The Rise of Pseudointellectuals on DCP

No it didn't. This is the internet. People go on the internet to complain. Have you been on facebook lately?

My facebook is people largely posting about how awesome their children are, posting videos of cats, and ridiculous news articles that are obviously inaccurate.

Maybe you need more positive friends.

Please don't take this as a personal attack. Nor should anyone take this as me trying to stifle discussion. I encourage people to share their views, no matter how much hate they get for it. I do the same. I'm just so sick and tired of seeing these PI posts and I want a real explanation of WHY it actually matters. And I want to know just how many of the audience is even going to pick up on these details.

Would you consider this post by Cowtow a personal attack? http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/162482-michigan-city-match-627/page-25

My facebook is people largely posting about how awesome their children are, posting videos of cats, and ridiculous news articles that are obviously inaccurate.

Maybe you need more positive friends.

That's certainly a possibility, but I do love the postings of videos of cats. Cats are Weirdtastic.

• Like 2

Meh, grow some thicker skin it's the internet.

• Like 1

The internet gives people a power they didn't use to have... The power to make their complaints known every day to hundreds, thousands, millions of people!

But its just business as usual. Overall i think thar the complaints this season have been limited. Maybe because its been mostly confined to a couple threads instead of the biweekly (as in twice a week not every other week) thread complaining about electronics or narration or what have you.

Anyway, in most activities people complain about the current state of affairs and instead boast about their day. Hell, people bring this up when talking about politics and religion as well as other sports. Its just sortof what people do. I'm as ardent of a defender of DCI today as a "dino" is of their day. Is anyone really "right" though? Certainly there are some specific issues that there can be right or wrong that some are just very stubborn to concede. But overall, if you prefer the sound of drum corps in the 70s,you probably aren't going to be convinced that the quality is better today. If you are a fan of non marching body movements, you probably aren't going to look back and feel very moved by DCI back in the day with rather rigid formations and marching. If you are a pit player today, you probably aren't a fan of the marching pit of yesteryear. If you weren't a fan of microphones when they were first introduced, you probably are still not a fan today and don't like electronics either. If you are a traditionalist about uniforms, you might not be a fan of how most corps change uniforms every year, and not only colors but also the style of the uniforms.

And people will do what they can to defend what they perceive to be better. When really its just a different era with different expectations and rules. The designers have the same job, to work within the confines of the rules to create excellent shows. The marchers perform what they are told to perform to the best of their ability, and learn valuable life lessons along the way.

And hey, at least i haven't heard about booing after performances like in the last few years!

• Like 1

Why would I consider that a personal attack? He was just commenting on mostly the execution aspects of Boston's performance.

Edited by Cappybara

Meh, grow some thicker skin it's the internet.

The point of this topic wasn't necessarily to complain (that was part of the process though). The main point was to get answers to the questions I asked.

(let's make a rotating cube instead of doing the chicken dance!)

that's me

My question is this: what is the point? Yes, I do think all of your ideas have merit. Especially the complaints about body movement. But at the same time, how does it REALLY make a difference?

yes, they have merit and why 'Especially the complaints about body movement'?

One of my main contentions is that other areas of performance are suffering due to time spent teaching another skill that they can’t master. It takes a lot of time to learn how do dance even more time to clean an ensemble on a dance move and that comes at the expense of other performance areas and I see it. It gets sillier when it doesn’t even fit or breaks the flow or stops the GE stacking

All these PI's will complain about "lazy design," but who really cares?

I care, isn’t that enough? So are the judges complaining with their critique, am I not allowed an opinion too? Don’t we praise BD for detailed show design, so others should get a pass?

Please don't take this as a personal attack.

Oh, you meant pseudointellectual in a good way

Not that I care, it’s mainly aesthetic

Nor should anyone take this as me trying to stifle discussion. I encourage people to share their views, no matter how much hate they get for it. I do the same. I'm just so sick and tired of seeing these PI posts and I want a real explanation of WHY it actually matters. And I want to know just how many of the audience is even going to pick up on these details.

Then why have the details at all, why waste the time?

Many of these ‘innovative’ GE moments are becoming compulsories and that are far more limiting and stifling to innovation that anything. What if a corps doesn’t want to do body movement will they take a hit on the score? I say yes, corps are now forced to do body movement even though it’s not on the sheet . That’s not innovation, that is the push for conformity.

• Like 1