Blue Devils 2015 - "Ink"

RANT TIME!

I'm definitely not the first one to defend BD. However, comments this year are really pissing me off. I have differing levels enjoyment for the top 4, but I have the equal amount of respect for each of them.

I didn't like this show til seeing it in its final form at Prelims, but I still had a massive amount of respect for it. People who are saying this show doesn't have as much or any difficulty compared to their peers are full of complete ####. I watched it on the high cam after watching it only in multi all year expecting 8:00+ minutes of scatters and body movement. Is there a lot? Yes. That's just part of their visual style nowadays. But it's not NEARLY as much as 2009 - 2013. The last minute or so is FLYING. Cadets aren't the only one with a hard show this year. I don't understand where people are coming from. Crown has a TON of body movement this year and more scatter than usual. I don't say that as a bad thing, I think the way they do it is just as effective as BD, but you don't hear everyone crying about them when they do it. Bluecoats have some too.

I guess some people are just blinded by their affiliation and enjoyment of their favorite corps and can't fathom how BD does so well. They have A LOT of difficulty musically and visually, maybe not in the conventional 1980s and 1990s marching really fast at 226bpm fashion (no offense Cadets), but I finally see the ensemble, simultaneous responsibility, and staging INSANITY people are talking about. I don't think it's lined up completely this year, doesn't seem as polished as say 2014, 2010, ect, but for how hard what they are doing is, it's pretty #### good. You don't have to have the hardest show to win, it needs to be smart, and that's what Blue Devils have found a PERFECT balance of these days. The shows are insanely hard, but they don't cross the line of being uncleanable, which some corps do.

Sincerely, a Bluecoats fan, and someone who usually wants someone else to win. If they win tonight, I'm totally behind it. Just like I'd be behind anyone. There's no conspiracy going on. First Blue Devils show I can say that I really enjoy.

• Like 9

Rooting for Cadets, but watching BD last night, their content and complexity was mind-blowing...great brass sound, guard is pure professional quality and when they march, they execute really well.

RANT TIME!

I'm definitely not the first one to defend BD. However, comments this year are really pissing me off. I have differing levels enjoyment for the top 4, but I have the equal amount of respect for each of them.

I didn't like this show til seeing it in its final form at Prelims, but I still had a massive amount of respect for it. People who are saying this show doesn't have as much or any difficulty compared to their peers are full of complete ####. I watched it on the high cam after watching it only in multi all year expecting 8:00+ minutes of scatters and body movement. Is there a lot? Yes. That's just part of their visual style nowadays. But it's not NEARLY as much as 2009 - 2013. The last minute or so is FLYING. Cadets aren't the only one with a hard show this year. I don't understand where people are coming from. Crown has a TON of body movement this year and more scatter than usual. I don't say that as a bad thing, I think the way they do it is just as effective as BD, but you don't hear everyone crying about them when they do it. Bluecoats have some too.

I guess some people are just blinded by their affiliation and enjoyment of their favorite corps and can't fathom how BD does so well. They have A LOT of difficulty musically and visually, maybe not in the conventional 1980s and 1990s marching really fast at 226bpm fashion (no offense Cadets), but I finally see the ensemble, simultaneous responsibility, and staging INSANITY people are talking about. I don't think it's lined up completely this year, doesn't seem as polished as say 2014, 2010, ect, but for how hard what they are doing is, it's pretty #### good. You don't have to have the hardest show to win, it needs to be smart, and that's what Blue Devils have found a PERFECT balance of these days. The shows are insanely hard, but they don't cross the line of being uncleanable, which some corps do.

Sincerely, a Bluecoats fan, and someone who usually wants someone else to win. If they win tonight, I'm totally behind it. Just like I'd be behind anyone. There's no conspiracy going on. First Blue Devils show I can say that I really enjoy.

Very few will dwell on the numbers a week from now, we'll all be looking towards next year. The ones that complain for the next three months are the ones to avoid.

• Like 5

I've seen this show 4 times now (twice live), and I just do not understand any of it. Can someone explain what is going on? I legitimately would like a little insight, as I'd really like to enjoy this show, but I'm left more confused than anything. I can definitely appreciate the technical demand of what they're putting out, but it plays out like a David Lynch movie to me.

Not trying to be flame bait, I just think if it's explained to me I might like it much more. Thanks!

It's super simple... Fantasy stories coming to life with the guard playing the characters, then during the ballad we're introduced to the "reader" (the little girl), who interacts with her fairy tale characters that have come to life. It's a show about fantasy and imagination.

• Like 2

It's super simple... Fantasy stories coming to life with the guard playing the characters, then during the ballad we're introduced to the "reader" (the little girl), who interacts with her fairy tale characters that have come to life. It's a show about fantasy and imagination.

How does the music reflect that? I'm not getting any of that outside of the guard.

It's all from fairy tale musicals. Into the Woods and Sweeny Todd specifically. The K-pop section fits because the source song is about creepy boys liking girls and it's during the Red Riding Hood/wolves section.

For all that has been said about the K-Pop section...this seems to be the portion of the show the crowd eats up. I saw BD live at NightBEAT (hardly a pro-BD crowd) and there was a partial standing O after that production. So much velocity and energy with the performers. I really haven't loved BD since 1998 but after I saw them live this year I was fine with any of the top 5 winning.

• Like 2