Injuries midseason and how corps deal with them

You mean to tell me they have 10 alternates on tour for the hornline? Wow... I could understand hanging around if I was one of three or so... but at that point, it seems better to just get the experience somewhere else.

Having alternates in nothing new...I just spoke this morning with a friend of mine who marched with Cavies in 1989...he was a trumpet alternate and he told me he was also a big part of their field crew...I asked if he marched finals and he said no...but still loved the experience...he's a high school teacher now...

• Like 1

Back in the day I attempted to march with a ruptured disc in my back causing nerve damage and muscle atrophy, and I was able to bluff my way onto the field without anyone trying to stop me. Finally I couldn't take it anymore and took myself out. 27 years later I have lingering problems in my back and my right calf is visibly smaller than my left.

I doubt that would happen today, as hopefully someone would intervene to stop a kid from pushing beyond what was medically advisable.

Wow...that is incredible will power to endure the pain...I had 6 stitches on the bottom of my foot from glass...and marched with that...blood oozing everywhere...in finals week...lol

Is being trumpet alternate number 2 or 3 worth when you could be PERFORMING in another corps in need of members? Is it worth it being drug along at camps for the top corps while they suck your money out just to be cut a month or so before tour.. then you don't have the money... or will power to go audition somewhere else?

Sorry at risk for going off topic...

I do know that most corps if not all world class have some type of medical staff or physical trainer on tour for most if not all of tour. This activity is not easy on even the most in shape body. The weight room is not gonna help you build all the right muscles for this activity. Being in good physical shape is a huge plus... but I've seem some very in shape people go off the field with a pulled groin, messed up knee or ankle. Low brass players with messed up backs... hell I've seen people hurt themselves pushing themselves in breathing exercises. Having someone with medical and first aid knowledge is a must. And knowing when to rest or when to stay out on the field is not often a decision that should be left with the MM or the instructional staff who most really have no clue how serious something might be. It is tough to tell which pain is just from tired muscles, and which is an actual injury. Someone with more know how needs to be around to help differentiate.

If corps do not have someone like this on tour.. they are putting their members at unnecessary risk.

All that said... injuries do happen. And alternates are great to have. Even the bottom groups prefer to have a few people ready to jump in if possible. And even the top corps run into spots where they have to put out calls midseason to fill a hole. Drum corps is very athletic... and very tough on bodies. Injuries are bound to happen. It is a corps admin and staff job to work together to minimize the possibility of injuries. And having someone with the proper training and background on tour guiding the corps is the best way to go.

While alternates may have crew duties at performances, they do get to play for encores and parades. I've heard most make it into the show at some point during the season.

Alternates are a money maker for the corps. There's the secret of the day.

• Like 1

While alternates may have crew duties at performances, they do get to play for encores and parades. I've heard most make it into the show at some point during the season.

This may be the case at Crown, but not every corps gives their alternates these performance opportunities. Some corps don't even consider alternates to have really been a member of the corps unless they were inserted into the show. Some people might agree with this standpoint but I don't.

Edited by Beckham

Is being trumpet alternate number 2 or 3 worth when you could be PERFORMING in another corps in need of members? Is it worth it being drug along at camps for the top corps while they suck your money out just to be cut a month or so before tour.. then you don't have the money... or will power to go audition somewhere else?

Sorry at risk for going off topic...

I do know that most corps if not all world class have some type of medical staff or physical trainer on tour for most if not all of tour. This activity is not easy on even the most in shape body. The weight room is not gonna help you build all the right muscles for this activity. Being in good physical shape is a huge plus... but I've seem some very in shape people go off the field with a pulled groin, messed up knee or ankle. Low brass players with messed up backs... hell I've seen people hurt themselves pushing themselves in breathing exercises. Having someone with medical and first aid knowledge is a must. And knowing when to rest or when to stay out on the field is not often a decision that should be left with the MM or the instructional staff who most really have no clue how serious something might be. It is tough to tell which pain is just from tired muscles, and which is an actual injury. Someone with more know how needs to be around to help differentiate.

If corps do not have someone like this on tour.. they are putting their members at unnecessary risk.

All that said... injuries do happen. And alternates are great to have. Even the bottom groups prefer to have a few people ready to jump in if possible. And even the top corps run into spots where they have to put out calls midseason to fill a hole. Drum corps is very athletic... and very tough on bodies. Injuries are bound to happen. It is a corps admin and staff job to work together to minimize the possibility of injuries. And having someone with the proper training and background on tour guiding the corps is the best way to go.

...with a little bit of hesitancy of going off topic here as well...and with your post in mind....and the other thread that was about...

"With brain injuries from contact sports on the rise, an increasing number of student athletes are applying their talents to drum and bugle corps, which offers low-risk activities that are more challenging — physically, mentally and creatively."

...this whole thing makes me wonder is drum corps really a "low-risk' activity? ...I tend to say yes....but I think it can be a debatable point in the other direction as well...