Hypothetical Cadets Uniform Question

Have judges ever told the Cadets "you'd be scoring higher were it not for your uniform"? To me, that's the only reason to make a change after 80 years. They're in first right now - will the uniform change help keep them there?

Also, this uniform rumor (which is also spreading through the corps) seems similar to Hopkins's history of adding a bunch (perhaps too much) stuff at the end of the season. I hope this isn't an overreaction to "we need to do something more."

What I understand from Hop's disclosure of the progression of the show design is it has always been the plan from the beginning to transform the color palette of this show. That plan seems to be working and it looks like, for a change, the judging community understands it as well. I'm not freaking out about the possible uniform change or oppose it because I did not march Cadets. I certainly don't understand it as the maroon and gold going away forever. If we look at the uniform change as part of the design planning and it works then I say good for the vision of George and his design team. This show is already incredibly good and maybe their best in many years. There just isn't room to throw any cheese in it. Have you seen the latest changes? Wow!! The Z-pull is back for crying out loud! It's as simple as this; if the uniform change does come we are either going to like it or not. I can't see it bombing at this point. Full speed ahead Cadets, I'll be pulling for you as you make your way to Indy.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Edited by Fan of the Arts

So DCP is the home of calm, rational and reasonable discussions about DCI? Who knew?

Got a link to some of the harsher commentary?

the true borg only have a few drones here on DCP. they mostly stay in the delta quadrant. but believe me the collective is buzzing at an incredibly hgh level right now.

Except that was originally for a Rachmaninoff show (95), and it lasted for 5 years

"Except?" I neither implied Regiment debuted their all black uniform in '96 or that they wore black for only one year.

Bumping this as a reply on the Cadets main thread. The below post has the copy of the FB post by Hop stating the 2 options for the new uniforms.

Here, I got on a real computer so I could copy and paste the entire post, there's a lot of stuff in there. Fro George Hopkins on Facebook:

Edited by drummergirl

So there are rumors flying about this, and so far, no official word. This is still very much in the hypothetical stage, so please respond with that in mind.

If the Cadets were to change to an all-black corps proper uniform (to go along with all these other cosmetic changes of different colored guard uniforms, front and back panels, show silks, and field tarps), would you be agreeable to that or not, and why?

One added question if you are a Cadets alum who might be totally against this kind of change because of the traditional aspect of the "maroon and gold," does it create a paradox for you when the corps preaches expanding boundaries, seeking to be innovative and always at the forefront of change, etc, but then creates an automatic and unbreachable restriction when it comes to making any sort of wholesale changes to the corps uniform? (And let's face it, a change like this would be THE most radical departure from the Cadets appearance that we've ever seen.)

IMO DCI corps in general will...and should...move to more of a costuming type of 'uniform' that fits into the show theme.

So along that concept, if the Cadets choose to do something like that....more power to them.

Until that time...this alum (70-72) will continue to enjoy the current version of the uniform that I wore (mine came from around 1960 or 61, actually).

• Like 1