San Antonio Lineup

A factor not yet mentioned in the thread is audience awareness and response.

So often at the largest shows, those who appear earlier in the line-up are greeted by a smaller audience, a scattered audience, and sometimes an audience still awaking to the day or the contest.

Since the contests have now been assigned performance pods based on previous performance rankings, those that appear later usually have a fuller audience, a complete audience, and an assemblage of fans more engaged in the contest, thus more applause and response. They've had their coffee and are awake. The performers seem to dialogue with that response and up their performance energies as well.

Lower ranked corps who benefit from a later performance (home team, luck of the draw, bus breakdown or traffic giving them a later performance) seem to benefit from this engagement. It's not a conspiracy but the realities of human life. Some people take a while to awake or "get into it.".

• Like 3

Agreed... I was trying to say this earlier on, but u put it much better! I think that it engages the audience to more corps and provides a better stage for the performer! Great points

could be a terrible spot. much more visual movement with on before them .

Yea, I definitely agree. I think one of the greatest things about most DCI shows is that the shows get better as the night progresses. Troopers will be a significant step down.

Performance. Order. Matters....( you said)

While many here remember the placements of last year's top 12, my guess, nobody could tell you, or anybody else, what the exact performance order was for last season's San Antonio regional. They'd all have to look it up. Performance order for San Antonio will have as much bearing in the finals placements as does Spring Training standings in the Grapefruit League this Spring will have come the MLB playoffs later this season. Also, Drum Corps Recruiting is based on who's on staff, not who goes on when and at what time, in San Antonio in mid July

I disagree with this mess up post that turned into one quote. SA performance order no matter what. Say you get screwed 1 point because of said order (Madison 2 and a half hours before troopers). The seeding causes this and you could have been after a group in Atlanta but because of SA you are before. Now what if same corps has Friday night Allentown while everyone else around them has Saturday. They get an extra day and a higher score. 2/3 of the shows that determine performance order you have had a disadvantage compared to others. Every tenth matters when avging for prelims.

I disagree with this mess up post that turned into one quote. SA performance order no matter what. Say you get screwed 1 point because of said order (Madison 2 and a half hours before troopers). The seeding causes this and you could have been after a group in Atlanta but because of SA you are before. Now what if same corps has Friday night Allentown while everyone else around them has Saturday. They get an extra day and a higher score. 2/3 of the shows that determine performance order you have had a disadvantage compared to others. Every tenth matters when avging for prelims.

I understand your frustration. What is even more frustrating is the knowledge that these draws were based on scores and placements from earlier competition shows. Shows where there was no guard judge... or no brass judge... or no percussion judge.

Talk about " this mess ". What kind of a " mess " of a system judges a Drum & Bugle Corps competition without a Drum Judge ? or a Brass Judge ? or a Guard judge ? Thats pretty silly when really you think about it, no ? . I mean, seriously..., how messed up is that ? ( haha! ) And then we wonder later why the show performance schedules look so bizarre later at a Regional ? Well, what the H ( haha! )

Edited by BRASSO

I understand your frustration. What is even more frustrating is the knowledge that these draws were based on scores and placements from earlier competition shows. Shows where there was no guard judge... or no brass judge... or no percussion judge.

Talk about " this mess ". What kind of a " mess " of a system judges a Drum & Bugle Corps competition without a Drum Judge ? or a Brass Judge ? or a Guard judge ? Thats pretty silly when really you think about it, no ? . I mean, seriously, how messed up is that. ( haha! )

I thought this was effect and visual corps. My bad I'm on the wrong forums!

I have to say I have enjoyed this thread more than any other I've read in years. I've spent years watching Troop get bad draw after bad draw after bad draw at regional competitions. This always results in shorter practice time for a drum corps that is trying to move up in the standings. Now everybody is all wound up about how long Troop goes on after Scouts. I admit that I'm very excited to know that there is potentially 2.5 more hours available to polish their show compared to Scouts. I sure hope they are able to capitalize on that opportunity.

The thing that drives me nuts is that so many fans on here act like it is some crime that they are suddenly going to be stuck with less rehearsal time (for one day), as if their beloved corps has a devine right to get more practice time than corps who have been struggling with that disadvantage for several years.

For all those who have their undies in a bunch over the performance order, I say "Grow up & stop expecting the world to give your favorite corps special treatment." Remember, everybody knew the method for determining performance order. If your corps didn't place high enough, maybe they should have worked harder through the first part of the season.

Troop has been working hard to methodically increase their competitive level for several years. And it's quite funny to watch some of you freak out at the idea that maybe Troop could finally be good enough to move past some traditional finalist corps. Just looks like sour grapes to me. And I'm loving every second of it. :smile:

Edited by BeerMan
  • Like 3

I have to say I have enjoyed this thread more than any other I've read in years. I've spent years watching Troop get bad draw after bad draw after bad draw at regional competitions. This always results in shorter practice time for a drum corps that is trying to move up in the standings. Now everybody is all wound up about how long Troop goes on after Scouts. I admit that I'm very excited to know that there is potentially 2.5 more hours available to polish their show compared to Scouts. I sure hope they are able to capitalize on that opportunity.

The thing that drives me nuts is that so many fans on here act like it is some crime that they are suddenly going to be stuck with less rehearsal time (for one day), as if their beloved corps has a devine right to get more practice time than corps who have been struggling with that disadvantage for several years.

For all those who have their undies in a bunch over the performance order, I say "Grow up & stop expecting the world to give your favorite corps special treatment." Remember, everybody knew the method for determining performance order. If your corps didn't place high enough, maybe they should have worked harder through the first part of the season.

Troop has been working hard to methodically increase their competitive level for several years. And it's quite funny to watch some of you freak out at the idea that maybe Troop could finally be good enough to move past some traditional finalist corps. Just looks like sour grapes to me. And I'm loving every second of it. :smile:

Nail on the head right there. Same goes for Academy, Colts, Blue Knights, and I'd even say Oregon Crusaders(Placement wise) as well! Maybe everything will even out back to what it "should be" but its gonna be a fun night and everyone should be excited!

• Like 1

Nail on the head right there. Same goes for Academy, Colts, Blue Knights, and I'd even say Oregon Crusaders(Placement wise) as well! Maybe everything will even out back to what it "should be" but its gonna be a fun night and everyone should be excited!

After the recap of last night, I'm not so sure judges won't write themselves into a corner with scores. Lots of ties because of performance order, so here's hoping the numbers are truly reflective and not guesses while leaving gaps!