Cadets and Innovation

So, it's now 5 days into this thread. Have The Cadets innovated yet?

-Mike

No. They will wait till day " 10 ", then unleash an other worldly innovation that will be felt all the way from Silicon Valley to M.I.T.

Edited by BRASSO

The Cadets need to update their uniform. The look is too restrictive for the current design trends. I'm not talking a wholesale revamp, but it definitely needs to be modernized.

Following the pack is the opposite of innovation.

it’s fine if you want them to be more like Crown or Blue Devils but I prefer variety. The way it’s headed, marching a traditional yet challenging drill will be innovative as everything old is new again and not many are even attempting it

• Like 2

Following the pack is the opposite of innovation.

it’s fine if you want them to be more like Crown or Blue Devils but I prefer variety. The way it’s headed, marching a traditional yet challenging drill will be innovative as everything old is new again and not many are even attempting it

Agreed. However, I'm not sure how keeping the same look for close to 80 years is breaking down barriers either. And sure, marching a traditional show may be different than what most others are doing right now, but it's not by definition, innovative.

But that's admittedly splitting hairs to a degree.

Look... all I'm wanting is to see the Cadets be the ones to take the activity in a new direction. I'm not particular in how they do it.

Agreed. However, I'm not sure how keeping the same look for close to 80 years is breaking down barriers either. And sure, marching a traditional show may be different than what most others are doing right now, but it's not by definition, innovative.

Look... all I'm wanting is to see the Cadets be the ones to take the activity in a new direction. I'm not particular in how they do it.

How much of the desire for innovation is but motivated by ................................................boredom? Or the inability to nuance to a deeper understanding?

In other words, novelty in an era of Adult Deficit Syndrome as a pandemic? (I deliberately did not use the word Disorder so as to not be judgmental of the person, just splitting the concept.)

How much of the desire for innovation is but motivated by ................................................boredom? Or the inability to nuance to a deeper understanding?

In other words, novelty in an era of Adult Deficit Syndrome as a pandemic? (I deliberately did not use the word Disorder so as to not be judgmental of the person, just splitting the concept.)

I don't know if I'd use the same terminology, but I thought about this, too -- we're used to more going on on the field the last 5 years or so (maybe 10 if you stretch back to The Zone), and when there isn't it seems incomplete or not totally satisfying to the senses. The same must have been true when Cadets and Cavies were doing very interesting things with drill in the mid-80s and other corps were slow to follow.

Yes, we have had development in the activity Visually but not really drill wise.

Cadets, in fact, have been highly criticized when they have attempted Visual adaptions beyond drill (radio stageset, Barber Towers, Presidential platform, etc., and for some, even The Door.)

In the activity as a whole, there is little drill development this season. Cadets, SCV, Bluecoats have wonderfully flowing drill shows.But I can't think of any corps doing amazing moves that are new or unique, save for Crown reversing the directions of moves they have previously done.

It's a great music season across the board. Drill wise (as distinct from Visual in toto) not so much.

As I alluded to about 70 posts ago:

"Isn't the issue really one of stagnation in the activity in general, and maybe Cadets are guilty of it as much as any. Isn't it all a little boring now? Scripted, again? Compulsory body movement and "transitions" to be "in the game" with those at the top. Pre-show, opener, ballad, compulsory triple-tonging and bug-squashing, WGI-ish tarps to fill in creativity voids to attain GE.

I'd bet pretty confidently that it's felt up and down the ranks of corps directors, too. Is there more to all of this stuff that's actually better at selling tickets to fund corps to do shows where we sell tickets to fund corps..."

• Like 1

What Garfield said to some degree, sure.

But again, over the past couple of years, I feel Cadets have been trying to adapt to the rules of a game that other corps have defined. And that is always the nature of how this activity has evolved over the decades.

I simply want to see them making the rules again. That's all.

• Like 1

Who's really innovative this year? Probably Bluecoats doing their electronic modern thing.