Blue Devils 2015 - "Ink"

I still don't like the kpop section, but it's so short that it's not a big deal for me. The music on either side of it is enough to make me forget what I didn't like.

Nobody likes everything in every show, after all.

Edited by cajal
  • Like 1

They've had some ensemble issues with the Kpop section right after the guard finishes their dance feature, when the corps plays those hits. Deceptively tricky part to line up. On the plus side, the snare line has really cleaned up those accelerating diddles leading up to the "INK" set.

Edited by mboogey73
  • Like 1

They've had some ensemble issues with the Kpop section right after the guard finishes their dance feature, when the corps plays those hits. Deceptively tricky part to line up. On the plus side, the snare line has really cleaned up those accelerating diddles leading up to the "INK" set.

Yup it's a pretty exposed part, as is the final hit to their ballad. Impressive if done right, can be disastrous if even slightly off.

Mhmm. The section just builds up so well and in a logical manner. Starts with a nice groove, has a laid back drum break, tempo kicks up a bit as the percussion starts to add suspense, and then the hornline unleashes and does not let up at all. The contrast between that high octane section and then the ballad that comes immediately after only adds to the excitement of the Kpop section. No non-sense runs to "add difficulty," no non-sense jazz running, and everything integrates perfectly. Not to mention the "INK" set. I can't get enough of it.

Also keep in mind I'm talking about this mostly musically.

I like the rest of the show. The K-pop is tacky, can't believe BD is even doing it.

I like the rest of the show. The K-pop is tacky, can't believe BD is even doing it.

It's kind of like "Be Italian" was last year. It's a musical break from the rest of the show, a transition from one style (jazz) to another (Broadway). Like Be Italian, they even used the choreography that GOT7 uses in the original video of "I Like You" (and on stage). It's not tacky, it's just different....something most Americans have never seen before.

Remember the days when drum corps introduced us to new music and new musical styles we'd never heard before? That's what's happening here.

• Like 6

It's kind of like "Be Italian" was last year. It's a musical break from the rest of the show, a transition from one style (jazz) to another (Broadway). Like Be Italian, they even used the choreography that GOT7 uses in the original video of "I Like You" (and on stage). It's not tacky, it's just different....something most Americans have never seen before.

Remember the days when drum corps introduced us to new music and new musical styles we'd never heard before? That's what's happening here.

Just to expand, KPop groups tend to have extremely skilled dancers. In Korea, the music landscape is very different in that it's hard for artists to stay competitive unless they have "the whole package" (be able to sing extremely well live, dance extremely well, and have good looks). If you aren't constantly putting out new music and videos, you'll start to fall behind.

Here's one of GOT7's filmed dance practices

• Like 1

"Ink" is the most fan-friendly BD show in years. Live streaming does not do it justice. After seeing them in Winston-Salem, NC, I got it. Thursday begins a very intense three days. I'm still pulling for Crown to win. I also love the contrasts in story telling.

• Like 1

Excellent post John.

Listening to the show again and I really have to wonder about all the hate for the Kpop section. I honestly think it is the most high energy section this year musically towards the end (not overall).

The screamer soloist at the end of it is just the icing on the cake. One of my favorite moments of DCI 2015.

I agree. The ending of the Kpop section is my favorite moment of this season. It's so intense. Vintage BD power.

Only BD could pull off that Kpop section and make it work.

• Like 3