Learning About the Past In Todays Corps - LFI

Racine took a few seasons off from competing; they were founded earlier however.

I see... and you did preface this with.. " continuously competing "., so I understand better now, what you were saying.

.. they don't to argue what "is" Drum Corps or which era is better either....

And the difference between BITD and now is? :cool:

I have been present for several of the "History Nights" which Boston has...usually toward the end of move-in. One of the cooler aspects of this is the speakers from each decade...people who actually marched in the 40s, 50s, 60s, etc, as well as all the vintage videos. I do think, however, that something which does separate BAC from other organizations is the involvement of the Boston Crusaders Senior Corps. I realize that other groups put together alumni corps from time to time, but the BAC Senior Corps is 25 years old in its own right. It is a really cool thing to see both corps cheering each other on at the annual Spring Fling in June every year. And, the Senior corps typically hosts a cook out for the kids at home shows. Also, they take the corps on a duck boat tour of Boston Harbor every year at the end of move-in during which the kids and alums form great friendships. I have seen many instances where some of the alums give the current members their vintage BAC tshirts, etc. It is actually really nice. There is a great respect...both ways.

• Like 3

And when they took years off from competing, they were still able to keep the organization active with parades and other performances.

Yup, which is why I worded it as I did. Maybe I should have said "continuously field competing corps" but what would that do with shows like the old NY Convention Center (indoor on a cement floor.)

Of course, we haven't even considered the C-W Townsmen of NJ who preceded even the Racine Scouts; CW of the old Garden State Circuit were founded in the 19th century!!! (yeah, even before me or Dave Shaw's time, ha, ha.)

Edited by xandandl

And when they took years off from competing, they were still able to keep the organization active with parades and other performances.

Most parades do have competition among the participants for the "...best of......." So, in a sense-Racine Scouts are...........

Cavaliers are huge on history. You learn some your first year but your second (initiation) year is when you really learn it all. I know every drum major from 48 to when I marched, every guard sergeant, horn sergeant, winning show (VFW and AL), addresses of corps halls, names of famous members, etc. History is really big in the corps and I loved learning every minute of it.

• Like 1

Crossmen also have a "History" night during spring training with speakers from the founding years and other past generations coming out to San Antonio to share stories and recordings. The members also had a great experience at the corps banquet held in Allentown last year, where they were able to meet and eat with many PA/NJ alums. The Allentown banquet was so well received that it is being held then/there again this year.

• Like 3