What makes a show "BOA style" or "bando"?

Madison Scouts certainly thought their show was about 9/11.

Their performance of "Empire State of Mind" isn't on the DVD because State Farm had the same idea as them: this would be a good song to commemorate 9/11.

Scouts' drill starts with the guard reading newspapers with Sep. 11, 2011 headlines in the morning, then features drill that suggests collapsing buildings and chaos, with sirens and what not, after which they play a piece titled "Requiem" before wrapping with ESoM.

How is that show not about 9/11?

Which goes to show you how a lot of folks who think they're wired and connected to what's going in the marching arts (hey it's better than pageantry!) are ... well... not.

The OP of this topic quoted my review of Oregon Crudaers to start this topic. This is a great topic and since I made the quoted statement I feel as though I should offer an explanation to the BOA comment as stated in the review.

To me and this is going to ruffle a few feathers... Band/BOA and Drum Corps have a lot in common. In the words of us corps folks we refer to that as being a bando. But, the training that the young people receive prior to DCI is....marching band. While both are marching activities Drum Corps is in my mind the professional rank/step up

into the next level.

Thus BOA, which uses many of the DCI judges, has a similar relationship between the HS level and DCI. Take this year's Grand Champ Tarpon Springs- Their Marching/Music book and technique far exceed that of an average HS band. But those same design elements and extravagant props while awesome for the HS field serve to be just that- a Well Above Average marching ensemble that is still best suited to compete at the amateur level. To me, when we talk about elements that make drum corps different it's physicality, stamina, show demand including pro levels of marching and playing as well as visual interpretation and design. Oregon Crusaders as an example have perhaps Finalist caliber performers who are being asked to perform design elements that are more amateur in nature. BOA- while the most known and perhaps highest level of marching in the HS ranks across the country is still an amateur activity. Does it diminish the accomplishments of great HS bands that win Regionals/Super Regionals/Grand Nats? No, because many students in the BOA activity fall in love with marching and want to take the next step- DCI. Another example in my mind is the Crossmen's show. While the over large props and backdrops are at times what one might see on a BOA type show, the content of marching and playing as well as design elements over all are absolutely top level drum corps. That's why Crossmen are likely a finalist and looking to move up.

Sorry, just wanted to clear up what I was saying I the review and add to this great topic of discussion.

Wes P

Here's what I think makes a show "bando" or BOA:

Singing

Microphones

Flute/piccolo/Guitar - solos

Backfield drum staging

Heavy themes

Plies

Then you've got traditional show bands - keeping it simple and gettng as many kids involved with band as possible.

I enjoy band shows. I attend a couple during the off season. There are some really incredible bands out there that do a good job of producing a show without full-time marching members as with drum corps. I also appeciate how they emulate the top corps in DCI - it's an honor that they do it.

When drum corps season is over, it's over though. Marching band is its own seperate thing. I try to divorce myself of making comparisons after the DCI season is over because it's really a different animal.

Here's what I think makes a show "bando" or BOA:

Singing

Microphones

Flute/piccolo/Guitar - solos

Backfield drum staging

Heavy themes

Plies

Then you've got traditional show bands - keeping it simple and gettng as many kids involved with band as possible.

I enjoy band shows. I attend a couple during the off season. There are some really incredible bands out there that do a good job of producing a show without full-time marching members as with drum corps. I also appeciate how they emulate the top corps in DCI - it's an honor that they do it.

When drum corps season is over, it's over though. Marching band is its own seperate thing. I try to divorce myself of making comparisons after the DCI season is over because it's really a different animal.

Are you saying Cadets 1987 Appalachian Spring is a Bando Show?

That color guard certainly did plenty of ballet moves, corps proper did ballet moves including plie`.

I agree with a lot of what you say drumcorpsforever, but Bands while influenced by drum corps are rarely trying to emulate drum corps. DCI has always been an influence in the band world from Military to Corps style and beyond. Most HS directors are not looking at DCI to copy elements but are trying to use the best techniques possible that fit and improve their programs. Simply said- HS competitive directors are looking to be the very best HSthey can be at the art form. The similarity in the two animals is that this level of competitive spirit is what drives so many students to have the drive to march drum corps. As I said earlier, different but definitely related in the step up mentality that coexists between HS band and drum corps.

Edited by wesleyrp

Are you saying Cadets 1987 Appalachian Spring is a Bando Show?

That color guard certainly did plenty of ballet moves, corps proper did ballet moves including plie`.

No. Of course not. 1987 was a different era. We're talking about something that was fresh, beautifully executed, at a quality befitting the Cadets and drum corps at the time.

I suppose what I'm referencing are "ballet" effects that are done just to do them - not done especially well, somewhat overdone, almost cliche. It's rare when you see dance/ballet that really looks as it should look (for example, the dancer for Crown in front of the red curtain is something that you'd expect to see on Broadway - it's that good).

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

For me, ever since I begin watching Drum Corps, the big difference for me was the music. If a drum corps performs music that my kids played as stand tunes while in high school, then I am dissapointed. Also having so many PROPS is also dissapointing to me. I want to see movement and marching. Leave the PARK AND BLOW for college bands. And play difficult hard music, not pop songs