Fake Plastic GE

Very, very good post, jwillis. Unfortunately, even the "when it's done right" and "need to strike a balance" will only, in the end, depend upon the individual observer. (snip...)

No matter what is done...to whatever liberal or conservative extreme...and to whatever level of accomplishment...there will always be those who will find it less than optimal. I have friends and colleagues who were totally unimpressed with Blue Devils 2014. Sadly, I choose not to fight with them. Most often, I just walk away shaking my head, muttering "I give up. I give up."

Totally agree with you. What we enjoy in our entertainment, in music, in visual design, etc. is a real personal thing. Additionally, most people have a idea in their head of what they think drum corps is supposed to be. Drum & Bugle Corps has been changing since day 1. It's morphed over the years and decades.

In the end it's all art. In that respect, this activity hasn't changed at all.

Except for the people who say it's a sport. Maybe it's spart.

Cheese is cheese. Always has been, always will be. Cowtown was the brave one to point out that the emperor has no clothes. And the reactions make for entertaining reading.

• Like 4

Well, it was my initial reaction when voice, electronics, all brass instruments were implemented, to be critical. (Most people do not like change). Some groups have made these things work well and others are getting better. That's a normal learning curve but I must say, these corps especially in the top tier, are so much better design and performance wise than 10 years ago and it's because of these changes. It opens up the possibilities for different ways a stimulating the senses. Mistakes and bumps along the way but it moves the activity forward. Yep, I watch the Cadets move around the field like no other group would dare to and it's astounding. That is EFFECT! I also listen to Bluecoats with their electronic based show and that's EFFECT! Everyone is migrating to their niche and that creates brand and identity. Yeah for us!

I can't help but feel that the Muncie show gave all directors and visual staff members a chance to look at "bare bones" drum and bugle corps. The horns and drums on stage was enough to drive the crowd wild. The comments on DCP from those of us who paid were overwhemlingly positive at a level unseen on these boards for a long time.

My point is that ANYTHING that the visual staff wants to add to what we saw last night should be carefully thought through to evaluate its points worthiness. Do we add electronics, pit instruments, flags, costumes, PROPS, PROPS, PROPS just to fill the field for the minimum time, or do we make each artistic contribution COUNT?

We are two weeks into the season and there are still incomplete shows on the field. People march where some day (hopefully before finals) a prop will be carried for some reason..... Last night, there were NO incomplete shows. Corps adjusted and went on stage and pulled it off.

Some visual people should remember that sometimes "less is more." Not everyone can pull off the 2014 Blue Devils show...... in fact, in my opinion, no one else can. That 99.65 score was achieved because of the bar set by 2nd through 4th and then BD sailed over it.

I love drum corps..... I mostly love that sound. But I also love visual when it's done right. (Honestly, as visual is an art, I have no right to say what is "right," only what I enjoy). And I enjoyed the heck out of Muncie !!!!

Sort of like many fans. I'd say from the easily noticeable mass exodus of fans from many of the local shows before the scores are announced... and in increasing frequency with reach passing year in my observations... speaks volumes that even the majority of national show goers are primarily looking to be mostly entertained, than to hang around to find out which Corps the half panel ( or full panel ) judges that nite thought offered up better " performance quality " among their pecking order Corps peers.

or....for those that do follow the scores, they can beat the traffic and check them online today within minutes of the announcements.

Unfortunately, it is driving many die hard fans away and that's sad. You can't please everyone.

It is sad that people get stuck and are not able to accept newer things, but that is ceratinly their right. First show I ever saw was in 1964, and I've disliked and liked various shows of every era, based on my own personal opinions and viewpoints..

Not sure I'd call them die hard, though, if they leave...probablty hard head fits better. :cool:

Except for the people who say it's a sport. Maybe it's spart.

Cheese is cheese. Always has been, always will be. Cowtown was the brave one to point out that the emperor has no clothes. And the reactions make for entertaining reading.

It's a good thing I went out of my way to make my responses as entertaining as possible!

It is sad that people get stuck and are not able to accept newer things, but that is ceratinly their right. First show I ever saw was in 1964, and I've disliked and liked various shows of every era, based on my own personal opinions and viewpoints..

Not sure I'd call them die hard, though, if they leave...probablty hard head fits better. :cool:

Its sad that some people have this apparent need to criticize the tens of thousands of former fans that have left going to shows ... using perjorative attacking words such as " hard heads " for deciding what to do with their free time. its wonderful that you still enjoy something. But this apparent need to attack others that have left what you personally still find rewarding, is most unfortunate, imo. I like baseball. ... others NBA basketball,for example. I do not refer to those former fans that no longer participate as fans or participants of these sports, as ( your words ) " hard heads ". That would be not be my call, as well as being an uncivil and improper characterization of them, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

Since some people are pulling the "offended" crap out of a hat, I am very offended that Brasso did not mention lawn bowling or lawn darts in his sport analogy.

It is quite clear he is anti lawn bowling and lawn darts.

Edited by Lincoln
  • Like 2