Fake Plastic GE

They do nothing for you. Got it.

Maybe they do it for other folks.

Who's right? That's the fun part about this activity- we all get to have our opinions.

Everything in this thread is an opinion, but making it seem as fact and creating blanket statements and applying it to all corps/shows doesn't really work.

They do nothing for you. Got it.

Maybe they do it for other folks.

Who's right? That's the fun part about this activity- we all get to have our opinions.

Everything in this thread is an opinion, but making it seem as fact and creating blanket statements and applying it to all corps/shows doesn't really work.

Really seems to ignore so much that’s going on in here including the topic and the nature of this chat board.

Thank you for your valuable contribution

• Like 1

Really seems to ignore so much thats going on in here including the topic and the nature of this chat board.

Thank you for your valuable contribution

What was wrong with what he said?

Because it takes his thesis and counters it with a simply "well, that's your opinion - I'm sure others have other opinions; end of discussion". The purpose of the board IS discussion, not just empty dismissals of his point (regardless of whether his point is correct, incorrect, or merely his opinion). If someone wants to counter his thesis, and list the virtues of the types of general effect practices he's mentioned, then THAT would be a worthy response to the thread.

Edited by Eleran
  • Like 1

Because it takes his thesis and counters it with a simply "well, that's your opinion - I'm sure others have other opinions; end of discussion". The purpose of the board IS discussion, not just empty dismissals of his point (regardless of whether his point is correct, incorrect, or merely his opinion). If someone wants to counter his thesis, and list the virtues of the types of general effect practices he's mentioned, then THAT would be a worthy response to the thread.

You're asking me to have a discussion with a poster who is so deep into his own opinion that he hasn't even been discussing in this thread, but continuing to just state why he thinks he is right? Interesting.

Absent citations/references to some factual items or events, EVERYTHING posted here is just someone's opinion. Why respond to anything, if all one is going to do is point out the fact that the original post is just someone posting their opinion?

That poster basically just said "I disagree." While it'd be nice if he explained why, I think it might be a little obvious what the reasoning is (could go along the lines of "I enjoy it regardless). There's nothing wrong with that. Like you said, it's a discussion board. It's a double edged sword. It encourages discussion but at the same time people are free to choose NOT to discuss it.

Edit: in addition, he technically did sort of explain himself. He noted how Cowtown's points were all blanket statements and cannot be applied to every corps.

Edited by Cappybara

"Preformed design"

Forms that form themselves before the design takes place.

Preformed. Got it. I think.

Are you sure?

Some got it and others got funky
Was commenting on current show design and that some effects on the field this year are not very effective due to either over-use, lack of a coherent connection to the show, being poorly preformed or a combination of all three.
These failed effects seem to come at a price to the rest of the show
Perhaps instead of rolling on the field to symbolize the ennui of emotional nihilism corps would be better served rotating a box. Maybe instead of some awkward 8 count chicken dance on the closing cord, it’d be better to stand still and play the note well.
Then I was commenting on decorative props that are not integrated into the show and seem to be there for their own sake, like SCV’s backdrop last year or Cadets back drop this year and many of the tarps, should those really be pulling GE? the staff bought them and just set them up and they do nothing for me...do we pit them against each other for a score cause Cadets is ugly compared to SCVs 2014?
So this old versus new debate while amusing isn’t as amusing as many of the posters championing bland, cookie cutter, nonsensical, poorly preformed design as the 'innovative future' of DCI…it’s sort of the opposite of innovative, its bad

With respect to you and your comments. Unless one is in a position ( especially on this ) to make change it will not happen. I know this for sure BUT that aside I agree sometimes people do things that can make no sense to theme and maybe do things just for the sake of doing it. NOW, good judging should recognize this also and question WHY, Does that happen, I think for the most part yes. Let's get specific to what you mentioned on SCV props last year. Could it be the only purpose was to hide parts of the corps when wanted and or merely provide a mood , feeling , back drop to the theme? If that was the purpose, the only purpose, why is that not enough. You mentioned rolling on the ground to represent some kind of emotion , instead rotate a box, well I ask you in relation to any kind of a theme, sad, happy, love, etc etc what does rotating a box have to do with any of that. Just a thought.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

I think that the problem isn't that people are doing it. The problem is getting credit for doing something (or really not doing anyting) that kinda forces other people to do the same thing to achieve a higher score. This starts with rules and the judging system AND the judges themselves. You want to change what is on the field you have to start there and not vice versa. IMHO there are corps that have entirely too much influence on the judging and access to those judges in off and on season. DCI realy needs more qualified judges that are from outside DCI period. People that can make their own decisions by what is presented and not hand fed or told.

• Like 1