally hot training and racing days

http://www.amazon.com/Craft-Mens-Sleeve-Shirt-V-Neck/dp/B0039NN2OQ

I've done 14-16 mile training runs in 90+ heat. Keep these shirts damp and the cooling effect is awesome plus they are spf 50.

Now that I have heard the facts it make sense due to sun exposure to wear something that is both cool yet protective. By the way, just because some of us marched in the 80's and before does not make us dinosaurs. It is a rude term that usually is meant to infer we are totally out of touch with the modern drum corps activity. It is mostly us dinosaurs who are designing the shows you young people are marching in or enjoying now. Have some respect for those who came before you. I sure respected the hell out of the people who marched before I did!

• Like 1

Just be careful what you put on your face and what you put on your hotdog. :augen51:

I'd say this amusement park is worth the $30. :tounge2:

chernobyl-amusement-park.jpg

Isn't this located in Chernobyl? When the Top Gear guys were driving through Ukraine, they spent some time at the nuclear power plant.

• Like 2

Now that I have heard the facts it make sense due to sun exposure to wear something that is both cool yet protective. By the way, just because some of us marched in the 80's and before does not make us dinosaurs. It is a rude term that usually is meant to infer we are totally out of touch with the modern drum corps activity. It is mostly us dinosaurs who are designing the shows you young people are marching in or enjoying now. Have some respect for those who came before you. I sure respected the hell out of the people who marched before I did!

I hope you had the sarcasm button on when you posted. My first year in drum corps was 1964...

• Like 3