2015 Uniforms (All Threads Now Merged HERE)

Your logic is like a teen girl at prom. "It doesn't look like that and yes it does so who cares, no one cares about you!"

My. God.

Please describe the intention behind this absurd trend and why no one is talking about it. And why no designer can justify the trend as it relates to individual show design other than it's a trend in general. That's not good enough.

From your posts, I know you look at everything in a very deep, detailed manner. You respect historical accuracy and stay true to the art behind the show. I respect that greatly.

However, to be frank, I'd be surprised if there was even 1 person in the audience at a show that cares at the level that you do about these specific elements of a show. While you and the other poster may be on to something with this "lazy" costume design, I suspect not many other people give a crap.

• Like 1

Your logic is like a teen girl at prom. "It doesn't look like that and yes it does so who cares, no one cares about you!"

My. God.

Please describe the intention behind this absurd trend and why no one is talking about it. And why no designer can justify the trend as it relates to individual show design other than it's a trend in general. That's not good enough.

Aww did you think up that all on your own I'm shocked. Name calling makes you look like a teen girl at prom.

For your own stupidity I said from decade to decade comes new styles. If a designer wants a skirt like element good for them. I never said it had to go with the show design, I said if they choose it then they choose it as a general trend. If they want to do something different than what they've been doing that's there decision. They're not going to stick with a design forever.

To answer your question as to why no one has talked about it which I'm certain it probably has been talked about before. Is just like you stated, it just has become a general trend, there's no motivation behind it in show design and it doesn't have to be. Everyone has a certain look they want to have from year to year and it's there decision what elements they want to a certain design.

I respect channel3 opinion on the subject and his civil way of talking like and adult about it unlike yours. So with that said I'm done talking to you, Bye!!!

I never said it had to go with the show design,

DCI Costume designers have made incredible strides in pushing the envelope of color, form, shape and style of clothing. Their originality is off the charts. If designers are pushing the envelope of originality, they should also be aware of cliches. Designers have an artistic obligation to avoid creating costume elements that are nonsensical, trend-driven, and antithetical to the nature of the show concept. Each costume element has a starting point of inspiration, which should be tied to the original show concept in some way, the relevance of which designer should be able to discuss. And each costume should be edited and tweaked by the show coordinator with an eye toward thematic unity. Finally, each costume should be taken through a series of focus groups to make sure the impression received by the audience is the one that's intended by the designer.

My. God.

you give people an excuse to focus on the name calling rather than on the content of your post

DCI Costume designers have made incredible strides in pushing the envelope of color, form, shape and style of clothing. Their originality is off the charts. If designers are pushing the envelope of originality, they should also be aware of cliches. Designers have an artistic obligation to avoid creating costume elements that are nonsensical, trend-driven, and antithetical to the nature of the show concept. Each costume element has a starting point of inspiration, which should be tied to the original show concept in some way, the relevance of which designer should be able to discuss. And each costume should be edited and tweaked by the show coordinator with an eye toward thematic unity. Finally, each costume should be taken through a series of focus groups to make sure the impression received by the audience is the one that's intended by the designer.

I'm not so sure the focus groups are necessary. For one thing, that's expensive . Also, the best judge of whether a particular costume or uniform is "nonsensical, trend-driven, and antithetical to the nature of the show concept", is the people who actually judge the show. After all, if the costume or uniform is all those things...except, maybe, the "trend-driven" thing...the show's scores will suffer.

I'm not so sure judges would consider whether a design is trend-driven or not when scoring a performance.

As a designer of many programs winter and summer. Of course with huge success and a few misses for sure which needed to be tweeked. It does seem that you are the only one or one of a very few with an issue on this. SO, maybe there's you focus group answer

• Like 1

However, to be frank, I'd be surprised if there was even 1 person in the audience at a show that cares at the level that you do about these specific elements of a show. While you and the other poster may be on to something with this "lazy" costume design, I suspect not many other people give a crap.

What about the marchers themselves? What if they don't like wearing skirts, or tights, or just weird outfits with dangly bits? What if they dislike the uniform so much, or feel uncomfortable wearing it (because after all, these kids ARE still in their formative years where they may or may not yet be comfortable wearing the craziest of costumes), that it affects their concentration or their morale every time they take the field? What if they choose not come back to that corps the following year because of it?

What about the marchers themselves? What if they don't like wearing skirts, or tights, or just weird outfits with dangly bits? What if they dislike the uniform so much, or feel uncomfortable wearing it (because after all, these kids ARE still in their formative years where they may or may not yet be comfortable wearing the craziest of costumes), that it affects their concentration or their morale every time they take the field? What if they choose not come back to that corps the following year because of it?

Wow, you sure do paint quite the dramatic picture!!!!!

If a marching member is that distraught about a uniform, then drum corps probably isn't the activity for them.

The corps will easy fill their spot the following year with a marcher who won't be a diva about the threads they wear.

• Like 3

Wow, you sure do paint quite the dramatic picture!!!!!

If a marching member is that distraught about a uniform, then drum corps probably isn't the activity for them.

The corps will easy fill their spot the following year with a marcher who won't be a diva about the threads they wear.

What about the marchers themselves? What if (they) I don't like wearing skirts, or tights, or just weird outfits with dangly bits? What if (they) I dislike the uniform so much, or feel uncomfortable wearing it (because after all, (these kids ARE) I am still still in (their) my formative years where (they) I may or may not yet be comfortable wearing the craziest of costumes), that it affects (their) my concentration or their morale every time (they) I take the field? What if (they) I choose not come back to that corps the following year because of it?

This is how I read that one.

Edited by troon8
  • Like 1

Interesting choice of words you use to belittle the feelings of one of the people paying a few thousand dollars to participate in the activity, since it's the desire to avoid appearing like a diva that we are talking about.

Just as an example, I'd be curious to know whether Oregon's retention rate was the same following the season they wore this outfit. Maybe it was - maybe it even improved, I don't know. BUt it's information I'd be curious about.

48242026E.jpg