A Pseudo-intellectual on the K-Pop break

Wait, so the only way I'm "qualified" to open my trap about a drum corps show is if I pass your CV requirements? What if I come to drum corps shows to just enjoy musical performance on sultry high school football field? Do I have to have an art Phd to be qualified to comment on the show's quality?

In order to opine on drum corps design, you have to misspell "palette", believe that corps are "401c3" organizations, mock everyone else for not being polymaths, and ignore any post that indicates someone knows more about a given subject than you do.

• Like 7

Wait, so the only way I'm "qualified" to open my trap about a drum corps show is if I pass your CV requirements? What if I come to drum corps shows to just enjoy musical performance on sultry high school football field? Do I have to have an art Phd to be qualified to comment on the show's quality?

Oh, you wretched, wretched Neanderthal, you. :bleah:

I prefer the term "mouth breather" myself..... personally I watch shows to be entertained and if there is a message... meh...

Still remember Peter Schickele on the Today Show some years back. At the end of the show Carson said "And Prof Schickele DID go to Julliard". Camera switched to the Prof with his mouth hanging open who then said "Uh... yuh". Carson was laughing so hard he couldn't plug Michael J Fox (the other guest) next movie. Fox looked POed.... :silly:

Seriously do we want DC to get to the point where you have to have a very high understanding of music, visuals, etc, etc, whatever to be enjoyed. #### and people wonder why the audience size has dropped over the decades.

Or to put it into my career.... you need to have a IT degree before you are allowed to use a PC.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

Look at the anger and frustration in this post, above. Marching members aren't taught how to analyze design. They're taught only to execute. Think about it. Drum corps is not a creative art form for the participants, only for the designers.

It's' true. We never ask marching members to create or question design, only to perform as instructed. As a result, you see comments like this where marching members are absolutely mystified and threatened when it comes to the very most basic design analysis. They call design analysis an "intellectual" pursuit. Doesn't have to be. Design analysis is not that hard, but to someone who has been taught only to execute, and not to question the artistic intent behind the music or show design, and taught that cleanliness is their only focus, then of course they have no ability to analyze what they're performing.

Sadly, most marching members are literally executing a performance art piece and they have no idea why. No idea what the meaning behind the show is. This is antithetical to the nature of the art of performance. For example, a pop composer has a creative impulse, writes lyrics and music to support that idea, and a song is born. He owns it. But in drum corps, someone else creates music with meaning, and marching members robotically execute it, and sometimes don't even understand it. That's just bizarre.

Marching members are watching other corps' performances and have no idea what they're watching, and get frustrated at the idea of having to research the artistic impulse behind a design element.

Sister Wendy, that crazy nun, walks around interpreting famous paintings. In her eyes, each element reveals a specific intent by the painter. She gives credence to the idea that the artist has a specific intent and his choices are conscious and meaningful. Drum corps design is the same way. For the most part, design decisions support the meaning behind the music, and each element reveals a specific intent by the designer.

I'm always shocked when drum corps participants think that show design elements are random or not worth researching. It's like, have you ever written anything? Have you ever composed music? Have you ever written or produced a film or a play? Created a collage? Selected a color pallete? Taken a class in art appreciation? And the answer is, of course not. (Now someone with a binary thought process, likely a drummer or musician will chime in here that not 100 percent of design decisions are objective, representational or conscious choices. Yay, congratulations. But most design choices are conscious creative choices, or at least influenced subconsciously by the theme. Create a drum corps show with completely randomly designed elements and I'll show you a corps in 43rd place.)

Drum corps attracts people who are essentially robots who execute, not creative thinkers. Drum corp attracts people who blindly execute music and drill. Drum corps draws people who get headaches when presented with design analysis.

Look at this message board. Very few here understand depth of concept, which is on the score sheet. Cadets created a frivolous show last year with absolutely no depth of concept, and binary thinkers on here couldn't understand why it didn't win despite its masterful execution. Most of the discussion on here is how ZYZ corps needs to really "execute" a lot better. Or how so and so's score will be a lot better once they "execute" XYZ better. And then people are mystified when their show doesn't score better than another closely scoring show with a stronger depth of concept. It's so laughable. There's little or no attention paid to why the music was selected, why the kids are performing this choice of music, and how the choreography, drill sets or choice of music supports a theme and how that impacts the score in a big way. Because that analysis requires critical thinking. That requires a creative mind. That requires the marching members to ask the show designers why they chose the elements they did. But that's regarded as insubordination.

A note to marching members, if you really want to select a corps with a winning show design, and if you really want to score well on your depth of concept, rise up! Ask the hard questions! Ask about your show concept! Ask about your depth of concept!

1) What's the meaning behind this music?

2) Who chose this music and why?

3) How do the drill sets, action and choreography support the theme?

4) Is the selected theme something you subscribe to? Something you agree with? Something with depth, humor, drama and humanity?

5) Did the person choosing the music consider you when they chose it?

6) Was this music selected simply because there's no royalty due?

7) Do the designers represent your vision?

8) Do your designers avoid discussion about why a piece of music was selected? Or give frivolous responses to questions about the meaning behind the music like "color" or "tempo or "volume"?

9) Do your designers talk more about color palette and frivolous associations that the music has, rather than on its social context, the intent of the composer or its historical context or its application to your theme? If so, it's a big red warning flag. And not a cool flag with another flag rolled up underneath it.

Again, this intellectual crap is why I can barely stand drum corps now. If they MM's are just robots following orders, why the hell should anyone march!?!?!?!? If the show is so #### high-minded that the PERFORMERS CAN'T GRASP IT, it's time for the designers to take a hike.

Sadly, most marching members are literally executing a performance art piece and they have no idea why. No idea what the meaning behind the show is.

You clearly have not spent much time around any top corps recently. I live near two and see the opposite of what you are saying. The members not only understand but are at time parts of the creative process.

You clearly have not spent much time around any top corps recently. I live near two and see the opposite of what you are saying. The members not only understand but are at time parts of the creative process.

There are some corps whose creative and educational approaches Channel3 approves of. Possibly they include those near you.

Again, this intellectual crap is why I can barely stand drum corps now. If they MM's are just robots following orders, why the hell should anyone march!?!?!?!? If the show is so #### high-minded that the PERFORMERS CAN'T GRASP IT, it's time for the designers to take a hike.

Aren't you and Channel3 saying more or less the same thing? He wants the performers to be more than "robots following orders", and so do you.