Fake Plastic GE

I've often said the last 15 or so years online that I had a major turning point as a fan when I chose to focus on the stuff I like rather than focus on the stuff I dislike. Once I did that, life as a DCI fan was so much more enjoyable: I not only rekindled my appreciation and enjoyment of the activity, but it reminded me what drew me in as a fan in the first place.

There really is plenty to like and appreciate about the performances and designs: you just have to approach DCI with the right mindset.

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

Some people don't like any music that was written after the Romantic era. Others don't like any music written before the 21st century. Some love country, some hate it. The same with hip-hop, rock, electronic dance, and everything else out there.

There are many different aspects to drum corps. Not everyone is going to like every one of them. Just find what you do like and stick with it.

• Like 1

DCI could speed things up a lot if they just came out with the judges tabulated scores and placements before the shows begin.

I know, some are thinking.... " makes sense, as the judges already have in their heads ( or on pieces of yellow paper ) the nites scores before the Corps take the field that nite " ( haha...stop it, you silly slottistas out there !)

Edited by BRASSO

Radiohead is my favorite band so thank you for this OP

The one problem with your math is, drum corps has lost a lot more fans than it has gained.

I never said they gained just as many as they lost. I used the word "some" on purpose: to keep it vague. You can't completely attribute the loss of fans to DCI changing direction. There are many other factors that come into play.

• Like 1

. You can't completely attribute the loss of fans to DCI changing direction. There are many other factors that come into play.

Such as ?

I never said they gained just as many as they lost. I used the word "some" on purpose: to keep it vague. You can't completely attribute the loss of fans to DCI changing direction. There are many other factors that come into play.

dont go there its been beat to death...lol and everyone knows all the things that changed drum corps over the years just like it changed the world in 40 plus years...lol

Such as ?

Many less corps, change in USA culture, and rise of technology (marching band becomes a lot more niche than it already was).

• Like 1

I honestly agree with a lot of what Cowtown says. But I do think that corps are doing certain things these days that many people find "offensive" (shall I say?) because they're trying to keep the activity fresh, in my opinion.

Everyone here knows I'm a die-hard Cadets fan. While there are many shows they have done in the past decade with which I don't agree, I appreciate that they're trying to do something different, even though it may come across as cheesy. Personally, I would love to see Cadets the way they were when I was growing up. Many of my friends and I had always dreamed of marching Cadets because of the things they were doing on the field. I know I was obsessed with them (some may say I'm still obsessed with them). But I have realized this is not my corps anymore and I can't get angry because times are always changing and they're most likely trying to draw in new crowds. Unfortunately, it is driving many die hard fans away and that's sad. You can't please everyone.

• Like 4

Such as ?

Let's see..

The Internet.

Video games.

Decline in music education funding, and in some cases the removal of programs.

I have trumpet students that have to choose between AP courses and band.

The growth of extracurricular activities: robotics, computer science, class guitar. ( actual classes that take bodies away from bands)

Off the question, I was told in 1993 to not bother to march as the activity was going to fold by 1995. Everybody played Holsinger or some boring wind-literature; nobody wants to see that.

• Like 3

"First we zigged, then everybody zigged..."

It was true 25 years ago, it's still true today. A top corps will do something very effective that works really well in their show. A whole bunch of other designers think they could get points by doing a similar thing, and in many cases it doesn't work well in their show. Sometimes these things grow into a fad that everybody thinks they have to do to tick a box. It's hard to believe that any audience member does more than yawn when

- it's a big hit and they crank the keyboard bass to 11

- it's a percussion feature, and the line does some faux-aggressive body movements and weird head movements

- it's time for the brass to stand still and play a bunch of 16th note runs that have zero relationship to the rest of their music

- it's the ballad, so the whole corps has to strike odd poses and lay on the ground

If you're a fan for even a couple of years, you literally have seen these effects dozens or perhaps hundreds of times. I guess they must still come up in critique or something. "Sure, your horns played 50,000 notes in 12 keys with perfect intonation and beautiful tone while running at 220bpm, in a stunning performance of some of the best music in the wind ensemble literature. But you didn't stand still and play some fast major scales, so I can't give you that rep number..."

Someone you've got to be bold enough to "Zag"

• Like 1