Blue Devils 2015 - "Ink"

I have a curiosity question, it may have already been answered earlier in the thread, but I can't read the whole thing just to find out.

Regarding the girl from BDC who was just added to the end of the show, I thought marching members had to sign a contract and by DCI rules, were not allowed to move back and forth from other corps within a season.

If I'm wrong about the rule, please correct me. Either way, could someone "in the know" please explain the rule of the procedure for marching two different corps in the same season? Thanks.

• Like 1

I have a curiosity question, it may have already been answered earlier in the thread, but I can't read the whole thing just to find out.

Regarding the girl from BDC who was just added to the end of the show, I thought marching members had to sign a contract and by DCI rules, were not allowed to move back and forth from other corps within a season.

If I'm wrong about the rule, please correct me. Either way, could someone "in the know" please explain the rule of the procedure for marching two different corps in the same season? Thanks.

BDC's season ended a few weeks ago. The Blue Devils have "called up" members of the B Corps before (usually to fill holes due to injury, and before B started going to Championships). This is the first case of a C Corps call up, but it's pretty darned cool. Clara is a superstar. Blue Devils are Blue Devils...it doesn't matter which corps you march(ed).

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 2

I'm not sure how one would verify this, but is BDC affiliated with DCI anymore than say the winter guard, or team drumlines they operate and what-not. BDC does not show up on DCI's "corps" lists.

I do have a legitimate storyline question about it though, from a design standpoint. Forgive me in advance if this is WAY too literal and nit picky. The characters in the show are jumping off of the pages onto the field and coming to life. They come from "behind" and through the book to create the effect. Great idea.

The girl comes from the same place - through one of the books, just like the characters. So isn't she jumping off the pages of the book into the action, just like the characters? If so, that doesn't make too much sense (IMHO), since she is the reader and OBSERVER of the story, not a participant.

Seems to me logically she should have a different entrance than the characters of the story, no?

Glad to see I'm not the only one who wondered about that detail of conception. A few seconds before her appearance, it looked like the drum members were gathered around the books staring at them, and I thought to myself, "So the battery are the ones reading the story?"

When he said "We're going to show you who's reading this story", I was kinda: eh, it'll be some pretentious attempt at being deep. But when she came out of the book in "Children Will Listen" and interacted with the characters at the end of the show, I had a HUGE grin on my face.

My thought when I heard that remark in the broadcast was, "If the reader is supposed to be a kid, how will they represent that? They couldn't possibly have a real child, could they?"

• Like 1

I'm not sure how one would verify this, but is BDC affiliated with DCI anymore than say the winter guard, or team drumlines they operate and what-not? BDC does not show up on DCI's "corps" lists.

Au contraire: when I go to DCI's home page and park my cursor on "Corps", a list of all World and Open Class corps appears, the latter in two columns. Blue Devils C are the second entry in the first column, right under 7th Regiment.

• Like 1

Thanks to NeutralNovice, I finally got a visual look at BD's new closer (and the other visual changes they've made to their show).

Holy moly.

The corps is really booking it. The argument that BD doesn't march holds no water.

Novice's video is on high cam so I can't get too great of a look at the little girl in the yellow/gold dress but I'll take everyone word that she's adorable. I think this really ties the show together really well. Has BD ever made this many changes to their show this late into the season? Incredible.

Other minor changes I noticed: Sweeney Todd set has a different transition into it and the set itself is a bit more challenging to keep clean by the looks of it. The INK set in the KPop section is the same but the rotating mini blocks are moving now and they move in different tempos too. Lots of little things to bump up the demand in the show that doesn't involve rolling on the ground or making pointless movements while playing incessant runs? I'll take it!

Loved this show before, love it even more now. Thanks a ton, BD.

• Like 2