Learning About the Past In Todays Corps - LFI

I know when I marched that the older members, staff, and alumni that came around were always eager and willing to talk history of the corps, from the beginnings as two separate corps that merged, through the modern day group. Always an important part of the marching experience, IMHO, if the past and present are to be able to understand each other, and have a true sense of bond and brotherhood.

• Like 1

I too know the man of whom you speak and also have a framed Waldo card as a thank you from someone I arranged a sponsorship there. When I met the artist at a show in Bristol, R.I., the card with the Black Waldo on one side and the Red Waldo on the other took on an even greater meaning and generator of respect. God be good to him now for his goodness.

• Like 2

I too know the man of whom you speak and also have a framed Waldo card as a thank you from someone I arranged a sponsorship there. When I met the artist at a show in Bristol, R.I., the card with the Black Waldo on one side and the Red Waldo on the other took on an even greater meaning and generator of respect. God be good to him now for his goodness.

I never had the honor of knowing the man...but I hope that my seconding of your respectful words does not diminish it's intended support. He sounds like somebody who I dearly wish I had the fortune to know.

pretty much every corps with a substantial past history to talk about does their best to pass the legacy dwn to the next generation, some better than others. Happens in DCA as well. But look around...so may of the corps out there don't have even 20 years worth of history...it makes it tough

pretty much every corps with a substantial past history to talk about does their best to pass the legacy dwn to the next generation, some better than others. Happens in DCA as well. But look around...so may of the corps out there don't have even 20 years worth of history...it makes it tough

I know what you are saying, but if you look at the 22 WC corps, I believe all but Pacific Crest, Academy, Oregon Crusaders, and Jersey Surf are over 25 years old. Of the 18 corps over 25, all started in Key of G days and of the 18' all but Crown competed with the tic system scoring. I'm not certain about the OC corps, but Spartans and Racine Scouts have been around forever and Colt Cadets, SCVC, and BDB date back to at least the 70's. I believe Genesis, 7th Regiment, Music City, and Gold have instructors deeply rooted in the activity (either that or they have names that sound familiar). For kids marching today, anything before 1994 is ancient history, so some sort of history and tradition can be handed down.

Jeff and Tim,

Maybe we can team up to begin the BITD Presentations for corps so young. Maybe instead of stipends, we'll donate our speaking fees towards a scholarship for worthy MMs since these same corps lack the generations of alumni willing to assist today's members. All the corps would need to do would be to provide a hydraulic crane to lift us each from our sleeping bed or air mattress if we wish to be in vogue, and provide a mile snoring-warning radius for others wishing to sleep.

Then again, if the MMs were given permission to read DCP (and not in their usual snarky, on the tour bus way,) some history might be learned. :shutup:

Jeff and Tim,

Maybe we can team up to begin the BITD Presentations for corps so young. Maybe instead of stipends, we'll donate our speaking fees towards a scholarship for worthy MMs since these same corps lack the generations of alumni willing to assist today's members. All the corps would need to do would be to provide a hydraulic crane to lift us each from our sleeping bed or air mattress if we wish to be in vogue, and provide a mile snoring-warning radius for others wishing to sleep.

Then again, if the MMs were given permission to read DCP (and not in their usual snarky, on the tour bus way,) some history might be learned. :shutup:

Although Gunny says "never volunteer for nut hin' " I would be happy to assist (that is, if any corps ever comes to the VA Tidewater, but that's a different thread)

re MMs & DCP - I can understand why corps would not want them to post, but to not read DCP? I had not heard that before

alas, I know several WC directors who state to the MMs to stay away from DCP during the season as not to be distracted by the politics/disparaging remarks/prattle which sometimes appears from various posters a/o threads. Concentrate on learning your show, doing the best you can, and enjoying the members with you on tour and in other corps they are told.

alas, I know several WC directors who state to the MMs to stay away from DCP during the season as not to be distracted by the politics/disparaging remarks/prattle which sometimes appears from various posters a/o threads. Concentrate on learning your show, doing the best you can, and enjoying the members with you on tour and in other corps they are told.

I guess I was thinking more about posting as a member of the "Upper Lampshade Cadets" or whomever - we so-called adults sometimes don't behave ourselves on DCP (present company excepted, of course); it might be a stretch to expect teenagers to behave better.

edited for more better English...

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

alas, I know several WC directors who state to the MMs to stay away from DCP during the season as not to be distracted by the politics/disparaging remarks/prattle which sometimes appears from various posters a/o threads.

This alleged attempt at censorship by these " several WC Directors" is regrettable ( if true )... especially when we know for a fact that most of them themselves not only read here, they in fact are registered here and they post on here from time to time... even " during the season " in many cases. .Would it be an accurate observation then, to state that this seems a bit hypocritical ? Besides," the disparaging remarks" you refer to, on other outlets, Twitter for example, is far, FAR worse in its vitriol oftentimes towards Corps in performance ( laced with profanity too ) than anything ever seen on DCP, imo. So are these censorhip inclined WC Corps Directors that you apparently know... are they also tellling their MM's to stay off of Twitter, and other texting sites, as well ?

Edited by BRASSO