Pete Weber

I absolutely love his stuff year in year out. I'd describe as being incredibly organic. 2006 - 2010 ESPECIALLY, 2009 and 2010. I remember Michael Cesario saying is like watching the music, some of the most musical drill ever written. Just gorgeous. He's written a helluva program again this year. 2006 and 2008 are probably my two favorites behind 2010, agree with what was said earlier about them being very Gaines Cavaliers like. One of my favorite writers, take inspiration from him as someone who is trying to get into the drill writing scene. 2010 is one of my favorite drill books, organic in every sense of the word. Some REALLY cool sequences in there. Like this one:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFlQHCU45Jk[/

Hard to clean however.[/q

Thanks for the clip! My son marched that show and it has always been a favorite for me. 2010 and 2011 had some of my favorite music ever used in a drum corps show! Drill, as well.

Edited by POSITIVenrgy

Pete Weber is one of the best drill writers currently in the activity. He's very creative with his drill in a sea of functional and frankly boring drill ideas coming from some other places.... I do not care if the drill he writes is not 100% clean by someone else's standards, nor do I care if they use tight intervals. They move well and make lots of pretty pictures that flow well from one form to another. The transitions are interesting and add to the show. I think he one of the best around. What he's doing may not be the design choice du jour, but it is incredible, difficult, and fulfills my drill desires more than any other corps has recently done since the departure of Gaines. Cadets come close, and Crown had some fantastic drill last year too. I also seem to be enjoying whoever writes for Blue Knights.... Weber is a special designer though and I find some of these criticism amusing in that it shows what we each want and look for visually, and what the current trends in the activity are in this staging and multi effect/multi skill showing criteria based show design world... Let's hope that made sense...

My take is this... If you like excellent drill, you'll like Weber. If drill is secondary, then you'll criticize and minimize the wonder of his work... It's certainly not the same approach that Murphy/Chandler use and score well under. To me this is more of the group based designed that I opined about months ago versus the individual centric designs in WGI and from the staging camp that is currently all the rage...

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 8

You can add me to the list that likes Weber's work. Just looking at drill, I find he usually writes movement that is very sympathetic to the music, and comes up with at least one haven't-seen-that-before moment each year.

His drill does seem to be really hard to clean, so I suppose that's a fair strike against him. But as an audience member, I'll take "interesting but not perfect" over "perfectly predictable.

• Like 6

I've been a fan of Weber's work too...a true artist with design and flow. He wrote Madison's 2005 drill and I thought

it was by far the best Madison drill in modern times. I'm sad we let him go after only that year and it was definitely

Santa Clara's gain, as time has proven!

• Like 1

I've been a fan of Weber's work too...a true artist with design and flow. He wrote Madison's 2005 drill and I thought

it was by far the best Madison drill in modern times. I'm sad we let him go after only that year and it was definitely

Santa Clara's gain, as time has proven!

That makes sense, I had always wondered who wrote that show. Absolutely love the drill in it.

He's also started writing for the Mandarins this year, and I believe he wrote the drill for Glassmen for their last few years. Pete does amazingly organic and beautiful drill, and always fits the music very well. His work in 2009 and 2010 for SCV was some of the most melodic drill I've ever seen on the field.

• Like 2