Show Meanings

Eye of the beholder. I could care less what the theme is. I either like what's happening on the field or I don't. I've yet to have a show that I did not like, read up on whatever the meeting was supposed to be and then all the sudden liked it.

• Like 4

Felliniesque was the world of Fellini (and was unfathomably deep).

It was a very good show, but it really wasn't deep at all.

• Like 1

I saw a deep explanation of the show and holy crap it was deep. I goes down to each individual member at some times.

• Like 1

I saw a deep explanation of the show and holy crap it was deep. I goes down to each individual member at some times.

Well, I should emphasize that I have no problem at all with excellent but shallow art. I watched BD's backstage videos last year, and their explanations of the show generally didn't enhance their performance for me; in some ways, I felt that they made the show seem less interesting. "Trust the art, not the artist", as the maxim says.

You had a limping circus clown contemplating suicide, and a black umbrella-toting angel (not God, not clergy) save him. You had Fellini's characters, the pants-less clowns, Claudia Cardinale, and seductive cabaret dancers, present an empty director's chair in honor of his anti-establishment vision of the world. My God.

Edited by Channel3
  • Like 2

You had a limping circus clown contemplating suicide, and a black umbrella-toting angel (not God, not clergy) save him. You had Fellini's characters, the clowns without pants, Claudia Cardinale and seductive cabaret dancers, present an empty director's chair in honor of his anti-establishment vision of the world. My God.

I thought the empty chair was because he was dead

• Like 1

You had a limping circus clown contemplating suicide, and a black umbrella-toting angel (not God, not clergy) save him. You had Fellini's characters, the clowns without pants, Claudia Cardinale and seductive cabaret dancers, present an empty director's chair in honor of his anti-establishment vision of the world. My God.

Channel3, this thread was made for you!
  • Like 1

Here are the show concepts and the placement they deserve at finals based on their depth of concept. Notice how the farther down the list you get, the fewer characters and the fewer verbs there are.

1) Blue Devils - The storybook characters from our childhood can still teach us how to listen.

2) Crown - Dante escaped the depths of hell through a belief in joy and love.
3) SCV - Inventors succeed because of their childlike imaginations.

4) Cavaliers - Sportsmen fiercely challenge each other to transcend their own limitations.

5) Madison - An homage to the great Gene Kelly.

= = =

6) Blue Knights - The philosophy of the songs of Lenon/McCarthy, but without the lyrics.

7) Bloo - Energy moves things in wave-like patterns.

8) Phantom - French composers and cliches about France.

9) Blue Stars - Glimpses of the depression-era circus.

10) Boston - Images from the Game of Thrones era.

11) Crossmen - Flight.

12) Cadets - Capricious, random associations about the number 10, generally unrelated to the underlying composer, his philosophy, the era or the music itself.

Edited by Channel3
  • Like 1

Hey, the Blue Stars said it was about depression-era traveling circuses.

Okay. I love the guard work of the conjoined twins. It's brilliant. I want to see more of it. I want them to be the through line of the whole show.