Move Ins and Noise Ordinances

I apologize in advance if this topic has been discussed before. If so, please direct me to the thread.

I noticed on a corps facebook page that a resident living a mile away from where move-in is occurring has posted a few polite complaints about the noise, asking them to stop after a certain time and to not play on weekends at all, be more respectful to locals in the neighborhood, etc. I found it disheartening while at the same time I kind of understand where he is coming from - and I LOVE the sounds of drum corps, but ten some hours a day for someone who is outside the activity and doesn't get it might be nerve wracking.

I know when I've volunteered at camps and such I just tune the stuff out and pretty soon I don't hear it. I imagine that's what I'd do if I were this guy, or invest in some high quality earplugs.

But then it made me curious if any local has ever played the noise ordinance card during a camp or move-in?

In 1978, I was at the Blue Devils rehearsal prior to the World Championships Prelims when the Boulder, CO Noise Enforcement vehicle pulled up with a complaint and the officer took decibel readings. Doris Wentland, a local with the DCI committee, had to attend a hearing a few weeks later. Drum Corps World published a photo of Doris bending down at a Boulder Noise Enforcement vehicle with her hand cupped to her ear to listen for any noise from the vehicle.

In 1979, I was again at a Blue Devils rehearsal prior to the World Championship Prelims in Birmingham. The corps was staying and practicing at a suburban high school to the north of the city. During the evening rehearsal, an irate neighbor came from across the street to complain about the noise and state how his family couldn't enjoy their evening routine. This is one of the more awesome things I've witnessed at corps rehearsals: The staff was very polite with him and explained what they were doing and asked him to watch for a moment what they were doing. After a few minutes, the man left the rehearsal without saying anything and went home. A few minutes later, he was back, with his family in tow. They stayed for quite some time, watching the corps rehearse and then do the run-through. I think the corps created some new fans of drum corps that day.

• Like 2

Every year in Freelancers...

1st show of 2nd tour was almost always Ogden UT....

Every year... the cops showed up.

Got to be such a regular occurence that one year we passed around a coffee can with a sign attached to it that read.. "John Zimny Bail Fund"

• Like 2

Only happened once I was aware of in 84 (the advantage to Mars being fars from any homes!)...brass sectional in a local park.

Dude came and complained....all it did was make us play louder!

Similar in 03 SoCal Dream at Sunnyvale. Old lady living just over the fence got ###### at us AND Renegades....tried to drown us out with her TV.

yeah....THAT went well!

• Like 1

Didn't I read that Oregon started camp earlier this year? I wonder if that's contributing to the problem.

That said, the concerned citizen's picture suggests that he's not a cranky old geezer. I wonder if the complaint is in jest?

There was story from band director (who was/is on DCP) in New Orleans. They were hosting SOA (1980; turned out to be the day before Ott was tragically killed), the local director asked them to form a warm-up arc aimed toward a certain house next to school & play 'Georgia', as the homeowner always complained about the band being too loud...

Supposedly she never complained about the band again.

• Like 7

There was story from band director (who was/is on DCP) in New Orleans. They were hosting SOA (1980; turned out to be the day before Ott was tragically killed), the local director asked them to form a warm-up arc aimed toward a certain house next to school & play 'Georgia', as the homeowner always complained about the band being too loud...

Supposedly she never complained about the band again.

I would LOVE to have a warm-up arc of "Georgia" aimed at my house ;-)

• Like 1

I don't think the cops ever showed up for us, but there was an incident at all days in 2012. We went out for brass rehearsal at the 4H fairgrounds in Indiana where Troopers are still housed, and found that there was a full-on 4H horse show going on right next to our rehearsal field.

Needless to say, the 4H moms were NOT pleased when we showed up and started to play (there were several yells of "ARE YOU ####### KIDDING ME?!?!"and lots of dirty looks given in our direction).

Despite the fuss they were making, no police showed up, nor did the fairgrounds staff do anything. In fact, I think they did more to help keep the horse showfrom interfering with our practice, than vice-versa.

Didn't I read that Oregon started camp earlier this year? I wonder if that's contributing to the problem.

That said, the concerned citizen's picture suggests that he's not a cranky old geezer. I wonder if the complaint is in jest?

I don't know for sure. Maybe so, but my hunch is that this is pretty universal as an issue. It just made me wonder if a corps would have to stay indoors past a certain hour if someone actually pushed for the enforcement of a noise ordinance.

Personally, I'd LOVE to be in the vicinity of a move-in. I'd walk around, watch all the sectionals then bring some take out and stay for full ensemble and run-through.

Edited by luv4corps

I apologize in advance if this topic has been discussed before. If so, please direct me to the thread.

I noticed on a corps facebook page that a resident living a mile away from where move-in is occurring has posted a few polite complaints about the noise, asking them to stop after a certain time and to not play on weekends at all, be more respectful to locals in the neighborhood, etc. I found it disheartening while at the same time I kind of understand where he is coming from - and I LOVE the sounds of drum corps, but ten some hours a day for someone who is outside the activity and doesn't get it might be nerve wracking.

I know when I've volunteered at camps and such I just tune the stuff out and pretty soon I don't hear it. I imagine that's what I'd do if I were this guy, or invest in some high quality earplugs.

But then it made me curious if any local has ever played the noise ordinance card during a camp or move-in?

I pity the poor guy. Doesn't realize how lucky he is. I'd be ecstatic if I found out BD was rehearsing one mile away from me. Especially over the summer.

Edit: for some reason I thought your post said the corps was BD but you had in fact not specified any corps at all. My sentiment still stands though. Northern Virginia doesn't get much drum corps action

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1