DCI New Practice Rules

Assuming it's true that this is a coming DCI rule, of course, I would imagine the medical concerns are as important a part of it as community standards. Next up, sunglasses for daytime rehearsals and hearing protection, yup. Get ahead of the curve, corps, and take care of your members.

/I have early signs of macular degeneration and am wearing hearing aids; I hear poorly without them, and have some hearing impairment even with them--hearing aids are quite expensive, not covered by most medical insurance, don't last long, and do not restore normal hearing--so let's be careful out there.

Now that I have heard the facts it make sense due to sun exposure to wear something that is both cool yet protective. By the way, just because some of us marched in the 80's and before does not make us dinosaurs. It is a rude term that usually is meant to infer we are totally out of touch with the modern drum corps activity. It is mostly us dinosaurs who are designing the shows you young people are marching in or enjoying now. Have some respect for those who came before you. I sure respected the hell out of the people who marched before I did!

Lighten up, Rex.

Relax and enjoy the pretty shooting stars. Wow that one is really big...

I participate in a lot of triathlons and other long distance endurance events. There is a product made specifically those brutally hot training and racing days

http://www.amazon.com/Craft-Mens-Sleeve-Shirt-V-Neck/dp/B0039NN2OQ

I've done 14-16 mile training runs in 90+ heat. Keep these shirts damp and the cooling effect is awesome plus they are spf 50.

Agreed. Also an endurance athlete, having more than 30 marathons & 20 ultra-marathons completed. Observe the clothing of athletes who compete in the Badwater Ultramarathon-135 miles run in the summer from Death Valley to Whitney Portals [elv. 8360]. Most elect to be covered head to toe in white. I heard Bart Yasso speak at an expo and he had photos of his "burnt" skin from the 1989 event, before it was customary to completely cover oneself. It was not sunburn, but literally the extreme heat coming off the pavement cooking his legs. That's why they run on the white stripe: so their shoes do not melt!!!

http://wicked.is/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/2011-Badwater-Ultramarathon-23.jpg

• Like 1

Agreed. Also an endurance athlete, having more than 30 marathons & 20 ultra-marathons completed. Observe the clothing of athletes who compete in the Badwater Ultramarathon-135 miles run in the summer from Death Valley to Whitney Portals [elv. 8360]. Most elect to be covered head to toe in white. I heard Bart Yasso speak at an expo and he had photos of his "burnt" skin from the 1989 event, before it was customary to completely cover oneself. It was not sunburn, but literally the extreme heat coming off the pavement cooking his legs. That's why they run on the white stripe: so their shoes do not melt!!!

http://wicked.is/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/2011-Badwater-Ultramarathon-23.jpg

Oh is that why some corps' drills are only on the painted yardlines?!?!?!, right Cavaliers? (as I duck...)

The year that DCI tried to hold a Midwest Regional in St. Louis, the contest was postponed twice. First by the extreme temperatures recorded four inches above the competitive turf, and then later due to wet weather. The sun bouncing off the chrome colored horns made some folks judging quite dizzy.

/I have early signs of macular degeneration and am wearing hearing aids; I hear poorly without them, and have some hearing impairment even with them--hearing aids are quite expensive, not covered by most medical insurance, don't last long, and do not restore normal hearing--so let's be careful out there.

And I thought my tinnitus was a pain in the but!

And I thought my tinnitus was a pain in the but!

I think your sense of direction is a little bit off. :tounge2:

• Like 1

Assuming it's true that this is a coming DCI rule, of course, I would imagine the medical concerns are as important a part of it as community standards. Next up, sunglasses for daytime rehearsals and hearing protection, yup. Get ahead of the curve, corps, and take care of your members.

Most corps now require hats and sunglasses during rehearsals. Does keep the eyes from getting messed up by the sun exposure, and the hats also keep the facial muscles from getting tightened up, making it harder for the kids to play. Does lead to some funny tan lines by the end of summer, but it's better than getting your face and eyes messed up. Guard is the one section of the corps that doesn't require stuff like this, because a hat would really limit their upward vision during equipment work.

• Like 1