"New" brass instruments in 2015?

I'd hope to see some marching frenchies... Maybe some trombonium to balance out the low end timbres....

• Like 1

I'm okay with most of the new instruments being used except for Sousaphones. I hope no one uses them.

I'm in agreement with you there. DCI has no use for them.

• Like 2

I have no idea why any band should be restricted from using ANY instrumentation on a field. If you can lug it out there, or even if you can get a machine to drive it out there, then use it., even if the musicians might have to sit during most of the performance to get it just right. Particularly if such instrumentation accompanies ( for just one example ), the singers and'/ or dancers well, in the show.

Edited by BRASSO

I'm okay with most of the new instruments being used except for Sousaphones. I hope no one uses them.

How about a line of antique helicon tubas?

Personally, I'm holding out hope for bombardons, ophicleides, and serpents.

I for one hope SCV uses the trombones again in a fashion similar to last season. I loved the timbre and extra "oomph" achieved in the opening and closing hits.

It would fit their theme too. Trombones could be considered "innovative" in a way to DCI. Let's see if they can apply an innovative way to use them.

Meh... I would've thought the show was just as good with no trombones. And I doubt the trombones added to their score.

I don't really consider standing still and playing a different instrument (that is basically the same) very impressive, but maybe that is just me. I would rather see SCV baris/euphs flying around the field than standing still with trombones.

• Like 2

Meh... I would've thought the show was just as good with no trombones. And I doubt the trombones added to their score.

I don't really consider standing still and playing a different instrument (that is basically the same) very impressive, but maybe that is just me. I would rather see SCV baris/euphs flying around the field than standing still with trombones.

I mean, assuming they had simply swapped the trombones for baris and euphs, everyone would have still been standing in one set. Wouldn't really have made sense to be "flying around the field" in that particular moment. Again, I just think it added a cool timbre and I like to see corps experimenting around. New sounds are exciting.

• Like 2