Cavies/Scouts-Time for a change?

Let me start by saying, I have the greatest respect for tradition in terms of all-male and all-female corps. I understand their historical foundations and have nothing but the utmost reverence for what they have done for the activity.

With that being said, I am wondering if the Cavies and Scouts might be missing out on a whole talent pool of females that could make great contributions to all sections of the corps'. I would imagine having additional members to recruit from would increase the overall caliber of performers that would be vying for a spot (not to take anything away from the Scouts and Cavies now, they are absolutely phenomenal).

Just wondering what my fellow DCPers may think, thanks!

This seems to come up a lot now.

To answer your question, perhaps, but I think it's impossible to quantify what they're missing out on. The big question is whether the larger talent pool is worth the loss of tradition. In my humble opinion, I don't think the larger pool is worth it. The Cavies did just fine in the 2000's with an all male corps. They then went on the lose some crucial staff and that is the sole reason for their scores going downhill.

• Like 2

I do see what you are saying. I love tradition too and it's up to them whether to keep it or change it. Remember Phantom went back to all-female guard a few years ago. It's a hard issue to tackle because there is so much history with the two all male corps. I would respect them it they did as well as if they said no.

This seems to come up a lot now.

To answer your question, perhaps, but I think it's impossible to quantify what they're missing out on. The big question is whether the larger talent pool is worth the loss of tradition. In my humble opinion, I don't think the larger pool is worth it. The Cavies did just fine in the 2000's with an all male corps. They then went on the lose some crucial staff and that is the sole reason for their scores going downhill.

Cabbybara,

That was a point I was thinking about as well. The variable of staff, show concept, etc. certainly plays into it. And since we can't look at performers as quantifiable data points (at least, no one has yet:)), you're right, we don't really know if they are missing out on anything (if at all).

• Like 1

First of all, I think the Cavaliers have been on the up-and-up the last 2 years. I loved their show last year, and I love this year's. Whether or not they have women is more a gender issue. Yes, they could find tons of amazing and talented ladies who would love to march the Cavaliers. They can also find tons of guys who are talented and who wish to march. I don't think sacrificing some of one for the other makes them any more talented. Now, if the argument is that it makes them more diverse and that visually they would have more possibilities with show design, especially with guard, then sure, I can buy that.

But changing the Cavaliers or Scouts to male/female groups is not a decision for staff, or even for the director. Ultimately the board of directors would have final say on that. My guess is the answer would be a BIG NO!

Personally, I like the all male corps. For me, its about the raw power they project during the show Kinda like watching a male gymnast or figure skater. Something to be said about that.

• Like 2

Cabbybara,

That was a point I was thinking about as well. The variable of staff, show concept, etc. certainly plays into it. And since we can't look at performers as quantifiable data points (at least, no one has yet:)), you're right, we don't really know if they are missing out on anything (if at all).

Isn't their old director now the director of SCV?

First of all, I think the Cavaliers have been on the up-and-up the last 2 years. I loved their show last year, and I love this year's. Whether or not they have women is more a gender issue. Yes, they could find tons of amazing and talented ladies who would love to march the Cavaliers. They can also find tons of guys who are talented and who wish to march. I don't think sacrificing some of one for the other makes them any more talented. Now, if the argument is that it makes them more diverse and that visually they would have more possibilities with show design, especially with guard, then sure, I can buy that.

But changing the Cavaliers or Scouts to male/female groups is not a decision for staff, or even for the director. Ultimately the board of directors would have final say on that. My guess is the answer would be a BIG NO!

Show design is certainly one area that could be highly impacted. I was just thinking of the recent use of the cardboard cutouts. While I think it's clever, there is something to be said about the artistic nuance of having male and female dancers in the show to convey feeling, emotion, etc. Conversely, the carboard cutouts are brilliant in that the corps is working with "what they got."