2015 Uniforms (All Threads Now Merged HERE)

Hey it's true. Children are encouraged to answer questions that deepen their understanding (and I'm sure corps give explanation of the design elements within the show), but when has a child ever looked at a history textbook or science textbook and CHALLENGED the content within the book? Not very often if ever.

It's really shocking to me how deeply ingrained in marchers this idea of design authority is. "Designers are truth. Designers are the authority. Designers are not responsible for corps scores." When in reality, it's designers that are nearly fully responsible for whether or not a corps succeeds in scoring. Designers are the final criterion for whether a corps wins or not. Why don't marchers hold them more accountable? Why isn't there more discussion between corps members and design teams about designers' responsibilities and accountability?

For example, who was more responsible for winning last year's DCI championship? The designers or the marchers? The answer is, it all came down to who had a more thematically resonant show-- whose concept was stronger. It had nothing to do with the performers who were in peak condition as musicians and performers.

For example, who was more responsible for winning last year's DCI championship? The designers or the marchers? The answer is, it all came down to who had a more thematically resonant show-- whose concept was stronger. It had nothing to do with the performers who were in peak condition as musicians and performers.

Oh ########....that's the same as saying Star of Indiana only made finals in 85 because they bought their way in.

It wasn't Mason, DeLucia, or the staff marching the show...it was the members on the field. And if they didn't perform it well, they would not have made it into finals.

You REALLY need to stop pulling "facts" out of your ###....you've been continually wrong on so many levels, I;m losing track.

The coaching staff of a sports team like basketball call the shots....that's what they're being paid to do. When the superstar starts ignoring the coach and makes decisions on his own (beyond those necessary to react to game conditions), that;s when the team falls apart.

You clearly have never marched corps....I highly doubt you even marched in high school.

There really wasn't much depth to "Felliniesque" (a show I enjoyed very much), a fact which is plainly borne out by watching BD's own backstage videos on the production. Sure, they claimed, for instance, that one message the show communicated was "Fellini's religion", but nothing in the performance itself supported that notion.

This show captured the style and absurdity of Fellini's films, musically and visually. That's why it won. Compared to the puerile Jeopardy game category of "things that tilt", there was no competition. (Even if Bluecoats had selected a pinball theme, it might have given them more depth, but no.)

However, "Religion" as a theme appeared here a couple of times, although the use of the word religion here was probably meant more in terms of a artistic style or philosophy. But as long as you brought it up, here are the obvious references you missed.

The lady with the umbrella is the most obvious religious reference-- an ethereal dark angel who she saves the suicidal Eumolpo the limping clown. (Jesus, Mary or Gabriel or any of the other Christian saints are nowhere to be found.) In fact when there are gatherings here, it's not around the vatican or church services, but rather around dancing girls at a cabaret and to watch performers at a pub when the girls sit around a table and watch the drummers solo.

At the end, an altar of sorts is built for Fellini, a shrine, but the chair was empty, unlike most churches where a crucifix is the center, Fellini had abandoned his post there-- a humanist commentary on established religion.

Here's what else you probably missed as you chomped on cough drops to soothe your throat after screaming at the pitch bend of Bluecoat's show. BD's show addressed suicide, the chaos and hubris of film and the arts, delved into the underbelly of sexual desire and dancing girls as continual distractions to an artist's search for meaning. The show was an anti-establishment homage to a brilliant underdog artist who lampooned the church and mainstream film, reflected in the show design featuring men without pants, dancers on table tops and absurd circus characters in search of meaning, all references to Fellini's award winning films with complex themes. So much more artistic depth and complexity than say, lunging or slanting your head.

PS: Wake the hell up. Tilt was embarrassing wordplay without depth of meaning, as admitted by its show coordinator. And that's why it lost. Not because of the performers.

Edited by Channel3

This show captured the style and absurdity of Fellini's films, musically and visually. That's why it won. Compared to the puerile Jeopardy game category of "things that tilt", there was no competition. (Even if Bluecoats had selected a pinball theme, it might have given them more depth, but no.)

However, "Religion" as a theme appeared here a couple of times, although the use of the word religion here was probably meant more in terms of a lifestyle. But as long as you brought it up, here are the obvious references you missed.

The lady with the umbrella is the most obvious religious reference-- an ethereal dark angel who she saves the suicidal Eumolpo the limping clown. (Jesus, Mary or Gabriel or any of the other Christian saints are nowhere to be found.) In fact when there are gatherings here, it's not around the vatican or church services, but rather around dancing girls at a cabaret and to watch performers at a pub when the girls sit around a table and watch the drummers solo.

At the end, an altar of sorts is built for Fellini, a shrine, but the chair was empty, unlike most churches where a crucifix is the center, Fellini had abandoned his post there in a humanist commentary on established religion.

Here's what else you probably missed as you chomped on cough drops to soothe your throat after screaming at the pitch bend of Bluecoat's show. BD's show addressed suicide, the chaos and hubris of film and the arts, delved into the underbelly of sexual desire and dancing girls as continual distractions to an artist's search for meaning. The show was an anti-establishment homage to a brilliant underdog artist who lampooned the church and mainstream film, reflected in the show design featuring men without pants, dancers on table tops and absurd circus characters in search of meaning, all references to Fellini's award winning films with complex themes.

PS: Wake the hell up. Tilt was embarrassing wordplay without depth of meaning, as admitted by its show coordinator.

Recently there was a topic about pseudointellectuals on DCP. I got to wondering who they were referring to. Now I know.
  • Like 2

Recently there was a topic about pseudointellectuals on DCP. I got to wondering who they were referring to. Now I know.

I'll sign an autograph for you if you'd like

• Like 2

PS: Wake the hell up. Tilt was embarrassing wordplay without depth of meaning, as admitted by its show coordinator. And that's why it lost. Not because of the performers.

Interesting. So what happened after that Phantom Regiment rehearsal you watched was over and you told the designer how you felt about what you had seen? What did he say in response to your comments?