Is size a factor in World Class corps?

In the Cadet's show last night at the theater, the camera focussed on a pod of trumpet players at the start of the show, and a couple of them seemed VERY small.

Short isn't really an issue, particularly if your drill writer takes care not to try and bend the laws of physics and anatomy. Similarly, tall isn't an issue either. The issue in terms of size is mass. People with larger body mass have a harder time with the more physical aspects of modern drum corps. Carrying excessive weight (a little is ok, a lot is not) leads to difficulty with choreography, high-speed drill, and increases the chance of injury.

Have larger folks marched successfully? Absolutely, but it's certainly not easy. And at some point, a corps (and the member himself/herself) really needs to ask some tough questions. health and safety is of paramount concern in today's activity, and it should be. The line of where risk vs. reward treads into unnecessary risk territory is thin, and has to be determined individually.

Edited by Kamarag

I've always wondered so I figured I'd ask: is size usually a factor when deciding who to contract for world class drum corps? Is there a particular height or weight that's considered ideal? For instance, would someone small or thin have less of a chance at making hornline (even if they're remarkably fit)? I've always been curious, as most people in drum corps appear to be mostly of the same figure. Maybe it's all the working out.

I haven't read the full thread, so not sure if it has been mentioned yet...

All that has to be said about size can be found in SCV's 1999 show. The female quad player must have been all of 5 foot nothing. If you can play and march, you can find a corps that will take you with open arms.

• Like 1

Short isn't really an issue, particularly if your drill writer takes care not to try and bend the laws of physics and anatomy. Similarly, tall isn't an issue either.

I disagree. My experience has been that this variance becomes a stress during certain types of velocity drill, size of step challenges, and some of the more gymnastic moves required in modern drum corps. The stress is both on the performer and on the drill writer. It becomes the stress of the tech to make the variance non-noticeable in the teaching and recovery aspects. Drills done by some corps might witness this compared to the programs of other units.

Short isn't really an issue, particularly if your drill writer takes care not to try and bend the laws of physics and anatomy. Similarly, tall isn't an issue either. The issue in terms of size is mass. People with larger body mass have a harder time with the more physical aspects of modern drum corps. Carrying excessive weight (a little is ok, a lot is not) leads to difficulty with choreography, high-speed drill, and increases the chance of injury.

Have larger folks marched successfully? Absolutely, but it's certainly not easy. And at some point, a corps (and the member himself/herself) really needs to ask some tough questions. health and safety is of paramount concern in today's activity, and it should be. The line of where risk vs. reward treads into unnecessary risk territory is thin, and has to be determined individually.

I focussed on the small side in my post, becasue the op had said this..."...would someone small or thin have less of a chance at making hornline".

Edited by MikeD

Honestly I marched for 5 years, 2 of those years being in a top 12 corps, and 2 a top 6 corps. A few years I went into camp being about 300 lbs at 6'3". I worked my butt off and didn't accept any excuses about my size. Lost about 40-50 lbs every year and would say that I could march anything given to me. Even had a drum major tell me for a bigger guy, I can sure as hell move. Size doesn't matter (within reason). You're attitude matters.

In the Cadet's show last night at the theater, the camera focussed on a pod of trumpet players at the start of the show, and a couple of them seemed VERY small.

In fact, not really unless you count 5'8" as short.

Since corps in every class are equally striving to do as well as they can....then can't it also be asked whether size would be an issue at any level -- not just World Class? Those Open Class kids count every bit as much as the World Class kids.

Edited by HornTeacher