Fake Plastic GE

I agree to some extent on body movement, it's excessive, but I still think the final product is better than 15-20 years ago.

• Like 1

I agree to some extent on body movement, it's excessive, but I still think the final product is better than 15-20 years ago.

I don't. In 2013 I thought I'd give it one more year to see if I could stomach all the stupid synths, body movement, prancing, dancing, singing, and yacking. I only scheduled one show last year - San Antonio. Only saw 3 corps and had to leave early for other reasons. Watched prelims on the FN and realized I was done with drum corps. At this point there's more stuff on the field that I don't like than stuff that I do. I just can't look past the annoying crap any more.

Edited by SFZFAN

I don't. In 2013 I thought I'd give it one more year to see if I could stomach all the stupid synths, body movement, prancing, dancing, singing, and yacking. I only scheduled one show last year - San Antonio. Only saw 3 corps and had to leave early for other reasons. Watched prelims on the FN and realized I was done with drum corps. At this point there's more stuff on the field that I don't like than stuff that I do. I just can't look past the annoying crap any more.

Legitimate question out of curiosity: if you're "done" with drum corps, how come you still comment and read DCP? Don't take this the wrong way, I think that the more contributors we have here, the better.

Legitimate question out of curiosity: if you're "done" with drum corps, how come you still comment and read DCP? Don't take this the wrong way, I think that the more contributors we have here, the better.

Because I can. I've been a fan of this activity for over 30 years. I've forgotten more about drum corps than you know. I come here to see how the season is progressing.

Edited by SFZFAN

Because I can. I've been a fan of this activity for over 30 years. I've forgotten more about drum corps than you know. I come here to see how the season is progressing.

Gotcha! Well, glad to have you still here!

Its sad that some people have this apparent need to criticize the tens of thousands of former fans that have left going to shows ... using perjorative attacking words such as " hard heads " for deciding what to do with their free time. its wonderful that you still enjoy something. But this apparent need to attack others that have left what you personally still find rewarding, is most unfortunate, imo. I like baseball. ... others NBA basketball,for example. I do not refer to those former fans that no longer participate as fans or participants of these sports, as ( your words ) " hard heads ". That would be not be my call, as well as being an uncivil and improper characterization of them, imo.

Actually a valid point.

My bad trying to be clever.

...but I still don't think someone who stops being a fan can be called a die hard fan.

• Like 4

I've seen some shows that turned my stomach, Cadets 2006 comes to mind, but overall I think the activity is still far more than worthwhile.

I'm not trashing the Cadets, their great shows far outweigh their terrible shows, and even then there are many spectacular moments in them.

Go back and watch your favorite corp from the late seventies, ask yourself these 3 things......

1) was it really more musical?

2) was marching timpani really a good idea?

3) did you really like the toy sounding marching keyboards?

As someone who marched and even taught very early you are right .

YES it was exciting and musical

2 and 3 IMO were always silly and back breaking for no reason

But i will say when we look back we all do with rose colored glasses, We all want to find just the good. You can look at some great guards and music of the times and for me still get chills BUT really go back to even the ones EVERYONE says were the cleanest. hmmmmmm not so much, at least as we all want to remember it.

Today is just a way different animal. What's asked of members today we could never BITD achieved it in the time given, but why would we. We learned different, were asked to do way different things, we did not have to layer everything we did, talk about park and blow, we did dam concert tunes that we stood still for ( entire numbers ) Our tours were shorter, we spent more time home and lets not even talk about judging.

This is why it can all be appreciated but never compared. Now, one can like one or the other , that's a personal choice, One can remember what they want how they want but as far as I am concerned for either to not be able to keep things in perspective of the times , demands, period of time in history etc etc, efforts it takes or took to produce what we do now or did then, doesn't really get any of it.

I can see how some don't like what is done today. Some and i do mean some do not see what they were a part of anymore. I will say to them and its just my opinion. LOOK CLOSE, I am very much a product of wayyyyy back to the Jurassic period but I know without what we did and our contributions there would be no today SO we are all responsible for today. I choose to look at it that way. Others can certainly choose to look at it any other way.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

This is why it can all be appreciated but never compared.

Sure....and then you bloviate with run on sentences and you DO compare today with BITD and like nobodies business too. You are so funny... and also so positively clueless on some many things from BITD that I'm beginning to think that you never marched nor taught anyone before.... that its all just a put on by you, Guardling.

Edited by BRASSO

Sure....and then you bloviate with run on sentences and you DO compare today with BITD and like nobodies business too. You are so funny... and also so positively clueless on some many things from BITD that I'm beginning to think that you never marched nor taught anyone before.... that its all just a put on by you, Guardling.

Dan you are the clueless one, All I can tell you is that there is no doubt I kicked your ### BITD. I'm very sure of that

Attacking again? cant make a statement without one can ya. Shows exactly where you come from DAN

at least most can tell where you DIDNT march..lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1