Is size a factor in World Class corps?

A few years back Academy had 2 horn players who were 6'7" or so. I saw an interview article that discussed the struggles the drill designer encounters in keeping the ensemble image and not over-exaggerating the height differences if they stood next to the shortest persons in the line. Regiment's hornline last year had some of the same struggles with taller and shorter members.

I am aware of one top 6 corps where the drill designer said to me that he aims in visual auditions for an ensemble look (meaning no extremes in height or weight) but his is but one vote about who gets membership. He works with whomever he is given by the director. It is an additional challenge for the drill staff to make it work well. This is not a corps where I have had past involvement by the way.

In the fuller matter of disclosure, I am the shortest of the males in my family, my baby brother towering over me at 6'6". His twin sister is but 5'4".

I am aware of one top 6 corps where the drill designer said to me that he aims in visual auditions for an ensemble look (meaning no extremes in height or weight) but his is but one vote about who gets membership. He works with whomever he is given by the director. It is an additional challenge for the drill staff to make it work well. This is not a corps where I have had past involvement by the way.

I seem to recall this being Crown, but I'm not sure...anyway I agree that it can be a factor for some corps...especially as you get higher up the ranks...

I marched with a skinny, 5-foot-nothing contra player from Japan. She hated life occasionally, but never showed it and outperformed most others in the section. I've also marched with some large people who initially had trouble with moving, but got it by July-August. It's all about the will to get better and perform.

Here's one caveat though: a lot of visual staff members in the top 12 corps simply won't tolerate overweight members. Some of them are total dicks about it.

If it's between a great musician who has trouble moving or a fit person who's a meh musician, the latter will typically get the spot.

EDIT: to answer the actual question in terms of straight up height, it doesn't matter from what I've seen and from the people I know who teach. One of the shortest people I had ever seen on the field marched tenors for Madison in either 2011 or 2012.

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar
  • Like 1

Marched with a 5'3" mellophone player. He matched contra elsewhere the year before. Did 5 years with my corps and aged out a horn sergeant. He's still short too.

Size always matters. Don't let anyone tell you it doesn't.

I kid. In reality, no. We had all shapes and sizes when I marched. :)

I saw Brandon this past family day and while he's still small in comparison to the rest of the snareline it's really not noticable. The man can play.

Yes, I should have added to my post. He is definitely thriving now.

Yes, I should have added to my post. He is definitely thriving now.

I think anyone who saw him hanging with BD's snares at 12 years old knew he'd be in that line one day.

So now he has a record-setting world championship under his belt. He has plenty of time to win an I&E title, a Sanford trophy, and be BD's center snare.

Edited by 84BDsop