4Blue Devils C38.850

World ClassView Recap

1Blue Devils75.150

2Santa Clara Vanguard73.350

3Phantom Regiment68.300

4Blue Knights66.850

5Pacific Crest59.550

6Mandarins58.200

Glad they are rewarding Mandarins, thought they looked better than their Open Class counterparts.

• Like 1

Looks to be another one of those years between BDB and SCVC.

Interesting, BK beat Regiment in Brass.

Happy to see the mandarins doing well, though i really hope Crest can break through into the next tier.

I'll write a full review in a bit, but just got in from the show and wanted to share my thoughts (in no particular order).

This was the first time in a very long time where I enjoyed EVERY show. I didn't dislike any show, which is fantastic!

Golden Empire, holy moley! They are big for a new Open Class.corps. Very promising!!

BDB/SCVC are neck and neck. I give the advantage to SCVC - both tonight and at finals.

Mandrians are the best they have ever looked. They need a few weeks to clean it up and tighten it up (especially the guard. Did they draft horn members to join guard?!)

Blue Devils are on another planet - no one even came close to them. And I say this as someone who hasn't loved BD some of the past few years. An enjoyable show!

Phantom seemed flat. And (I hate to say this, but a little boring). Blue Knights seem promising, but its hard to get a real read on them since their show isn't finished. I also don't think this will be the year that Pacific Crest pushes for finals, sorry.

Venue was great, weather was wonderful (bit windy).

It pains me that CA is home to so many wonderful corps and we won't really see them again (except a few Open Class shows) until next year.

• Like 3

Golden Empire, holy moley! They are big for a new Open Class.corps. Very promising!!

It pains me that CA is home to so many wonderful corps and we won't really see them again (except a few Open Class shows) until next year.

And this is Golden Empire's second season too!

Also no first impressions on SCV? I'll just chalk it up to being speechless. :)

And this is Golden Empire's second season too!

Also no first impressions on SCV? I'll just chalk it up to being speechless. :)

SCV was good! I think the guard has too many costume changes. Corps sounded and moved very well! The props were a little confusing (I know what they are, but I don't feel they added anything to the show).

• Like 1

My dci feed crashed last night, does anyone have a video of SCV? I'm really wanting to see their show.

So the Blue Devils' guard gained a half point on SCV's guard in one show? I know BD guard has been the best in so many consecutive years, but a half point gain in one night?

Just goes to show how scores are so relative to who is judging.

Just got home after attending the Moonlight Classic. Just a few comments before turning in.

As was mentioned above, this was an absolutely great evening, as every corps put forth an enjoyable show. if one is a drum corps fan, you spent the entire evening smiling!

BDC: As always, they take the award for being cute and adorable.

Golden Empire: For me, the most pleasant surprise of the evening. For a second year corps, they are definitely headed in the right direction. The corps is big, and march and play with much more competence than I would expect from such a new corps.

SCVC and BDB: Wow. These corps are both phenominal. It is very easy to forget that these are Open Class corps when you see them on the field. They will be pushing each other all season to the benefit of us fans. Both shows are well thought out, well paced, and the kids can really play.

Pacific Crest: I'm a big supporter of this corps; I think they have the potential to eventually become a serious finals contender. I very much like the new uniforms, and think they sound better than ever. I like their show, but for me, it lacked the spark, the sizzle, needed to jump PC into serious consideration as a top 12 corps (at least as of tonight).

Mandarins: Best I have ever heard from them. This show is intense and they are not the least bit timid in how they serve it up to the audience. I would expect that they will make a nice jump once they get their guard in uniform! Tonight, they were still in simple black practice gear, which made them disappear amongst the dark uniforms of the rest of the corps. Once they add color (and thus contrast) in the guard, they will be able to sell this show much more easily and with far greater effect.

BD: This is yet another powerhouse show form the Devils. As usual, lots of stuff going on visually and musically, all done with their typical flare and style. When I saw the show at Family Night I was optomistic, but still unsure. At the time, the guard was not yet in uniform, and the closing number was not yet on the field. Now that that has changed, the show became much more cohesive and understandable. The championship vehicle is there, its now a matter of bringing out each individual nuance of the show to its best potential. The props are going to bother people for a while, but i think that may change once the props are in their final form. (The "books" for instance, look nothing like books at the moment. As a result they are more of a confusion than an effective part of the show) I also felt that the story characters need work, with more specific focus directed to them. As key thematic elements, it was too easy to lose track of, or miss them entirely. Bottom line however is this is another killer show that can definitely keep BD as the reigning champ.

SCV: Wonderful show! Musically rich, visually enticing, and very very well performed. My wife's favorite of the night. I expect Vanguard to take a medal with this show. Surprisingly, their props left me wondering. I get what they are. I like their look as a visual element, but I have this nagging thought that they need to DO something other than look good. I kept wanting them to flash on a drum hit or something! :tounge2: Anyway, this is a show that I think will receive a great reception from fans, and put SCV into the top three this year for sure.

Phannnnnnntom Regiment: First, a big thank you to PR for once again coming out west. You are loved an appreciated by us West Coast fans. PR had what I considered the "safest" show of the evening. It is solid musically, drill is nicely designed, the uniforms and guard look great, everything is done with confidence and competence, but in the very end I was left wanting more from an emotional standpoint. I don't want to be construed as saying this is not a good show; it is. But for me it just didn't reach me on any significant emotional plain.

BK: Not sure what to say. It is difficult to form any meaningful opinion when the show presented is incomplete. What is on the field is visually interesting. Musically, especially in the beginning, the corps' approach is intriquing. But until I can see the whole show I'm not sure if I think the whole will be one I consider memorable, or one I am lukewarm about. Certainly the potential is there, but until the complete show is on the field, its hard to judge its effectiveness.

OK. Way to tired. Night all.

• Like 1