Fan Network 2015

Too many new posts to see if this has been discussed already, but the old Fan Network site is still up and running, but is now only downloads. Audio and video can still be purchased there.

It looks like you can't buy video downloads from 1988 or before (and you can only buy some from 1989). Was that the case before?

Another reason for the DVR feature is if it is skipping just back it off a couple minutes and it's ok. I don't see how a 24 hour window would be too hard to get.

My favorite three corps shows last year were Bluecoats, Cavaliers and Crossmen, so your characterization of me is wrong. I've watched each of those shows at least ten times, others fewer times, some not at all. With DCI's recent execrable rules changes, by the end of the season I know what I want to see and what I don't and hours may go by between corps I want to see. Now the only option is to wait for your one chance to see it.

I liked watching what I wanted when I wanted it, and DCI's new model doesn't serve my needs any longer, especially with the loss of the archives.

Thanks for clarifying, and I retract my caustic characterization. Perhaps simply saying that you can no longer choose which to watch was more apt.

In any case, I don't disagree with your clarification and, like someone else in the thread said, "life-happening" will make it very difficult to pre-plan and sit through and entire hours-long show for each broadcast.

• Like 2

This is not another G7 event. It's at least a poorly-explained transition to a new platform or, at worst, another poorly-implemented business plan.

I'm with Garfield on this one. DCI needs to woodshed its customer-communications skills, but I take the sympathetic view. Honestly, does anyone think DCI is intentionally trying to torpedo one of its few positively trending revenue sources? It would help immensely if Dan & Co. would address the crowd on this, but until then, my sense is that DCI is caught between the rock of onerous licensing demands and the hard place of providing some kind of video service that stays legal and does as much as possible to satisfy paying customers. Not an easy trick.

Like others here, I worry about the reliability of this supposedly superior streaming platform. I rely on Comcast and a home wifi system; I'm not about to hard-wire my home for internet. But is it still worth plunking down $100 for a season's worth of live shows? I think so -- even if I can catch only 2 or 3 of them.

Long-term, I expect DCI to come to terms with licensors and resume normal programming (which, likely will be more expensive. The lawyers certainly aren't demanding that license fees be lowered). Until then, I'll put my $100 in the "It's for the kids" category.

• Like 3

I propose a new thread, and cast my hopes upon the more technologically qualified among us:

Tips for maximizing the reliability and quality of DCI livestreams during the 2015 season

For those of us in the fat, middle part of the bell curve -- those of us with ordinary broadband and a typical home wifi router -- what can we do to minimize the chances of livestream problems such as stuttering and buffering?

My thanks in advance for anyone willing to share with the group.

• Like 3

Just signed up!

YES, 2015 'at-home' DCI sounds like a real bummer, compared to last year. These are radical changes in response to problems DCI is unable to solve as quickly as we would like. Seems as though this season came up too fast to sift through all of this in time. I have faith 2016 will be better.

In the meantime, what I am getting for my purchase is adequate for now. Living on the East Coast, I expect to view 7-8 events from home. In my situation, that's still worth the cost. Nevertheless, DCI is in a bad place right now. I'll continue to participate to help soften the blow it has taken. Please help as best you can.

I think people might be more inclined to help DCI if DCI were being a whole lot more helpful in keeping people up to date. Had DCI sent some sort of message to FN subscribers back in December-January when a bunch of old videos were removed, and then followed up monthly with updates--even updates that said, "We still don't know, we're still working on it, and we'll tell you more as soon as we know"--there would be a lot less outrage now.

Like you, I have some hope that things will be straightened out eventually, but the biggest source for that hope comes from Bob's message to flammaster, which Bob had no way of knowing would be posted to DCP. From that email, it's clear that DCI was about to send out what they thought would be a definitive message. Then a complication arose, and they sent nothing. A classic case of letting the perfect defeat the good, I'd say, and probably a pattern that's been going on for six months. Saying "I don't know" is better than saying nothing.

• Like 1

I propose a new thread, and cast my hopes upon the more technologically qualified among us:

Tips for maximizing the reliability and quality of DCI livestreams during the 2015 season

For those of us in the fat, middle part of the bell curve -- those of us with ordinary broadband and a typical home wifi router -- what can we do to minimize the chances of livestream problems such as stuttering and buffering?

Another thing that will most likely happen Monday evening will be (in an effort to see that this is all about and test the capabilities of this new "toy") the system will be overloaded and a true gauge of the delivery system may not be possible or there will be over reaction as the different bugs hopefully get worked out.

I think that's a good idea. Just wondering if the mods will move it to the off-topic section.