Learning About the Past In Todays Corps - LFI

.. they don't to argue what "is" Drum Corps or which era is better either....

And the difference between BITD and now is? :cool:

Ohhh...twenty or thirty pounds, a generally less-full head of hair, and the occasional joint replacement (body joint, I mean). :ninja:

• Like 2

The Allentown banquet was so well received that it is being held then/there again this year.

I hope my schedule allows me to go this year.

Bluecoats have a history session during spring training as well. Talks with alumni. Video(s). They are also a corps that has alumni deeply intertwined as staff, so they are on tour with their history as well.

Racine took a few seasons off from competing; they were founded earlier however.

I am pretty sure they competed, at least at some level, every year, even if they were primarily a 'parade corps'. For example, in 1982 they scored a 12.5 and came in 43rd in what is now 'Open Class'.

But they were there.

I have been present for several of the "History Nights" which Boston has...usually toward the end of move-in. One of the cooler aspects of this is the speakers from each decade...people who actually marched in the 40s, 50s, 60s, etc, as well as all the vintage videos. I do think, however, that something which does separate BAC from other organizations is the involvement of the Boston Crusaders Senior Corps. I realize that other groups put together alumni corps from time to time, but the BAC Senior Corps is 25 years old in its own right. It is a really cool thing to see both corps cheering each other on at the annual Spring Fling in June every year. And, the Senior corps typically hosts a cook out for the kids at home shows. Also, they take the corps on a duck boat tour of Boston Harbor every year at the end of move-in during which the kids and alums form great friendships. I have seen many instances where some of the alums give the current members their vintage BAC tshirts, etc. It is actually really nice. There is a great respect...both ways.

I happened to be present a couple of years back, Craiga when a BAC, Srs Bari was discussing with 2 of us that he was anonymously financing a current BAC, Jr's Bari whose family's finances did not allow him to march without outside funding source. Unbeknownst to my friend in BAC, Sr's ( who played Bari in the 60's with BAC, Jr's himself ) the recipient Bari in the BAC' Jr's was right in back of him and overheard our conversation. He came to us, introduced himself, got a bit teary eyed, and was pleased to finally find out and meet his anonymous benefactor, that without my friends support probably would not have been able to march. It was a touching moment. That BAC, Sr marcher passed away recently incidentally. But he bled the Red & Black till the end.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 6

As a slight divergence, but still under the 'history umbrella', how aware are current members regarding Drum Corps History? I remember the first DCI-Theatre event where fans voted on 3 corps from 70s, 3 from 80s, etc. Younger attendees were absolutely blown away by 74 Anaheim (quote of the night " Why isn't the guard smiling?") About 5 years ago I showed DVD of 27 from 1980 to some current members - as one of them said - "boy, these guys didn't mess around!'

We used to play tapes on bus of hits from the past - 75 Madison, 76 BD, etc to hype. Is this still done?

And the difference between BITD and now is? :cool:

Well for one.... the pushups.

I can still do the 30..... provided you just give me maybe a couple of weeks to complete 'em all.

Was home at lunch and posted some of what has been reported here. Figure there will be either nasty responses or I'll be banned for not being respectful towards the past. Since this morning someone said "different things for different people" and got hit with a "maybe you shouldn't be here newbie" nasti-post. No idea what the mod is like on this site but the bitterness and off the wall comments are unbelievable and not touched.

LOL I mentioned I was from the 70s wonder if I'll get called a newbie....

PS - I made sure I said the Cadets have history time :devil:

Wonder what would happen if I said my ex-Alumni type corps had a younger member who went on to march Cadets. Nah they probably would think what both of my ex-Alumni types play "ain't DC".

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I know there are kids who play baseball who know all there is to know about baseball, stats, history, etc., and some know only care about the current game they are playing. During high school and college I knew people who marched with national competing corps (27th, BAC, Madison, Garfield, and North Star). I'd run into them and some could tell me about every show and every competitor, others could have cared less. In some cases I knew more from reading "Drum Corp News" and "Drum Corps World" than they did. They loved being in their corps, but there was little or no interest in the wider activity itself. Granted I do not know as many kids who march now, so I can't say for certain if the same holds true today, but fans have struck up conversations with kids who march today at meet and greets, souvenir booths, lines at concession stands, and some seem to enjoy meeting alums, fans, parents of marchers, etc., and talking about drum corps past and present. My guess is others do not.

As some have mentioned, corps with long histories tend to do a good job handing on he traditions, which includes the corps' history. I know BAC does an exceptional job and judging form he connection between alums and current marchers with Cadets, I would imagine they do too. Anyone in Indy in 2013 knows Madison stresses history and Cavies seem to be similar in that regard. My thought is that if a corps does not present the traditions and history of the individual corps and drum corps in general, something is lacking for members experience wise.

That BAC, Sr marcher passed away recently incidentally. But he bled the Red & Black till the end.

That deceased alum of whom you mention has been helpful from day one. I have two of his laminated "Waldo" designs that he created decades ago. There's a photo (don't know if it's in the scrapbook covering 64-66 I donated to the corps) of the corps marching in Johnson's Inaugural Parade in 65 and GM can be seen in the left side of the photo jogging next to the sidewalk crowds. Late in the 66 season, when he heard that my draft number was chosen, he talked me into going out to the USAF Academy to audition for their D&BC which he and Larry Nims (FH player) were members of in 66. Couldn't read music, but signed up with the AF anyways.

To add to what craiga said about the Senior corps involvement with the Junior corps, over the years there have been members of the Senior corps who never marched withe BAC. Some may have marched with corps we used to compete against, but they work just as hard as a Crusader Alum to support the Junior corps.